Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Legal Name Change

Legal Name Change

Old Dec 5th 2014, 5:55 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Legal Name Change

I searched the forum but but alas this seems a pretty unique request.

I live in Alberta, and I am considering a legal name change (first name) to slightly change my first name. I am one week away from my Oath Ceremony, and I was intending to apply for my passport a few days later.

When would be the best - or least disruptive - time to start the change request?

I would assume delaying the passport application to make the change request after the Oath Ceremony? Would that cause issues when applying for the passport with a name that's different to the name on the Citizenship Certificate? Or would I send the legal name change documentation with the passport application?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Photoplex; Dec 5th 2014 at 5:57 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal Name Change

Here is a link to the appropriate website that explains the change of name process: Change of name - Service Alberta

Whether you wish to do so prior to, or after, your ceremony is a judgement call for you to make.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:55 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Here is a link to the appropriate website that explains the change of name process: Change of name - Service Alberta

Whether you wish to do so prior to, or after, your ceremony is a judgement call for you to make.
Thanks AC. I have that information already. Was really more curious as to the repercussions and difficulties it might introduce along the process.

The obviously least disruptive option is to just apply for the passport, put the whole citizenship thing to bed and close that chapter, and then a while after the passport arrives begin the name change process. It does however mean unnecessary expenditure. Now that I think about it, I'm prepared to pay more to make it simpler.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I'd think you just do the citizenship ceremony in your current name, then do your name change, and submit the name change certificate with your (Canadian or British) passport application.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 7:49 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by Gozit
I'd think you just do the citizenship ceremony in your current name, then do your name change, and submit the name change certificate with your (Canadian or British) passport application.
That was my original thinking too. Will mull it over. Might call CIC too and get some guidance from them.

My British passport needs to be renewed next year too... I wonder if my Canadian legal name change certificate will be valid for them back at the UK Passport Office...
Old Dec 5th 2014, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
That was my original thinking too. Will mull it over. Might call CIC too and get some guidance from them.

My British passport needs to be renewed next year too... I wonder if my Canadian legal name change certificate will be valid for them back at the UK Passport Office...
Hold... I just googled and found this Notice – Passport Canada – New requirements for supporting identity documents when applying for a passport

So i'd do it before your ceremony if you can so you get your certificate in your new name. Then apply for your Canadian passport in your new name and use the civil status certificate (name change certificate) to apply for your British passport as well; including a UK Deed Poll.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 8:34 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hold... I just googled and found this Notice – Passport Canada – New requirements for supporting identity documents when applying for a passport

So i'd do it before your ceremony if you can so you get your certificate in your new name. Then apply for your Canadian passport in your new name and use the civil status certificate (name change certificate) to apply for your British passport as well; including a UK Deed Poll.
Ugh... the ceremony is at the end of next week... As per the Service Alberta website on legal name change: "The average processing time is 6 to 8 weeks, however it can take longer if required."

Although it will be wasteful and more expensive, I think I will

1) Complete ceremony
2) Apply for "first time" passport
3) When I receive the passport apply for name change
4) Receive name change certificate, and apply for regular passport "renewal". Shouldn't be a "first passport" application any more and thus not subject to the requirement to update the citizenship certificate

Last edited by Photoplex; Dec 5th 2014 at 8:41 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 8:43 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ugh... the ceremony is at the end of next week... As per the Service Alberta website on legal name change: "The average processing time is 6 to 8 weeks, however it can take longer if required."

Although it will be wasteful and more expensive, I think I will

1) Complete ceremony
2) Apply for "first time" passport
3) When I receive the passport apply for name change
4) Receive name change certificate, and apply for regular passport "renewal". Shouldn't be a "first passport" application any more and thus not subject to the requirement to update the citizenship certificate
Nope, just read deeper and that won't work either. I'll have to get the citizenship certificate updated after the fact.

Damnit.

http://www.passport.gc.ca/info/secti...&region=Canada
Old Dec 5th 2014, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nope, just read deeper and that won't work either. I'll have to get the citizenship certificate updated after the fact.

Damnit.

Personal information - Passport Canada
Yep.......... Do your ceremony, change your name, update your citizenship then apply for your Canadian passport and renew your British passport. (You could have issues with the Brit one after you change your name so renew it ASAP after you change your name)
Old Dec 5th 2014, 9:12 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep.......... Do your ceremony, change your name, update your citizenship then apply for your Canadian passport and renew your British passport. (You could have issues with the Brit one after you change your name so renew it ASAP after you change your name)
Thanks Gozit. Funny how long I've been waiting for the Citizenship stuff to be digested and pooped out by CIC, and a week before I decide to change my name!
Old Dec 5th 2014, 11:18 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

does it cost much to do?
Old Dec 6th 2014, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Gozit. Funny how long I've been waiting for the Citizenship stuff to be digested and pooped out by CIC, and a week before I decide to change my name!

No worries! Luck of the draw I guess
Old Dec 6th 2014, 1:23 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by bats
does it cost much to do?
About $120 on the canadian side, and about another £100 on the UK side I think. *

That's after 8 strong craft beers. I'll check again in the morning
Old Dec 6th 2014, 2:12 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

About $120 on the canadian side, and about another £100 on the UK side I think. *

That's after 8 strong craft beers. I'll check again in the morning
ah, not bad. I had all my UK documents apart from my passport in the name I am known by not the name I was given as a child. In Canada they insist on using my original name which is bloody confusing when nobody knows who that is, apart from my mum.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 2:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
ah, not bad. I had all my UK documents apart from my passport in the name I am known by not the name I was given as a child. In Canada they insist on using my original name which is bloody confusing when nobody knows who that is, apart from my mum.
What was your original name then? Elvis? Photoplex? Persephone?

Why does anyone go to all this bother to change a first name, I wonder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.