Laval Quebec

Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

gules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nice
Default Laval Quebec

Hi, interested in moving to Laval with hubby, 3 kids and we hardly speak any french. Can anyone give me advice as to how people are generally in Laval, will we have problems being non-french speakers? Any advice will be welcome. Thxs.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:31 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laval Quebec

Only been there for a week for a soccer tournament met a few English speaking people and they said they have lived there all their life and couldn't speak french and really enjoyed it.

Why are you moving to Laval?
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

gules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grah
Only been there for a week for a soccer tournament met a few English speaking people and they said they have lived there all their life and couldn't speak french and really enjoyed it.

Why are you moving to Laval?
Thought about moving to west island montreal, but house prices are too high, so thought either brossard,longeuil or laval. Going to Montreal soon to do more research on places I would like to live in. Is laval as beautiful as described in tourism guide?
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Haggis de Montreal is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Laval Quebec

Bonjour,
Laval, on the island just north of Montreal, is about 75% francophone. The days of being able to function just in English in the Montreal area are fading and most people are at least partly bilingual. Finding employment if you do not speak any French is difficult as most businesses prefer francophones, preferably bilingual, over anglophones irrespective of other qualifications. If you want to move to Quebec you should be prepared to learn French. This will not be a problem for your kids, but maybe more difficult as an adult. Even a little French will ensure politer treatment in many circumstances. The bilingual recognise you as anglophone and switch to English. The West Island, Westmount, Cote St Luc and Notre Dame de Grasse areas on Montreal island are more anglophone and have more ex-pat residents, but the housing is more expensive than off-island.

Laval itself has some nice neighbourhoods, some still quite rural, and a few dodgy ones where there's been some nasty drug-related crime recently. There's a lot of development there, most of it ugly in my opinion, but it depends what you are looking for.

Last edited by Haggis de Montreal; Feb 27th 2006 at 9:07 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:07 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gules
Thought about moving to west island montreal, but house prices are too high, so thought either brossard,longeuil or laval. Going to Montreal soon to do more research on places I would like to live in. Is laval as beautiful as described in tourism guide?
My missus come from Longeuil; the St. Hubert part of it anyway.

It is fugly.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered this?....

Vaudreuil-Dorion is a new conurbation off the west side of Montreal. The traffic isn't too bad going onto the island on most regular days. House prices start at around $150k for a 2-bed detached with no garage. It's not a soulless dormitory community either, also there are some good restaurants in the area and all the big-box retailers are locating in Vaudreuil now.

The area is about 25% english 75% french.... I have one free weekly newspaper delivered which interestingly enough is an englsh publication.

There are no less than 8 housing developers in the area right now.

Just thought i would throw that one into the mix.

Originally Posted by Souvenir
My missus come from Longeuil; the St. Hubert part of it anyway.

It is fugly.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=neill]Have you considered this?....

Vaudreuil-Dorion is a new conurbation off the west side of Montreal. The traffic isn't too bad going onto the island on most regular days. House prices start at around $150k for a 2-bed detached with no garage. QUOTE]

Thanks, this is an area I havent even heard of. I will look into it on my next visit. How is rental like in Vaudreuil? I intend to rent for at least 6 months before I buy a property. How are taxes and schools in that area?

In response to Haggis statement, I am more than willing to learn french. I have always loved french and feel that I will learn faster in a french environment. Jobwise, I will be studying to start with, hubby works mostly in the US and I intend to volunteer for a while when my verbal french improves. Thanks for your response guys, anymore info will be appreciated.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:36 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Let see soccer in the morning, lunch, soccer in the afternoon Bar at night

Nope couldn't tell you, we drove there direct from Winnipeg 27 hours so missed it on the way in and on the way out was settling down for a nap ready for my part driving sorry.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road

The tourism guides describe Laval as beautiful? Hee hee hee. I have never heard it called that before. I grew up just 10 minutes north of Laval and that isn't a word I would use to describe it.

I am curious; are you going to be studying at McGill or Concordia? I guess I am a bit mythed as to why you would want to move to Quebec in general if you haven't any ties there. I guess there are worst places to live than Laval but I would definitely say you would more than likely be subjected the charming separatists than you would in Montreal.

Did you know that if your children weren't born in Quebec, they will have no choice but to attend french school?

Laval is handy though if you plan on skiing a lot in the winter or camp a lot in the summer as you would be halfway to what Montrealers call "up north". It does sound as though you have a great attitude to make the move work.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yorkiebar99
The tourism guides describe Laval as beautiful? Hee hee hee. I have never heard it called that before. I grew up just 10 minutes north of Laval and that isn't a word I would use to describe it.

I am curious; are you going to be studying at McGill or Concordia? I guess I am a bit mythed as to why you would want to move to Quebec in general if you haven't any ties there. I guess there are worst places to live than Laval but I would definitely say you would more than likely be subjected the charming separatists than you would in Montreal.

Did you know that if your children weren't born in Quebec, they will have no choice but to attend french school?

Laval is handy though if you plan on skiing a lot in the winter or camp a lot in the summer as you would be halfway to what Montrealers call "up north". It does sound as though you have a great attitude to make the move work.
I will be studying at Concordia. I wanted to move to Quebec because I have visited there a couple of times and I love the vibe, how laid back everyone is and how children are well behaved in comparison to kids in London. I have visited Vancouver and Toronto as well, but I love how the Montrealers celebrate the seasons with festivals and activities. I am a bit anxious about the winters, but i have been told the first 2 years are the hardest, then it becomes easier. Regarding the kids education, because I'm moving there as a student, they can go to English schools. Even if they went to french immersion, i have been adviced that the welcome class they have for non-french students is very effective. All and all I have a positive outlook for our move to Quebec, dont get me wrong I know I will hit some rough patches, but it depends on ones attitude towards change.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 1:07 pm

... dont get me wrong I know I will hit some rough patches, but it depends on ones attitude towards change.
Just wait until you file your tax return.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

hee hee hee. So true.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by yorkiebar99
hee hee hee. So true.
It's no laughing matter, I can assure you :scared:
Old Mar 1st 2006, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Cant be any worse than here in the UK believe me!!! My council tax is going up to almost £2000 per annum, not to mention private school tution for 3 kids and income tax (higher tax bracket). In comparison canada will be cheaper.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

I will be studying at Concordia. I wanted to move to Quebec because I have visited there a couple of times and I love the vibe, how laid back everyone is and how children are well behaved in comparison to kids in London. I have visited Vancouver and Toronto as well, but I love how the Montrealers celebrate the seasons with festivals and activities. I am a bit anxious about the winters, but i have been told the first 2 years are the hardest, then it becomes easier. Regarding the kids education, because I'm moving there as a student, they can go to English schools. Even if they went to french immersion, i have been adviced that the welcome class they have for non-french students is very effective. All and all I have a positive outlook for our move to Quebec, dont get me wrong I know I will hit some rough patches, but it depends on ones attitude towards change.
Well, i am bias towards Montreal. I do love it as a city and would prefer live closer to the city. However, I have a life free of kids and don't have that to worry about. So I don't think Laval would be such bad choice. How would you be travelling to Uni each day? I use to travel in on the bus and metro everyday and it nearly took me 2hrs one way....

That is great that your kids will be able to attend English school. Not that there is anything wrong with having to enroll in French emmersion, i just feel bitter when the government tries to take away options from people.

As for the winters, at least you are practically guaranteed a genuine winter every year. Its bloody cold but if your kids are young, they will love the amount of snow received each year.

What will you be studying at Concordia?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.