British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   In limbo and hating it! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/limbo-hating-597676/)

Sleeping_Beauty45 Mar 15th 2009 9:05 am

Re: In limbo and hating it!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7382395)
Just out of interest, why are you not applying for TWP at POE? Just wondered why you'd decided to wait as it seems you just want to get out there!

Hope you hear soon. :)

I don't want to get to the airport with family in tow and get turned down! If it was just me and OH then yes but not with three kids, it is too risky with our set of circumstances.

Originally Posted by dewdrop (Post 7382443)
I was just going to ask you the same questions....along with a million more:rofl:

I'm originally from the UK, hubby is CND, and 3 children cnd but british by descent thru me. i came here when i was little,(you may find some of my posts if you do a search)? but mainly UK-heritage/family, absolutely hate the Canadian winters(we still have some snow lying about), can't really see myself here for a lifetime, no jobs here really as in the UK but might as well be there and seeing family the odd second or two..haha... 90% of family is in the UK so have missed out on loads.

Ok, i could ramble on and write war and peace...

Getting back to what u said, I am also feeling its unknown territory...still a culture shock none the less. even when we holidayed in UK, it was fab never had a problem but that was a holiday.

Hey! Why don't we swap houses then? lol:thumbsup:

Where are u situated in the UK? and how come U are leaving?

What with summer camps for your children alot do it on a weekly basis so they won't miss out. Its more for big sporty things like soccer(football, baseball) etc.

I only just peek in the 'Canada forums' from time to time..usually we're in the 'want to move back to the uk' forum.

so happy to help if you have any questions!

Have to say the thought of the winters bother me, hence applying for a 2 year TWP to start with - if we like we stay, if not then we consider our options.

I am the same as you but in reverse, I don't see a future for our kids here in the UK, I have a lot of concerns about where this country is heading, I think it will take at least a generation to fix what Labour has done to the country, I could go on, but I won't because I don't want to start yet another who-har on here. I can't be bothered with it.

I think you only get one shot at life and I would hate to die wondering what life could have been like had we taken the chance, I'd rather die knowing that we gave it a go and had an adventure, if it works out that is brilliant and if it doesn't then at least my kids will have a life-experience under their belt whilst they are young enough to adapt to whatever situation we happen to throw them in!

Plus I have a lot of family in the GTA, we have been going over there since I was 4 years old, and so Canada has always been a big part of my life. I liked what I saw when we went out last year to have a proper look around.

christmasoompa Mar 15th 2009 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Sleeping_Beauty45 (Post 7382518)
I don't want to get to the airport with family in tow and get turned down! If it was just me and OH then yes but not with three kids, it is too risky with our set of circumstances.

I completely understand - I said the same thing (as we've got 2 kids, a dog and 2 cats!) but got told I was being daft on here! ;)

alilane Mar 15th 2009 10:01 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7382649)
I completely understand - I said the same thing (as we've got 2 kids, a dog and 2 cats!) but got told I was being daft on here! ;)

oooohh.. dont get me worried.. I have 3 kids and a cat!

Actually I think me and OH have come to a point where we have decided he should go on ahead alone and I follow later - still haven't managed to sell the house so we figured he could afford to be there a few mths and be earning by the time the rest of us land... hate the thought of seperation (though strangely enough I think he's relieved he's child-free for a while lol) but guess you do what you have to do...:(

Sleeping_Beauty45 Mar 15th 2009 10:06 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7382649)

Why doesn't that surprise me lol! I want the piece of paper (or whatever it is) in my hand, so that there are no horrible surprises at the other end. If I'm not wrong you are going via intra-company transfer aren't you? So you also won't have a firm job offer and LMO in your hand (or do you??)

albertabound Mar 15th 2009 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by alilane (Post 7382669)

Actually I think me and OH have come to a point where we have decided he should go on ahead alone and I follow later - still haven't managed to sell the house so we figured he could afford to be there a few mths and be earning by the time the rest of us land... hate the thought of seperation (though strangely enough I think he's relieved he's child-free for a while lol) but guess you do what you have to do...:(

Hi, this is exactly what we have done. I am still here for a few reasons, house, birth of grandchild and generally sorting out this end. The separation is not good but we have skype!!!
My husband went on an Intra Company Transfer and no he did not have LMO or job offer but his company applied for "an opinion" from the Temporary Workers Unit in Calgary. This came back positive and along with a letter of introduction, this was all immigration were interested in. He also had to have articles of association etc.
He said it was plain sailing and got 3 year permit in about 10 minutes.
Now he is just waiting for me lol.
Tina

christmasoompa Mar 15th 2009 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sleeping_Beauty45 (Post 7382677)
If I'm not wrong you are going via intra-company transfer aren't you? So you also won't have a firm job offer and LMO in your hand (or do you??)

You're right (10 points to Sleeping Beauty!), we are going via a transfer so we won't have a LMO, just contract, job offer letter, etc. I can't bear the thought of being turned around if there is something wrong either, I know it should all be straightforward but couldn't face explaining to a 4 year old and 2 year old why we're not staying!!

:lol:

mr.mac Mar 15th 2009 11:44 pm

You're not alone....My wife and I are so sick of our lives at the moment. She moved here from Canada 3 years ago on an ancestral visa and we knew from day one that she would want to return....we me.

The first couple of years were fine as we used are time here to travel to places in Europe and the UK, but no we are at the stage where we want to settle down, buy a house, start saving etc.... and we just can't do that here in the UK.

She is really missing her family and friends, we don't really have any close friends here and we both hate our jobs in the UK. Some days can be really tough here in our dinky flat. I've suggested she go back early but she won't leave me :o

At least our application has gone off now...we just have to wait and save as much as we can.

I'm glad I can come on here.....we have to support each other as I find people around us just don't understand the limbo we are in.

:D

shanico2501 Mar 16th 2009 6:24 am

Hi Sleeping beauty

I understand thoroughly what you feel. At the moment my husband and I have just started the ball rolling in our move to Canada. He is just trying to keep us going withouit eating into our savings from the sale of our house and with the current financial climate that is proving to be a bit difficult but we are hanging in there. We have been thinking of the move to Canad for some time and have now decided to give it a go now... and with a 3 year old and a three month old many have said that we should just stay where we are (better the devil you know sort of attitude) than go into unknown surroundings. But as you said, its better to to die trying than not to try at all.

We are desperately hoping that things will work out but ..its quite difficult getting anyone to sponsor him but we will persevere. I think the worst thing about this situation is knowing that you are helpless and you are totally dependent on someone else's decision on whether to grant the TWP or not.

Like you we want to be in Canada yesterday but for us this is the fastest route as far as we know. Does anyone know of another route that is quicker?

Gremmie Mar 16th 2009 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Sleeping_Beauty45 (Post 7381657)
Jobs and supporting ourselves isn't an issue, that is more than covered if we get the twp.

Edited to add that we have a continuation of income and will be working within days of getting there, will just take a couple of days to get our SINs and a car, hope to be actually physically at work within three days so that wouldn't be an issue.

If you have an LMO and a cotract of work why not get your WP when you land like the rest of us, takes about 30 mins:confused::confused:

christmasoompa Mar 16th 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 7385527)
If you have an LMO and a cotract of work why not get your WP when you land like the rest of us, takes about 30 mins:confused::confused:

Re-read the thread..........pay particular attention to post no 16. ;)

Sleeping_Beauty45 Mar 16th 2009 8:15 am

Originally Posted by alilane (Post 7382669)

We are toying with this idea too, I would go out with the kids first and get the house and everything then DH would join us later as soon as he would be able - a month or so probably, but, despite him driving me to distraction most of the time at the moment, I really don't want to be seperated from him. It is a really big adventure and I want to set off on it with us as a complete family, somehow it feels wrong going on ahead.

Originally Posted by albertabound (Post 7383516)
Hi, this is exactly what we have done. I am still here for a few reasons, house, birth of grandchild and generally sorting out this end. The separation is not good but we have skype!!!
My husband went on an Intra Company Transfer and no he did not have LMO or job offer but his company applied for "an opinion" from the Temporary Workers Unit in Calgary. This came back positive and along with a letter of introduction, this was all immigration were interested in. He also had to have articles of association etc.
He said it was plain sailing and got 3 year permit in about 10 minutes.
Now he is just waiting for me lol.
Tina

If I was feeling brave I should have actually taken a quick trip out there myself with the paperwork we have but I really think because of the complicated nature of our application we are best waiting for the TWP. Hope you had a better weekend.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7383915)
You're right (10 points to Sleeping Beauty!), we are going via a transfer so we won't have a LMO, just contract, job offer letter, etc. I can't bear the thought of being turned around if there is something wrong either, I know it should all be straightforward but couldn't face explaining to a 4 year old and 2 year old why we're not staying!!

:lol:

Absolutely, my kids are older than that but this is still a huge upheaval for them, I don't want to take them out of school to find that I have to get the back in school if the application wasn't successful, there is just too much at risk.

Originally Posted by mr.mac (Post 7384351)
You're not alone....My wife and I are so sick of our lives at the moment. She moved here from Canada 3 years ago on an ancestral visa and we knew from day one that she would want to return....we me.

The first couple of years were fine as we used are time here to travel to places in Europe and the UK, but no we are at the stage where we want to settle down, buy a house, start saving etc.... and we just can't do that here in the UK.

She is really missing her family and friends, we don't really have any close friends here and we both hate our jobs in the UK. Some days can be really tough here in our dinky flat. I've suggested she go back early but she won't leave me :o

At least our application has gone off now...we just have to wait and save as much as we can.

I'm glad I can come on here.....we have to support each other as I find people around us just don't understand the limbo we are in.

:D

Hope it comes through quickly for you, that is one good thing about this forum, there is usually someone on here who understand.

Originally Posted by shanico2501 (Post 7385518)
Hi Sleeping beauty

I understand thoroughly what you feel. At the moment my husband and I have just started the ball rolling in our move to Canada. He is just trying to keep us going withouit eating into our savings from the sale of our house and with the current financial climate that is proving to be a bit difficult but we are hanging in there. We have been thinking of the move to Canad for some time and have now decided to give it a go now... and with a 3 year old and a three month old many have said that we should just stay where we are (better the devil you know sort of attitude) than go into unknown surroundings. But as you said, its better to to die trying than not to try at all.

We are desperately hoping that things will work out but ..its quite difficult getting anyone to sponsor him but we will persevere. I think the worst thing about this situation is knowing that you are helpless and you are totally dependent on someone else's decision on whether to grant the TWP or not.

Like you we want to be in Canada yesterday but for us this is the fastest route as far as we know. Does anyone know of another route that is quicker?

That is exactly it, before our application went off I had a heck of a lot of work to pull it all together, you have absolutely hit the nail on the head, it is the fact that it is completely out of my hands. It is the control freak in me that is struggling letting go.

I don't know of any quicker route other maybe some wiser people will come along and share if there is one.

Good luck in securing a position.

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 7385527)

As Christmasoompa said, it is explained above, I don't want to take the chance with the kids in tow, to take them out of school and to pack up all their belongings and then have to come back here again would be too cruel for them. Even though they know about the application and are excited at the prospect, if the application isn't successful for any reason then at least we can manage it from here without the huge upheaval.

If it were just me and OH then I'd be off like a shot!