Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Let them eat Cake!!

Let them eat Cake!!

Old Aug 10th 2006, 12:28 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Let them eat Cake!!

I almost can't believe I've not shared my love for the food over there with your good selves yet, but partly in response to those looking for British treats to spice things up, I DO! I really do, from somewhere deep inside.....

I'm normally a *coughs* willowy kind of guy, and far from a gourmand but when I spent 3 months in Montreal I think I gained about 15% of my body weight again... From double-doubles with blueberry bagels covered in strawberry cream cheese (I had to be coaxed the first time tbh) at Timmys, to $8 breakfasts with pancakes, whipped cream, fruit, streaky bacon, and all the coffee you can drink at a place called Tutti Fruttis on St Cat's, to enjoying everything from Moroccan, to French, to Japanese cuisine at various restaurants.. eating freshly made falafels from the greasy spoon once frequented by an ageing Trudeau... I adored it all...

It doesn't stop at eating out either... Kraft dinners (again, took a lot of convincing), sublime President's Choice buscuits, local blends of herbal Tea and Coffee from an independent bar/restaurant/coffeeshop place, the best choice of cheeses I've seen outside of a French market stall, and even the Smores bars I delighted so much in I brought a case of them back to share, it was a culinary wake-up call for me - even though I argued the toss with any Canadian who took the piss out of British food (it's the principle of the thing right?!)

There are bad points true, I missed my Warburtons bread, and never managed to find any proper rich tea biccies, or indeed, anyone adventurous enough to try my homemade Yorkshire puds (Aunt Bessies' are available for those whose grans weren't fullblooded geordies who told you the family recipe for them was part of your inheritance.) Poutine isn't all its cracked up to be, for some reason Canucks like flavouring some of their 'chips' with Gherkin ( )and you may have trouble finding familiar bacon (though I had to give up red meat to be with my g/f anyway so not such a downer for me) and chicken really does cost a king's ransom....

Maybe I was too young to be exposed to anything good enough to compare over here, but I really think a lot of you heading for the cities will find the food one of the extremely positive aspects of your new life. Costly poultry and lacklustre beer is far from the whole story I promise.

Last edited by windward; Aug 10th 2006 at 12:31 am.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let them eat Cake!!

Originally Posted by windward
Poutine isn't all its cracked up to be, for some reason Canucks like flavouring some of their 'chips' with Gherkin ( )
I've heard that Poutine is big in Quebec, but have never tried it (rarely see it offered here in the Okanagan).

I'm Canadian, but have to admit that I don't know anyone that flavours their chips with gherkin. Hmmmm... okay, hang on a sec, maybe you are talking about crisps/chips?! *chuckles*

After all that tasty food, it sounds like an exercise routine is eminent!

Oggy
Old Aug 10th 2006, 6:43 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

and even the Smores bars I delighted so much in I brought a case of them back to share
:scared:

Pre-packaged S'mores!!! The horror!!! You've been lead astray young man! They should only be eaten with dirty fingers, covered in ash and burnt marshmallow goo while your eyes are burning from the smoke. Amateur!

Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:22 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NessieOggy

I'm Canadian, but have to admit that I don't know anyone that flavours their chips with gherkin. Hmmmm... okay, hang on a sec, maybe you are talking about crisps/chips?! *chuckles*
Sure you don't mean dill, maybe? I've had dill-flavoured chips/crisps in lots of countries (and Ikea!). I quite like them.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:23 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Poutine isn't all its cracked up to be, for some reason Canucks like flavouring some of their 'chips' with Gherkin ( )and you may have trouble finding familiar bacon (though I had to give up red meat to be with my g/f anyway so not such a downer for me) and chicken really does cost a king's ransom....

I can eat, and do eat practically everything (not a stick thin type of girl) but I found beetroot as part of the salad in a burger in outback Tasmania a bit strange - I think I would prefer the gherkin.

It all sounds lovely, agh....oh, to be sitting down to brunch rather than sitting here with cold feet & all my furniture in the garden, having just had a call from the carpet fitters to say they have a puncture and will be some time fixing it.