Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Learning to drive, uk or Canada

Learning to drive, uk or Canada

Old Jul 8th 2015, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

sarahkk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning to drive, uk or Canada

Hello, we are possibly moving to Canada in the next few months. I can't drive which isn't an issue where we are currently living but I think that it'll probably be necessary in Canada.
Am I better off learning and hopefully passing my test before we go or am I better waiting and learning in Canada?
If anyone has experience or advice with this I would be very grateful, thanks!
Old Jul 8th 2015, 8:30 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to drive, uk or Canada

Where are you moving to? Each Province has it's own rules and also if you with to learn standard/manual you may have a problem finding a instructor here and the lessons will be more expensive than learning in a automatic.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

It's looking like Halifax with a possibility of New Brunswick
Old Jul 8th 2015, 9:30 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Tough one. If you learn here and get any Canadian license you can have problems converting it back to a full (including manual) UK license in the future.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 9:47 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Tough one. If you learn here and get any Canadian license you can have problems converting it back to a full (including manual) UK license in the future.
Not necessarily. A letter form the licensing authority in the province stating that there is no testing differentiation between standard and automatic in that province works with DVLA.

The bigger issue is going to be if there is a GLP in the province, then they have to have an L for a year and N for 2 years. This is the case in BC and soon going to be in NS.

COme with a license from overseas that has been issued within the last two years and the driver still has to go into the GLP.

Service Nova Scotia - Registry of Motor Vehicles - Graduated Drivers Licence System
Old Jul 9th 2015, 11:36 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Not necessarily. A letter form the licensing authority in the province stating that there is no testing differentiation between standard and automatic in that province works with DVLA.
Not that I'm aware of

In my experience with switch my wife driving licence form Canadian to UK she had to sit a test to get a standard licence.

The DVLA would only issue a automatic licence, and to add the police will 'often' (not always) tolerate a north American driving a Standard on an automatic licence on a spot check, and give a verbal warning
But be involved in anything outside of a spot check or happened to have a defect, then expect it to become a chargeable offence and invalidate your insurance

To directly quote the DVLA "You can only drive automatic vehicles - to drive manual vehicles you need to prove that you passed a manual car test."https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-...britain/canada

getting that proof is almost impossible if as you say "A letter form the licensing authority in the province stating that there is no testing differentiation between standard and automatic in that province"

our experience was they needed written proof that the Canadian test was done in a standard car, something that simply wasn't available!

Last edited by MikeUK; Jul 9th 2015 at 11:40 am.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 1:34 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My UK license was restricted to automatic only. In order to get a full unrestricted UK license I had to provide documentation that I had done my Canadian driving test on a manual car (I did not), or otherwise I had to sit a UK road test.

OP I don't know if it makes much difference learning in UK or Canada... if you are planning on staying in Canada longer-term then learning in Canada might be better just so that you can learn all the Canadian road layouts, rules, etc and not have to re-learn all of that while also learning to get comfortable driving in a new country - just seems a bit ridiculous to throw so many more variables into the equation. However, do ensure that you do your Canadian driving test on a manual car so that you don't have any issues if you end up needing to convert your license back to a UK one down the road.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 2:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Not that I'm aware of

In my experience with switch my wife driving licence form Canadian to UK she had to sit a test to get a standard licence.
My daughter got a letter from ICBC and got a UK license for standard without a problem.

My niece came here with a license from the UK she had for less than 2 years, she had to go into the GLP as a Novice driver.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

It is so easy to pass the driving test in Canada. Most of the drivers here are zombies with steering wheels who rarely look in their rear view mirrors or indicate. They are symptomatic of a driving test scheme that lacks rigour, and often takes place in low density traffic environments.

In the UK, my head was constantly moving around like a nodding dog looking around while shifting gears manually, and negotiating roundabout exits.

Suggest you take the test in Canada.

Last edited by Cyan; Jul 9th 2015 at 2:52 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 2:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cyan
It is so easy to pass the driving test in Canada. Most of the drivers here are zombies with steering wheels who rarely look in their rear view mirrors or indicate. They are symptomatic of a driving test scheme that lacks rigour, and often takes place in low density traffic environments.

In the UK, my head was constantly moving around like a nodding dog looking around while shifting gears manually, and negotiating roundabout exits.

Suggest you take the test in Canada.
I agree, if the OP is moving to Canada, then taking the test there seems a much better idea, for one thing she would not have to learn driving again as she would learn how to drive on the right, in the UK she would be taught the rules for driving on the left, then would have to unlearn those and learn how to drive on the right.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:06 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I agree, if the OP is moving to Canada, then taking the test there seems a much better idea, for one thing she would not have to learn driving again as she would learn how to drive on the right, in the UK she would be taught the rules for driving on the left, then would have to unlearn those and learn how to drive on the right.
My husband said with moving here, the toughest thing to get used to was just simply how the roads worked in terms of layout, right of way, signals, etc. THe left/right he never found much of a problem to switch - even when my dad visited me while I was living in the UK, he rented a car once and said the left/right adjustment happened pretty quick, but working out how the hell the roads worked, what the signs meant, who had right of way, all that kind of stuff, was WAY harder to get his head around.

For THAT aspect of things, I think OP is better off learning in Canada, if that's where she is planning on staying longer term.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies, definitely given me a lot to consider!
I think I would rather learn in Canada as it does seem a bit silly to learn here and within a few weeks have to learn again in Canada (other side of the road etc)
I'll start looking in to the process in Canada so I'll know what needs to be done once we are there.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 5:44 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

This is a better answer than mine... hadn't thought of the G1 issue.

Originally Posted by Aviator

The bigger issue is going to be if there is a GLP in the province, then they have to have an L for a year and N for 2 years. This is the case in BC and soon going to be in NS.

COme with a license from overseas that has been issued within the last two years and the driver still has to go into the GLP.

Service Nova Scotia - Registry of Motor Vehicles - Graduated Drivers Licence System
Old Jul 9th 2015, 5:58 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahkk
Hello, we are possibly moving to Canada in the next few months. I can't drive which isn't an issue where we are currently living but I think that it'll probably be necessary in Canada.
Am I better off learning and hopefully passing my test before we go or am I better waiting and learning in Canada?
If anyone has experience or advice with this I would be very grateful, thanks!
In Canada you just have to weave an automatic in and out of a couple of cones.

You'll be a much worse and dangerous driver but you'll obtain your license more easily.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Learn how to drive properly. Read in the UK not Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.