Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Layed off, here on work permit

Layed off, here on work permit

Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

bull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nice
Default Layed off, here on work permit

I am here on a work permit but unfortunately the comapany that brought me over here isn't doing so well currently and had to lay off a bunch of people and sadly I'm one of them.

I'm wondering about my status now. HR at the company said that I'm fine to stay here as long as the expiration date on my work permit says, which gives me until sept 2015. So I have plenty of time to stay here and look for another job in canada.

I just wanted to know what people on here have experienced/ understand about how it works.

Would I be able to take a short break and leave the country and come back to find a new job? As far as I know there is no way for the border control to know whether I am still employed or not, right?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Layed off, here on work permit

Originally Posted by bull_dog
I'm wondering about my status now. HR at the company said that I'm fine to stay here as long as the expiration date on my work permit says, which gives me until sept 2015.
Yep. So basically you're now on a visitor visa until Sept 2015. Good luck finding something else.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

graham from yorkshire is an unknown quantity at this point

[What job was you doing
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham from yorkshire
[What job was you doing
Looks like the OP might be in something IT related (can you tell I know nothing about it?!) from his blog.

But people being laid off on TWP's is unfortunately something that happens regularly on this forum, that's why the advice is always to apply for PR as soon as you possible can, ideally within a month or two of getting to Canada. Once you've got PR you've got a safety net, but not before unfortunately.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:47 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear about your lay-off. Been there a few times.

Good luck finding something new
Old Mar 26th 2013, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light

While I am not able to confirm this, some one I know who is on work permit said that in the event he gets laid off his work permit becomes an open work permit which would enable other employers to employ him.
This needs to be confirmed, please excuse if it's incorrect.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 1:16 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jagz
While I am not able to confirm this, some one I know who is on work permit said that in the event he gets laid off his work permit becomes an open work permit which would enable other employers to employ him.
This needs to be confirmed, please excuse if it's incorrect.
That is wrong - it becomes a visitor visa. If he has a spouse who has an open work permit on the back of his work permit, that remains as an open work permit.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:06 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
That is wrong - it becomes a visitor visa. If he has a spouse who has an open work permit on the back of his work permit, that remains as an open work permit.
I thought the spouses open work permit only remained active as long as the twp holder remained with the company who got the original LMO, and if they ceased to employ then both work permits become visitor permits? (I stand to be corrected though).
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:11 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I thought the spouses open work permit only remained active as long as the twp holder remained with the company who got the original LMO, and if they ceased to employ then both work permits become visitor permits? (I stand to be corrected though).
You are hereby corrected mandymoochops, sorry.

You need to read the wiki
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:46 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Nope - which is why, if you are able, you should always get your spouse an OWP, even if they don't want to work initially - should you be laid off and you need money, your spouse then go work whilst you look for another job.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Looks like the OP might be in something IT related (can you tell I know nothing about it?!) from his blog.

But people being laid off on TWP's is unfortunately something that happens regularly on this forum, that's why the advice is always to apply for PR as soon as you possible can, ideally within a month or two of getting to Canada. Once you've got PR you've got a safety net, but not before unfortunately.
I was under the impression that you had to be in the country for 6 months before applying for PR.
That's what I've read for Alberta anyway,please tell me that I am wrong as I will apply sooner if it is indeed possible!
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
I was under the impression that you had to be in the country for 6 months before applying for PR.
That's what I've read for Alberta anyway,please tell me that I am wrong as I will apply sooner if it is indeed possible!
http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...-to-apply.aspx

That would depend on whether you are applying through the skilled or semi-skilled AINP.

If you are skilled, there is no minimum time in Alberta requirement, you can apply for PNP with a job offer and not actually having been in Alberta.

If you are semi-skilled, there is a minimum time of 6 months.

Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:58 am
Just Joined

bull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nicebull_dog is just really nice

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Graham from yorkshire
I'm a programmer in the games industry.

So I'm free to stay, but are there any complications if I leave and re-enter? The wiki article says that I can only re-enter as a visitor. But would that be a bad thing to do? Like would it affect me in any way getting a new LMO/work permit for a new job?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 2:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bull_dog
Thanks for the replies guys.

@Graham from yorkshire
I'm a programmer in the games industry.

So I'm free to stay, but are there any complications if I leave and re-enter? The wiki article says that I can only re-enter as a visitor. But would that be a bad thing to do? Like would it affect me in any way getting a new LMO/work permit for a new job?
There's a few adverts for jobs in that industry here: http://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Video+Ga...mmer&l=Ontario

Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for confirming.

Originally Posted by AmyDavid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.