Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Leaving family and friends behind

Leaving family and friends behind

Old Dec 28th 2008, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice
Default Leaving family and friends behind

I am moving to Toronto early next year and wanted to know if anyone has experienced doing the big move alone. I live in London and have all my family and friends there. I am moving to Toronto to join my Canadian partner. Any shared experiences of this will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by KerinaK2008; Dec 28th 2008 at 2:48 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 28th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: Leaving family and friends behind

We haven't done this yet and we have 2 children--11 & 6.

We did however move to Scotland for near 3 years and we did experience a lot of tears and backlash--with Canada when it comes it will be worse probably as you are so far away.

However, YOU have got to do what YOU consider to be the best thing for YOU. If this means moving on then do it, as friends and family should always be there but the opportunity may not.

Hope this helps

JET
Old Dec 28th 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving family and friends behind

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008
I am moving to Toronto early next year and wanted to know if anyone has experienced doing the big move alone. I live in London and have all my family and friends there. I am moving to Toronto to join my Canadian partner. Any shared experiences of this will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Kerina welcome to BE

I'm sure there are a quite a few people on here who will be able to relate to how you are feeling, it's not easy leaving everything that's familiar to start a new life but all you can do is give it a go

When I moved to Montreal back in 1999 with my Canadian OH I hadn't even been to Canada for a holiday. I'm sure with the support of you partner and his family and friends things will work out. Good luck