Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Least amount of Spiders

Least amount of Spiders

Old Feb 9th 2013, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

AnnaMaria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Least amount of Spiders

Hi. This is probably going to seem like a strange/pathetic thread, but my family have been wanting to move to Canada for a while now, it's just a matter of making sure we have the right qualifications that will make getting VISAs easier. But, from the time I spent visiting family in the US this summer, I am a little concerned about the spiders in Canada.

Now, I do not just dislike spiders - I am completely petrified of them. A huge one crawled over my hand while I was working at a dairy farm and I had a complete panic attack and they had to send me to lie down I was shaking so badly. I don't know why spiders do this to me! I love snakes, other insects don't bother me and all of my friends say I'm the most confident, brave person they know. But I cannot cope with spiders no matter what the situation.

So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what areas of Canada they would recommend for its lack of spiders. I know everywhere has them, but I'm hoping there are places where they're very uncommon or really tiny and harmless. Thank you

P.S. you don't need to tell me how pathetic my fear of them is - I am well aware! I have tried everything to get over it.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Least amount of Spiders

Weirdly, I haven't seen many spiders at all in my area - nothing like the UK. I get small greenish/white "blackfoot" spiders that like to hang around the house and spindly 'daddy longlegs' types in the basement, but I haven't seen anything bigger. Outside I have seen a couple of garden spiders, but again nothing huge. I've never seen a wolf spider here nor a cat faced spider (which are the larger ones) but they may be more prevalent in other areas of Canada.

I was going to post a link but it had pictures, thought it might freak you out!

Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by siouxie
Weirdly, I haven't seen many spiders at all in my area - nothing like the UK. I get small greenish/white "blackfoot" spiders that like to hang around the house and spindly 'daddy longlegs' types in the basement, but I haven't seen anything bigger. Outside I have seen a couple of garden spiders, but again nothing huge. I've never seen a wolf spider here nor a cat faced spider (which are the larger ones) but they may be more prevalent in other areas of Canada.

I was going to post a link but it had pictures, thought it might freak you out!

The daddy longlegs ones can get quite big though can't they. I saw one in the US that could easily outspan my palm. Needless to say I made the horse step on it. And, although they're small, I thought the blackfoot spiders were one of the most dangerous ones in Canada! I hoped they were rare...maybe I should forget Canada and move to Antarctica to play with the penguins...

Haha, thanks for the consideration! Surprisingly I'm not too bad with pictures - although they do make me shiver - because a) they can't get me and b) they're not moving. The leg movement creeps me out completely!
Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:39 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good question AnnaMaria, and I'm with Siouxie, I haven't really noticed any to speak of. I have just looked in The Nature Guide to Atlantic Canada, under 'Spider' and all it lists is 'Eastern Daddy Long Legs'...we surely must have more than that? The mob over in the west might have more as they have better weather, but it doesn't seem we are overrun here. Best of luck.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:42 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

The Eastern Daddy Longlegs have tiny bodies, and are not actually spiders, they are harvestmen from the species Opiliones and do not make webs - same book
Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:43 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

They are all over BC. Not like as in a horror movie kind of thing but you'll find them in every city.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'd think Nunavit would be fairly free of spiders. Nice climate too.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:52 pm
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Novo! I like the you in holiday mode! You look the bees knees in a jaunty beret
Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Novo! I like the you in holiday mode! You look the bees knees in a jaunty beret
Merci. But don't fail to notice the carefully chosen angle between les baguettes.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on where you will be moving to. Canada is a vast country with many different climates and, consequently, habitats.

In this part of the world there are teo potential nasties. Down on the coast I think it is just a bit too cool for black widows. I think I saw one once but I can't be sure. It is hard to identify a squished one. There are other club foot spiders that look similar but are compeletely harmless. They are more common in the interior.

There are also hobo spiders. These were imported from Europe where they lived in fields and didn't interct much with humans. Here they have been known to wander into houses. They have a nasty bite.

That is it for things to be wary of.. I see fewer spiders in the house than I did in the UK. I have never seen a big house spider here.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

It's a good question AnnaMaria, and I'm with Siouxie, I haven't really noticed any to speak of. I have just looked in The Nature Guide to Atlantic Canada, under 'Spider' and all it lists is 'Eastern Daddy Long Legs'...we surely must have more than that? The mob over in the west might have more as they have better weather, but it doesn't seem we are overrun here. Best of luck.
The Eastern Daddy Longlegs have tiny bodies, and are not actually spiders, they are harvestmen from the species Opiliones and do not make webs - same book
OK So I'm guessing they're more similar to the flying English Daddy Longlegs than spiders? I guess I could cope with that.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ha, yeah I should imagine not many survive up there! Having said that I also doubt I would survive up there!

Originally Posted by Hawk13
They are all over BC. Not like as in a horror movie kind of thing but you'll find them in every city.
I though BC would be one of the worst for them as it has one of the nicest climates. Which is a shame because as an actress, I've been told BC would be the best choice because of the amount of work there. I think I'd rather commute though than live with the eight-legged freaks!

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It really depends on where you will be moving to. Canada is a vast country with many different climates and, consequently, habitats.

In this part of the world there are teo potential nasties. Down on the coast I think it is just a bit too cool for black widows. I think I saw one once but I can't be sure. It is hard to identify a squished one. There are other club foot spiders that look similar but are compeletely harmless. They are more common in the interior.

There are also hobo spiders. These were imported from Europe where they lived in fields and didn't interct much with humans. Here they have been known to wander into houses. They have a nasty bite.

That is it for things to be wary of.. I see fewer spiders in the house than I did in the UK. I have never seen a big house spider here.
I like the sound of less being in the house. I can kind of deal with them a little better when they're outside. It's when it gets wetter here and they all migrate inside that I just sit in the middle of the room with a can of bug spray!

From the sound of what I read online and on here Eastcoast sounds better for me unless I was willing to live up in the mountains - which would ceertainly make my work more difficult. What's the other wildlife like though, I read that dogs often get badly quilled by porcipines and attacked by coyotes...I don't think my pup would be very happy at moving somewhere like that! He's quite used to being the biggest baddest thing on the block
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

I'm not to keen on them either but here in Cape Breton there seems to be less than there were in Surrey
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:46 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I hardly see any here (AB). Would now be the wrong time to post the video thats doing the rounds about the spiders 'falling from the sky' in Brazil????
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice

I havent had one spider in my house in the three years ive lived here and im happy about that because the ones i had in france were enormous !!
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnaMaria
The daddy longlegs ones can get quite big though can't they. I saw one in the US that could easily outspan my palm. Needless to say I made the horse step on it. And, although they're small, I thought the blackfoot spiders were one of the most dangerous ones in Canada! I hoped they were rare...maybe I should forget Canada and move to Antarctica to play with the penguins...

Haha, thanks for the consideration! Surprisingly I'm not too bad with pictures - although they do make me shiver - because a) they can't get me and b) they're not moving. The leg movement creeps me out completely!
The black foot spider is apparently mildly venomous (I didn't know that) but not harmful to humans. The ones in my house are really small, less than 1/2" with legs and look really fragile, like pale green glass.

Daddy longlegs spiders are very much like harvesters, so spindly and they run away as soon as they see you, I only ever see them in the basement around the window.

There is a common house spider in Ontario, but it isn't like those nasty big ugly brutes we get in the UK, these grow to a maximum of 1" long (with legs).

If you don't mind spider pictures, here are the 3 above, for reference.
http://www.yorkpestcontrol.ca/black_..._spider_e.html

As I said, I have seen far less spiders here than I had in my house in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.