Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lighten up, guys & gals!!

Lighten up, guys & gals!!

Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:39 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Lightbulb Lighten up, guys & gals!!

There seems to be a bit of negativity around at the moment after the (temporary?) departure of Glaswegian.

I can understand and also relate to some of the things which he has said.

I do believe, though, that most of the people who post on this forum try to keep within the spirit of the thing, and don't try and get all philosophical and
heavy handed about it. OK, some of the threads may be a bit infantile. I mean, anybody who can post 'Please!! Tell me this isn't true!!' must be a bit questionable.

However, I have always believed that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. ( and before somebody says "Who are you calling a fly?" - I'm sorry, really!!).

We are all trying to learn - whether it be about Canada as a country, or Canadians as people. I believe we all have something to offer each other.

Perhaps it is just me, but I prefer a light-hearted approach any day

Best wishes to all

Scouse
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:42 am
MCC
Forum Regular

MCC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lighten up, guys & gals!!

Originally Posted by Scouse
There seems to be a bit of negativity around at the moment after the (temporary?) departure of Glaswegian.

I do believe, though, that most of the people who post on this forum try to keep within the spirit of the thing, and don't try and get all philosophical and
heavy handed about it. OK, some of the threads may be a bit infantile. I mean, anybody who can post 'Please!! Tell me this isn't true!!' must be a bit questionable.

However, I have always believed that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. ( and before somebody says "Who are you calling a fly?" - I'm sorry, really!!).

We are all trying to learn - whether it be about Canada as a country, or Canadians as people. I believe we all have something to offer each other.

Best wishes to all

Scouse

I agree with you a 100%
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:58 am
Account Closed

ClosedAccount-xyz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MCC

I agree with you a 100%

and I do
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:27 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeanetteuk1
and I do

Ditto ..

One of the things I find interesting about these forums (fori ??) is that whilst we all have our external identity stripped away - e.g. no preconceptions about colour, age, style, weight, disability, etc etc - it can still get personal. And it's not just about the attitude that may come across in people's posts and questions it's often the reaction or sometimes the over-reaction to them that sets the ball rolling.

It does amaze me that some posts can degenerate fairly rapidly usually fuelled by someone who then disappears off the scene ....

I have learned a lot from this forum and although it has sometimes made me question my decision to move to Canada I have tried to use what I hear to my advantage...... not easy sometimes

I don't post very often but I do lurk around regularly and I for one appreciate the "old-timers" and their advice - even if some of it is most definitely NOT what I want to hear

Keep up the good work! And yes let's lighten up!

Jen
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely agree that this forum got more negative recently. Lets all try and post more postively.

We heard from the CHC a couple of days ago - not about our long waited for Medicals but for more info. regarding our education. At least we know that they're looking at our file now and we should'nt have too much longer to wait once we've submitted all the info. (posted some off today with covering letter and waiting for more to come).

Have a good day all!

Applied Skilled Worker - 24 Nov 2003
AOR - 29 Jan 2004
Medicals - ?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:29 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
I definitely agree that this forum got more negative recently. Lets all try and post more postively.

We heard from the CHC a couple of days ago - not about our long waited for Medicals but for more info. regarding our education. At least we know that they're looking at our file now and we should'nt have too much longer to wait once we've submitted all the info. (posted some off today with covering letter and waiting for more to come).

Have a good day all!

AOR - 29 Jan 2004
Medicals - ?

Just out of curiosity what additional information did they as you for?

Cheers, Helen
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:35 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee

Have a good day all!

AOR - 29 Jan 2004
Medicals - ?
They say that no news is good news, but I think as far as CIC goes, ANY news is GREAT news!!!

Very best wishes

Scouse
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:51 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I do tend to agree with you. But you must realise that if you get sentenced to a year or two at CHC's pleasure. We can act like caged animals from time to time. I believe I am due for parole soon. By that I mean that CHC will release me and give me a bit of time out ( for medicals) until they let me go to Canada with visa very soon after.

I pace around my cell, waiting for the postman to come every day, just to try and relieve my pent up anger, and hope I have not been forgotten.When he does not call I can take anger out on other forum users from time to time myself. As they are in the same situation. We all have little or no life until our sentance is served. As people get releases you will notice that everyone becomes happy bunnies and are all loved up to each other again.

Originally Posted by Scouse

Best wishes to all

Scouse
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:07 pm
Gone Walkabout

Originally Posted by gooding
I do tend to agree with you. But you must realise that if you get sentenced to a year or two at CHC's pleasure. We can act like caged animals from time to time. I believe I am due for parole soon. By that I mean that CHC will release me and give me a bit of time out ( for medicals) until they let me go to Canada with visa very soon after.

I pace around my cell, waiting for the postman to come every day, just to try and relieve my pent up anger, and hope I have not been forgotten.When he does not call I can take anger out on other forum users from time to time myself. As they are in the same situation. We all have little or no life until our sentance is served. As people get releases you will notice that everyone becomes happy bunnies and are all loved up to each other again.
No arguments from me, gooding. I have already served 10 months myself, but I do feel that sometimes a bit more moderation would not go amiss at times.

Hope your parole comes through ASAP.

Scouse
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

I must have missed all of this, too busy enjoying Canada to look at forums probably and this is what you have to remember when reading these forums!!!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

I don't like the way some members of this forum seem to have appointed themselves as 'forum police' and jump on new members or anyone who doesn't conform with their view of the world. I myself was attacked for pissing off 'regular members'. This isn't a club and your opinion isn't more valid the longer you contribute to the forum.
People have different experiences, some appear to come with a huge wad of cash, in which case it'll be far easier for them to settle in Canada as they won't have the urgent need to find work to pay the bills. Others are highly qualified with internationally transferable qualifications, they too will have a much easier time than others. Others come here from middlin' jobs and with modest savings, they have no less right to be here than anyone else and are obviously going to complain more than someone with 200K sat in the bank.
People should be more aware that everyone's circumstances are different
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:43 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seacreature
I myself was attacked for pissing off 'regular members'. This isn't a club and your opinion isn't more valid the longer you contribute to the forum.

People have different experiences, some appear to come with a huge wad of cash, in which case it'll be far easier for them to settle in Canada as they won't have the urgent need to find work to pay the bills. Others are highly qualified with internationally transferable qualifications, they too will have a much easier time than others. Others come here from middlin' jobs and with modest savings, they have no less right to be here than anyone else and are obviously going to complain more than someone with 200K sat in the bank.
Im guessing thats directed at me. Lets get this straight. I didnt attack you for pissing off members, your opinion is as you say, just as valid as mine or anyone elses. What i said or at least meant to say was that if you made the same first impression on employers as you did on the forum members here ( the regular posters who live in canada and have been to some extent through what you are going through and who talk about these things in private messages), it was no surprise to me that you were not impressing anyone into giving you a job.

I agree with your point that its tough believe it or not, and was trying to help maybe with my experience of the way the job market works here. If you want to ignore that, then fine, but please dont take it so personally.

Anyway, Ive had enough of this for a while, so Im joining Glaswegian on sabatical.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 29th 2005 at 9:49 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

This really drives me nuts, why do people have to attack one another and take everything so personally!!!!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by daisymoll
This really drives me nuts, why do people have to attack one another and take everything so personally!!!!
My particular pate hate is the comment....
If you don't like it, go back! Especially when the comment is from members in the UK.
I do like Canada, most of the time, however until you have been in the position of NEEDING to find a job, slaving away to find one and seeing all your efforts dissapear into a black hole I don't see how you can comment.
It's not that jobs here don't exist, they do, however often you find your efforts scuppered by spurious reasons such as not having Canadian this or Canadian that.
It's not a case of disliking Canada. I would merely like a fair crack at the whip at working that's all. It's not a lot to ask.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seacreature
I don't like the way some members of this forum seem to have appointed themselves as 'forum police' and jump on new members or anyone who doesn't conform with their view of the world. I myself was attacked for pissing off 'regular members'. This isn't a club and your opinion isn't more valid the longer you contribute to the forum.
Exactly. None of us have any more right than anyone else. We're all immigrants (except for us sponsoring spouses!). So how come that Burmonk nonsense was tolerated for so long by so many?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.