British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   License plates from Quebec (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/license-plates-quebec-846278/)

catpea33 Nov 1st 2014 5:35 pm

License plates from Quebec

Hi,

Hopefully someone on here has an answer for me! I recently moved to Ontario from Quebec for my new job. I recently got my car registered in Ontario and I've removed the Quebec license plate. Does anyone know if I'm supposed to return this to the SAAQ (or elsewhere) or is the license plate mine to keep (but obviously not to use since my registration has expired)? I haven't been able to find any info on returning a license plate and some of my colleagues have suggested that perhaps I'm not meant to return it.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Catherine

colchar Nov 1st 2014 6:16 pm

Re: License plates from Quebec

I've kept old plates here in Ontario so don't see any problem with keeping a Quebec plate.

DandNHill Nov 1st 2014 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by catpea33 (Post 11458345)
Hi,

Hopefully someone on here has an answer for me! I recently moved to Ontario from Quebec for my new job. I recently got my car registered in Ontario and I've removed the Quebec license plate. Does anyone know if I'm supposed to return this to the SAAQ (or elsewhere) or is the license plate mine to keep (but obviously not to use since my registration has expired)? I haven't been able to find any info on returning a license plate and some of my colleagues have suggested that perhaps I'm not meant to return it.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Catherine

We sent ours back to NS in late August as they were still valid for a year. We were supposed to get a partial refund but 2 months and we're still waiting!! :unsure:

catpea33 Nov 1st 2014 8:12 pm

OK thanks all! I will keep hold of them then in case I return to La Belle Province.

Thanks!

Steve_ Nov 2nd 2014 12:38 am

Normally you just keep them and hang them on your garage wall. Can you even use them again once the registration expires? Never tried that, thought you had to get a new plate.

Some jurisdictions you can have your licence suspended if your registration expires, so anyway I tried returning the plate in that instance and they just cancelled the registration and let me keep the plate.

There are some very odd rules, for example in Texas you have to get the car registered before you can get a licence, and in Florida you have to get the licence and the insurance before you can register the car, if dmv.org is to be believed.

JGK Nov 2nd 2014 1:44 am

I have old plates from QC, ON, and SK. I'm now in AB. No-one ever told me to do anything with the old plates.

Piff Poff Nov 2nd 2014 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11458577)
Normally you just keep them and hang them on your garage wall. Can you even use them again once the registration expires? Never tried that, thought you had to get a new plate.

Some jurisdictions you can have your licence suspended if your registration expires, so anyway I tried returning the plate in that instance and they just cancelled the registration and let me keep the plate.

There are some very odd rules, for example in Texas you have to get the car registered before you can get a licence, and in Florida you have to get the licence and the insurance before you can register the car, if dmv.org is to be believed.

We've reused plates where the registration has expired (staying in the same Province). We have quite a collection of old plates too, you don't have to hand them back.