Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Layed off, here on work permit

Wikiposts

Layed off, here on work permit

Old Mar 27th 2013, 2:10 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Layed off, here on work permit

To the OP....sorry to hear about your predicament mate. Hang in there and just persevere with those resume with leg work and word of mouth

Best of luck
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:12 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

To the op, I wouldn't leave and re-enter (there's no need) right now - I think it just 'automatically' becomes a visitor visa without the added hassels of explainiing things to the guys at the border.

The only time you would maybe need to leave and re enter is if you were succesful in getting another job and need to get another twp, in which case then you can do a flagpole.

Oh and thanks ladies for the clarification on the SOWP thing
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

daiske is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thinking...
If the spouse with the OPW is allowed to work until the end of the work permit, can he/she apply for province nomination following the employer-driven stream?
If he/she gets the nomination...can he/she sponsor the spouse that got the LMO and was laid off??
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daiske
Just thinking...
If the spouse with the OPW is allowed to work until the end of the work permit, can he/she apply for province nomination following the employer-driven stream?
If he/she gets the nomination...can he/she sponsor the spouse that got the LMO and was laid off??
They wouldn't need to sponsor the spouse, because the spouse would be included on their application anyway, so would also get PR via the PNP.

But yes, the spouse can apply for PR using the SOWP.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They wouldn't need to sponsor the spouse, because the spouse would be included on their application anyway, so would also get PR via the PNP.

But yes, the spouse can apply for PR using the SOWP.
Really? I am confused. I thought the "Principal Applicant" had to be the person with the original TWP.... as in the one who had to jump through hoops to work.

Would make life a lot easier for those who do end up in this situation.

Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Really? I am confused. I thought the "Principal Applicant" had to be the person with the original TWP.... as in the one who had to jump through hoops to work.
Nope. A SOWP can also be used for a PR application. It's a work around we often used to advise clients to do if they had no other way of getting PR - one person goes on a study permit, the other gets a SOWP and as soon as they get a job, apply for PR as FSW.

A SOWP can be a handy thing indeed!
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. A SOWP can also be used for a PR application. It's a work around we often used to advise clients to do if they had no other way of getting PR - one person goes on a study permit, the other gets a SOWP and as soon as they get a job, apply for PR as FSW.

A SOWP can be a handy thing indeed!
Thanks for clarifying! That could get a lot of people out of sticky situations!

Is that common knowledge? So does the SOWP holder have to be on a specific NOC level job?

Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:32 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bull_dog
Thanks for the replies guys.

@Graham from yorkshire
I'm a programmer in the games industry.

So I'm free to stay, but are there any complications if I leave and re-enter? The wiki article says that I can only re-enter as a visitor. But would that be a bad thing to do? Like would it affect me in any way getting a new LMO/work permit for a new job?
My mate worked in the games industry. He was some sort of manager at Ubisoft and EA before. He went away for a year and since coming back in October, he hasnt been able to get any work. It appears the entire industry has moved to Toronto from Vancouver. Hes not even getting interviews.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Derpmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a million software dev jobs in Vancouver, especially for Android and iOS game dev. Lot's of remote positions too on ycombinator forums, or check <snip> and other 'tech jobs' sites, or software developer hiring agencies.

Hardly any of them advertise on craigslist

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 10th 2013 at 6:31 pm. Reason: Link removed
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like the OP might be in something IT related (can you tell I know nothing about it?!) from his blog.

But people being laid off on TWP's is unfortunately something that happens regularly on this forum, that's why the advice is always to apply for PR as soon as you possible can, ideally within a month or two of getting to Canada. Once you've got PR you've got a safety net, but not before unfortunately.
I thought you had to be in Canada for 6 months before you can apply for PR via PNP?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
I thought you had to be in Canada for 6 months before you can apply for PR via PNP?
It depends on the Province and on your job classification.