Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Learning to drive Ontario

Learning to drive Ontario

Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Learning to drive Ontario

Hi,

I have been driving for a long time and plan to swap my UK licence to an Ontario one when we arrive. My husband however, hasn't ever learned to drive. The intention was to learn when we get to Markham.

I've been reading up and finding information out online. Am I correct that you sit your G1 pass that then you need to be accompanied in the vehicle with a full qualified/insured driver for 2 years and you can't drive between certain times?

It seems like a real pain learning there as a grown up (33 years old) and I just wondered if the info I'd found was right?

Would there be any point learning/passing here before we go? Do you need to hold the licence here for X amount of time before you can swap it?
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to drive Ontario

Originally Posted by Bella Cullen
Hi,

I have been driving for a long time and plan to swap my UK licence to an Ontario one when we arrive. My husband however, hasn't ever learned to drive. The intention was to learn when we get to Markham.

I've been reading up and finding information out online. Am I correct that you sit your G1 pass that then you need to be accompanied in the vehicle with a full qualified/insured driver for 2 years and you can't drive between certain times?

It seems like a real pain learning there as a grown up (33 years old) and I just wondered if the info I'd found was right?

Would there be any point learning/passing here before we go? Do you need to hold the licence here for X amount of time before you can swap it?
You need to have held a full UK licence for two years in order to swap, unfortunately.

He will need to be accompanied and have restrictions for 12 months, 8 months if he does a 1 week driver training course.

The second year, provided he passes his G1, he will be restricted as to when and where he can drive.

The 3rd year, provided he passes his G2, he will have a full licence.

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...ce-new-drivers

Old Sep 18th 2013, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie. Bit of a pain in the bum. He walks everywhere here and at the moment walks 45 mins to work but it'll be more restrictive with him not driving in ON.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie. Bit of a pain in the bum. He walks everywhere here and at the moment walks 45 mins to work but it'll be more restrictive with him not driving in ON.
You are very welcome.

Yes it's a pain - which is why I haven't bothered, lol.

Depending on where you are going to be living in Ontario, there is public transport available.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra.../transit.shtml

Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep it's a nuisance, in BC it's similar, Learners test, learners permit for a year, then you can take the N test, N for 2 years, then finally you can take the full license test. It makes sense if you're a kid, but if you're an adult, being forced to wait years between tests is a pain in the butt.

That being said I've been driving around without the N decal for over a year now and not run into any issues (touchwood)
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

We'll be in Markham initially as that's where his work is but I'd prefer to live a little further out and I don't relish having to drive him to and from work every day which when I decide to start working again it wont be practical.

Well it is what it is, I'm sure we'll figure it out.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:09 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be in Markham initially as that's where his work is but I'd prefer to live a little further out and I don't relish having to drive him to and from work every day which when I decide to start working again it wont be practical.

Well it is what it is, I'm sure we'll figure it out.
Depending where he is working its likely that he may be able to take public transit if he works in Markham

Markham has a population of 332,000, so its not a small place - in an area of 212.47 km2 (82.04 sq mi) - rush hour the roads are really busy with everyone & I mean everyone drives like a bunch of idiots
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:33 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
everyone drives like a bunch of idiots
part of the charm...
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that your husband learn to drive in the UK. That's only because I find that the driving education over here is generally poor. After two years, he would be able to swap his license for a G.

Professionally, I've been trying to do something about this by making educational driving apps for Ontario (see my signature) and working with the Ontario Safety League. Canadians have a long way to go to improve road safety but sadly provincial governments don't want to invest too much into it.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
I would suggest that your husband learn to drive in the UK. That's only because I find that the driving education over here is generally poor. After two years, he would be able to swap his license for a G.

Professionally, I've been trying to do something about this by making educational driving apps for Ontario (see my signature) and working with the Ontario Safety League. Canadians have a long way to go to improve road safety but sadly provincial governments don't want to invest too much into it.
The OP and her husband are moving to Ontario early next year on a TWP, therefore there would not be time for him to complete a minimum of 2 years of holding a full licence from the UK in order to be able to swap a licence.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The OP and her husband are moving to Ontario early next year on a TWP, therefore there would not be time for him to complete a minimum of 2 years of holding a full licence from the UK in order to be able to swap a licence.
Do you mean they are not staying more than 2 years in Ontario/Canada in order to do the swap or that he needs to spend 2 years in the UK with the license in order to qualify for the swap?

My wife got her UK license a couple of months before we moved to Canada. She simply waited the two years here before she swapped hers for a G.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
Do you mean they are not staying more than 2 years in Ontario/Canada in order to do the swap or that he needs to spend 2 years in the UK with the license in order to qualify for the swap?

My wife got her UK license a couple of months before we moved to Canada. She simply waited the two years here before she swapped hers for a G.
Really? I am very suprised they allowed her to do that as they normally require proof that you have been driving with a full licence in the originating country for 2 years before they will allow an exchange - which obviously she couldn't have as she was in Canada, not the UK.

Interesting.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Really? I am very suprised they allowed her to do that as they normally require proof that you have been driving with a full licence in the originating country for 2 years before they will allow an exchange - which obviously she couldn't have as she was in Canada, not the UK.

Interesting.
Exactly. That surprised us too. They didn't ask any questions to ensure she spent the two years driving in the UK.

Now, having said that, I don't know whether she was lucky or whether this is the norm. Before reading this thread, I always assumed it's the way the system is over here even though it's silly.

Last edited by SambaDeAmigo; Sep 19th 2013 at 11:42 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

I know in Alberta if you haven't had your UK licence for 2 years you can still exchange it for a Class 5 AB licence however it will be a Graduated Driver Licence until you have 2 years experience.

With that you can still drive on your own however there are simply a few restrictions placed on you. Not sure if it works like this in ON.

Tim
Old Sep 20th 2013, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

We'll be coming on a twp whilst going through the pnp/pr process.

I don't know if it's a good idea for him to learn here before going there. Seems daft learning the rules of the road here to change it up straight after passing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.