Leap of Faith

Old Feb 27th 2020, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

missot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leap of Faith

Hello all,

I last logged in back in 2007 when I moved over to Vancouver and worked as an occupational therapist. Since then I met and married a Canadian, had a daughter in Canada, a son in the U.K. and we are now currently living in the U.K. contemplating a return to Canada! I loved my time in Vancouver and was really happy there. After we had our daughter in 2012, my husband wanted to live in the U.K. to do his medical consultancy training for 5 years. I did not want to leave Vancouver and the move nearly broke our marriage. But we survived and now that he is fully qualified and has 2 years experience under his belt, we’re in a position where we can make a choice as to which country to raise our kids.

We have been back three times over the past years and it was wonderful to see old friends and go to places we loved. Our daughter especially felt happy and at ease, perhaps because it felt like home to her. However, a return to Vancouver all feels very daunting from that time 13 years ago when I was 28, footloose and fancy free and went where the wind took me! Now, we have responsibilities that we need to get right. We need to find the right schools for our children who are 8 and 4. Our daughter is high functioning autistic and comes with a unique set of strengths and challenges. My husband is keen to carry on with his high level career but most of his colleagues and associates are retiring! I have an ageing mum to think of in the U.K...the list of worries is endless.

Does anyone have any advice on taking this leap of faith?

Thank you
Old Feb 27th 2020, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leap of Faith

Originally Posted by missot
Hello all,

I last logged in back in 2007 when I moved over to Vancouver and worked as an occupational therapist. Since then I met and married a Canadian, had a daughter in Canada, a son in the U.K. and we are now currently living in the U.K. contemplating a return to Canada! I loved my time in Vancouver and was really happy there. After we had our daughter in 2012, my husband wanted to live in the U.K. to do his medical consultancy training for 5 years. I did not want to leave Vancouver and the move nearly broke our marriage. But we survived and now that he is fully qualified and has 2 years experience under his belt, we’re in a position where we can make a choice as to which country to raise our kids.

We have been back three times over the past years and it was wonderful to see old friends and go to places we loved. Our daughter especially felt happy and at ease, perhaps because it felt like home to her. However, a return to Vancouver all feels very daunting from that time 13 years ago when I was 28, footloose and fancy free and went where the wind took me! Now, we have responsibilities that we need to get right. We need to find the right schools for our children who are 8 and 4. Our daughter is high functioning autistic and comes with a unique set of strengths and challenges. My husband is keen to carry on with his high level career but most of his colleagues and associates are retiring! I have an ageing mum to think of in the U.K...the list of worries is endless.

Does anyone have any advice on taking this leap of faith?

Thank you
you will also want to consider the significant increase in living costs in Vancouver and lower mainland in the last 7+ years. Wether you are renting or buying housing costs have continued to increase.