Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Link to report on Alberta

Link to report on Alberta

Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold
Default Link to report on Alberta

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/west_poll_angry_alta

Just for your interest
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:00 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Link to report on Alberta

Originally Posted by ladymoose
It sounds just like the UK to me!
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

It does sound just like the UK !! Too much stress and "keeping up with the Jones' ", too much hard work to pay for the too expensive house - resulting in aggression and despair - for some.

I haven't noticed it specifically here - but we are in a fortunate position. But I do hear the oft-quoted lament from the UK about the kids - how are they going to ever get on the housing market, etc ....

Ironic - we (BE in general) constantly quote that we want to come to Canada for it's community spirit, slower pace of life, the great outdoors, we want the UK of 30 years ago, blah, blah. The cities in Alberta ain't it, maybe !!!

However, to be honest, that little survey could have been taken almost anywhere, with similar percentage/ratio rises results, I suspect ... that's human 'progress' for you
Old Oct 15th 2007, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

I agree with you both

The report fits with the views of some of the families we've got to know who've lived here for quite some time - and not others. The old timers have seen the waves of development/prosperity before - and the lulls - they are very laid back about it all and just expect the cycles to continue.

From speaking to the newcomers here (and I'm talking about around Edmonton now), however, there is that "money-grabbing" undercurrent that makes me a little uncomfortable I must admit.

Talking to some neighbours the other day, they are considering selling their home (only bought recently) to cash in on the good prices. They want top-dollar (citing a price at least 50,000 more than is reasonable -or realistic - in my humble opinion), arguing that "that guy down the road" got close to that, and "my house is better than his" etc.

When I pointed out that if they were serious, they would be more likely to get a sale by slightly undercutting some of the surrounding real estate (which has not sold since the summer), they were not happy. It would mean walking away from maybe $10,000 which they are not prepared to do. I can understand this in a way, but when the value of your home has doubled in the last 2 years - what's 10 grand for a quick sale? One family has put their home on the market for 1.6 million - it's worth, maybe $800,000 - feels greedy to me!

Don't know what I'm trying to say really I still love it here, with the majority of people hard-working, laid back and happy - long term we've decided to stay. But some have got so caught up in this whole Alberta advantage vibe and are becoming more discontented and grumpy as the province as a whole grows richer. Human nature maybe?