Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK P85 HMRC Question

Leaving UK P85 HMRC Question

Old Jun 4th 2015, 8:30 am
Just Joined

BronteBantam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving UK P85 HMRC Question

I landed in Canada on the 2nd of April as a PR. I then had to return to the UK a week later to finish a work contract. I am due to return to Canada on Monday (8th June) and am not planning to return to the UK again.

I continued to get paid and taxed in the UK up until the (5th of June) however this money won't go into my bank account until the last day of June.

I am currentl;y filling in my Leaving the UK tax form and am a little confused what to put on the form

How long had you lived in the UK before the date you left (or the date you intend to leave)?

Were you a resident in the UK in the tax year before the tax year you left?

How many days do you expect to spend in the UK between your date of leaving the UK and the following 5 April?

Will you be working full-time outside the UK? Y/N Hopefully

Will you continue to have your salary paid from the UK? Y/N Not after 5th of June however they have said they may offer me some non contracted work on an ad hoc basis

Any help appreciated
Old Jun 4th 2015, 9:50 am
Just Joined

BronteBantam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving UK P85 HMRC Question

In addition, I know I can claim some or all the UK tax back. However will I just be required to pay this back to the Canadian Authorities at the end of the year?
Old Jun 4th 2015, 5:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BronteBantam
How long had you lived in the UK before the date you left (or the date you intend to leave)?
20 years? 30 years? You know better than me.

Were you a resident in the UK in the tax year before the tax year you left?
Were you resident (for tax purposes) in the 2014 / 2015 tax year? Probably. But again, you know better than me.

How many days do you expect to spend in the UK between your date of leaving the UK and the following 5 April?
Probably none, but again ...

Yes if you are emigrating.

Will you continue to have your salary paid from the UK? Y/N Not after 5th of June however they have said they may offer me some non contracted work on an ad hoc basis
No.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 5:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In addition, I know I can claim some or all the UK tax back. However will I just be required to pay this back to the Canadian Authorities at the end of the year?
No.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 1:59 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Any help appreciated
You can't be on a UK payroll if the work is being done outside the UK, e.g. from home in Canada. If you do that you have to either register as self-employed here (i.e. get a business number) or set up a company that has a Canadian payroll, or (the least likely option) the UK company sets up a Canadian payroll to pay you through.

If you physically go to the UK to work, then obviously this rather dents your claim to no longer live in the UK and HMRC may well decide to tax you on your worldwide income, not just your UK-source income.

So the answers to those questions is, yes, followed by no. Even if the company in the UK were still paying your salary, they would have to set up a Canadian payroll to pay you through, so it's not "paid from the UK" technically speaking, it would be Canadian-source.