Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Let's be honest

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Would you do it again?
No
27.50%
Yes
72.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Let's be honest

Old Sep 17th 2006, 1:22 pm
Cowtown

Default Re: Let's be honest

Originally Posted by willmore
Some yes....others just prefer to complain about their new life every chance they get!
Eh??

I wander in here twice a year and this is the abuse that I get??

I'll find a better place to waste m time in future

Hang on ... I tried that already ... I set up a forum for happy immigrants and nobody visited.

Hmmmm... I guess trainwrecks have a certain fascination .... looks like I have to put up with the angst of being a successful immigrant for another generation.

Where's Calgaryblade when you need him?

Old Sep 17th 2006, 1:27 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Calgal
Would I do it all over again? With hindsight, definitely NOT! The cost is just too darned, high (and I'm not talking financially).

Ask me tomorrow and the answer might be different.
Oh deep joy ... finding someone else with the unbalanced mind of an immigrant ... today its hell, tomorrow its good, who knows what it'll be the day after??

Nothing to do with altitude, is it?

Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:12 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Five weeks in now and at this particular moment; this frozen instant in time; this point in the journey.... I'm leaning towards no.

Ask me again next week at the same time and who knows, it might be yes?

It's cost a heck of a lot more financially than I would ever have believed. Emotionally it's been an interesting way of finding new forms of depression, anger, sadness, euphoria and hope. Maybe it will make me stronger and gain a new found appreciation of what I had back in Scotland and have now in Canada? I'm not a philosopher and can't go down that route.

One thing I'm sure of now is that I'm unsure of most things.

I'm glad we've done it as I know that I would always regret it if I turned the chance down.

So, I'm now going to take the blue pill.......and press the No button.

J

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Ignoring forum members who are students, spouses of students, people on work visas and spouses of people on work visas ... which admittedly rules out a fair chunk of the forum membership ... of the forum members who actually came to Canada as bona fide independant immigrants (ie. no existing ties in Canada, no freeloaders) and had to actually work to establish themselves, who would do it again?
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Eh??

I wander in here twice a year and this is the abuse that I get??

I'll find a better place to waste m time in future

Hang on ... I tried that already ... I set up a forum for happy immigrants and nobody visited.

Hmmmm... I guess trainwrecks have a certain fascination .... looks like I have to put up with the angst of being a successful immigrant for another generation.

Where's Calgaryblade when you need him?

PMSL - at least my feeble attempt at sarcasm wasnt totally wasted. That comment was NOT directed at you by the way!
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to do with altitude, is it?
No, I don't think so.............assuming you did mean altitute, and not attitude?
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:23 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by willmore
PMSL - at least my feeble attempt at sarcasm wasnt totally wasted. That comment was NOT directed at you by the way!
No matter how feeble you are, you comments are never wasted ... your blond moments will live on forever.

Keep working on the sarcasm, some day you'll master it

Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:24 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Calgal
No, I don't think so.............assuming you did mean altitute, and not attitude?
In Calgary, it's all about altitude ....

Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Would I do it again? You mean immigrate to Canada? Or leave the UK? Or have all night sex with Rachel Welch?
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:43 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Or have all night sex with Rachel Welch?
Dude ... isn't she like your granny's age?

Stops the fun when you have to search the black satin sheets for her false teeth ...

Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Dude ... isn't she like your granny's age?
Well actually, no. She's more my wife's age.

Stops the fun when you have to search the black satin sheets for her false teeth ...
Nonsense. You should try it.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 3:02 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly wouldn't apply to emigrate as a skilled worker applicant now. The timing with a two year wait when we applied in 2003 meant it fitted us perfectly. If it had been 4 years back then we'd probably never have started the whole business.

Also, had we known how the cost of housing and living would rise in Calgary since 2003 we might have not ended up here at least. I dunno. It's a bit horrifying, and I can see how moving here might not suit everybody.

That said, I have absolutely no regrets that we came. The boys have metamorphosed and are tremendous, and I really could not see that happening had we remained in the UK. The move has been stupendous for us!

We have just come back from a weekend trip to the mountains, made it to Moraine Lake and then to Golden, BC today. The beauty of it moved my OH to tears! (Not me, I'm made of sterner stuff! )
Old Sep 17th 2006, 3:06 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I certainly wouldn't apply to emigrate as a skilled worker applicant now. The timing with a two year wait when we applied in 2003 meant it fitted us perfectly. If it had been 4 years back then we'd probably never have started the whole business.

Also, had we known how the cost of housing and living would rise in Calgary since 2003 we might have not ended up here at least. I dunno. It's a bit horrifying, and I can see how moving here might not suit everybody.

That said, I have absolutely no regrets that we came. The boys have metamorphosed and are tremendous, and I really could not see that happening had we remained in the UK. The move has been stupendous for us!

We have just come back from a weekend trip to the mountains, made it to Moraine Lake and then to Golden, BC today. The beauty of it moved my OH to tears! (Not me, I'm made of sterner stuff! )

Good for you Morwenna. Always enjoy your posts. (Well, not exactly always, but almost always ).
Old Sep 17th 2006, 3:06 pm
Cowtown

Well actually, no. She's more my wife's age.
DOB circa 1940?

I'm a 60's child and I feel old enough as it is ....

Nonsense. You should try it.
How long would that all night be??

Old Sep 17th 2006, 3:36 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Morwenna. Always enjoy your posts. (Well, not exactly always, but almost always ).
Thankyou! ( I think)
Old Sep 17th 2006, 3:38 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

How long would that all night be??
Depends on the time of year and latitude I might think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.