Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Leaving Vancouver for small town BC

Leaving Vancouver for small town BC

Old Jan 16th 2017, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Leaving Vancouver for small town BC

I've no real experience, but Cumberland is a lovely little town. We drove through it a couple of weeks ago and they're building quite a few decent-sized new houses for under 500k, many with spectacular views. I get the impression it's quite the hip place, judging by the businesses on the (small) main street - nice-looking bookstore, microbrewery with a restaurant attached, stylish consignment store. The mountain biking is supposed to be great there, and it's a short drive to Mt. Washington, which we ski at quite often - a good resort in the good snow years. (Had a couple of dodgy seasons, but this year and last year have been good). Courtenay and Comox are nearby for bigger stores. I think there are some new houses going up in Courtenay too, so you might want to consider it as well.

Not sure I'd go for Qualicum Beach - I think it's more of a retiree spot, though it probably has its share of families too. I don't know enough about it, but Cumberland seems more like the spot to be if you have young kids.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
We're going on a recce to the Island in a few months time, so will add Qualicum to the list. I'm guessing it's pretty popular with retirees? More so than young families?
Median age in 2011 was 63.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...CSD&GC=5921023
Old Jan 17th 2017, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Susieh - thanks for the Cumberland insight. How do you find life on the island in general?

Defo think we're still a bit too young for Qualicum.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
You are comparing Vernon which is substantially bigger to the other places. 40k versus 4-10k the other communities. Obviously your wife would need to see whether there are any vacancies in the local vet practices, and job availabilities may be limited in a very small community for you. I can see the appeal of living in Gibsons although I think you may well be in the young minority!Whistler is beautiful but there are some pretty good other ski resorts scattered around BC which may well be just as accessible.

The attached photo- shows the idiots on Kalamalka Lake (far left in the photo) playing the iced hockey and skating on what looked like thin ice- not for me thanks
I think most of the places are within commuting distance of somewhere larger, where hopefully there are more opportunities. How is the commute from Vernon to Kelowna?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 2:50 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I think most of the places are within commuting distance of somewhere larger, where hopefully there are more opportunities. How is the commute from Vernon to Kelowna?
A lot of people do that one, highway is dualled all the way, yep, 45 minutes not difficult commute in view of a decent highway.

I think that you need to work out if you can leave the ocean or not, obviously that is a draw, we have lived by the sea a lot in our lives and we do love it and miss it although the lakes are a great second best. We have regular trips holidays and breaks to Vic/ Saltspring etc and are heading off into Washington and Oregon in the Summer for our saltwater fix

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jan 17th 2017 at 3:00 am.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

I'd miss the coast for sure, but would take the Interior's climate over Vancouver's. It's dumping rain right now and I'm already missing the snow.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 3:29 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I'd miss the coast for sure, but would take the Interior's climate over Vancouver's. It's dumping rain right now and I'm already missing the snow.
Yep, it does have its compensations living inland, 5cm snow due overnight, another few come tomorrow with way better temperatures than recently having had a very cold spell- it will be topping up the ski hills runs nicely!
Old Jan 17th 2017, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

How is the commute from Vernon to Kelowna?
Whilst not the shortest ever, it's not unreasonably long, it became a lot easier a few years ago when Highway 97 was fully improved, I know several people who do/did it as a daily work-home trip downtown-downtown.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future

Susieh - thanks for the Cumberland insight. How do you find life on the island in general?

Defo think we're still a bit too young for Qualicum.
I live in Victoria, so we're in the "big" city. This is our fifth year here and I really love it, but we moved from London, so it took a while to get used to living in a much smaller city.

Things I love about Victoria: the beaches, easy access to the outdoors, the fact we can nip over to friends' houses without spending an hour on the bus/tube, friendliness (took me a while to get used to strangers smiling at me or talking to me in the street), living in a nice, walkable neighbourhood.

Not so great: House prices have jumped in the last year. Getting off the island is a pain! I miss the variety of shops, museums etc you get in a bigger city.

Generally though, I love living on the island. There's good skiing, hiking and kayaking and tons of great campsites, so if you love the outdoors, it's a good place to be. We've made lots of friends (mostly people who've moved from elsewhere - born-and-bred Victorians tend to have their own well-established circles), and life is pretty laid back here.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Just noticed that you'd asked about Sooke too. The scenery is beautiful in Sooke and the houses are much more affordable than in Victoria (and way more affordable than Vancouver!). The road into Victoria is a pretty tedious drive though, and you'd need to do that every time you want to get off the island. I wouldn't want to commute on it every day, though lots of people do.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by susieh
Just noticed that you'd asked about Sooke too. The scenery is beautiful in Sooke and the houses are much more affordable than in Victoria (and way more affordable than Vancouver!). The road into Victoria is a pretty tedious drive though, and you'd need to do that every time you want to get off the island. I wouldn't want to commute on it every day, though lots of people do.
Thanks again for the info. I lived in London for the best part of a decade, so know where you're coming from. Went back for the first time in nearly three years at the end of 2015 and it felt a bit alien to me. Everywhere in the city seems wildly more flashy now and generally smarter. Not sure I liked it to be honest.

We've thought about Victoria, but the house prices seem to be escalating at a rate not far off Vancouver. We spent a weekend in Sooke and loved the area, although the town itself was a bit disappointing. However I noticed a couple of micro-breweries are opening up there, so that's a big plus I guess if you could land a job in Langford or the like, the commute wouldn't be too bad?

Just wish there were some damn trains in this province!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the info. I lived in London for the best part of a decade, so know where you're coming from. Went back for the first time in nearly three years at the end of 2015 and it felt a bit alien to me. Everywhere in the city seems wildly more flashy now and generally smarter. Not sure I liked it to be honest.

We've thought about Victoria, but the house prices seem to be escalating at a rate not far off Vancouver. We spent a weekend in Sooke and loved the area, although the town itself was a bit disappointing. However I noticed a couple of micro-breweries are opening up there, so that's a big plus I guess if you could land a job in Langford or the like, the commute wouldn't be too bad?

Just wish there were some damn trains in this province!
Yeah, Langford would definitely be a shorter drive, but the road to Sooke is twisty and busy, with few places to overtake. I agree that the town of Sooke isn't very exciting, but if microbreweries are opening up, maybe that will change! I miss trains too! The trains on Vancouver Island stopped running the year before we moved here. It comes up on the news every few months about how there are plans to get them going again, but I'm doubtful that'll ever happen!

I know what you mean about London. The part I lived in has changed completely since I left. It used to be a typically grotty south London area and now it's hipster central!
Old Jan 21st 2017, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if i should be posting this here, but i am also looking to move to similar regions especially to Penticton or Osoyoos. anyone got any thoughts on Penticton or Osoyoos?

in terms of flights, general transport facilities and maybe commuting to Vancouver?
cost of living, house prices etc

i am looking for a quiet life

thanks in advance
Old Jan 21st 2017, 3:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
Not sure if i should be posting this here, but i am also looking to move to similar regions especially to Penticton or Osoyoos. anyone got any thoughts on Penticton or Osoyoos?

in terms of flights, general transport facilities and maybe commuting to Vancouver?

thanks in advance
google maps suggests that it's four hours from Penticton to Vancouver. Are you thinking of a weekly commute?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC

thanks in advance
Penticton has an airport, don't know about Osoyoos, but most people fly from Kelowna which has many more destinations.

Neither of them are within 'commuting' range of Vancouver - it's about four hours from the Okanagan to the coast. You could arguably do weeks in one, weekends in the other.

Penticton will probably be the quieter of the two - Osoyoos is very much a playground. House prices aren't cheap anywhere in the Interior, but again I'd guess Penticton lower (as most people would choose Kelowna or Osoyoos, given a choice of the three).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.