Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Last night at the proms

Last night at the proms

Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of
Default Last night at the proms

Has anyone been to watch Last Night at the Proms in Burlington? There is a live streaming this weekend. If so how was it? Are people dressing up and bringing flags etc?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:40 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last night at the proms

Originally Posted by reggiedh
Has anyone been to watch Last Night at the Proms in Burlington? There is a live streaming this weekend. If so how was it? Are people dressing up and bringing flags etc?
I went to the one at the Burloak/QEW Silver City a couple of years back, with my in-laws. We all dressed up a bit, mother-in-law (who was a proud Irishwoman but strangely jingoistic about all things British - but then again, she didn't possess too many marbles at the best of times) issued us all with flags. Few others in the audience did anything of the sort. They didn't program Wood's Sea Songs medley, for some reason, so we weren't tempted to bob up and down like the prats in the front row, but Sarah Connolly gave as good as she got in the traditional Parry/Arne/Elgar finale and some (but not much) of the audience joined in the singing. Highlight for me was Alison Balsom's Haydn Eb trumpet concerto - as a long-ago trumpetplayer who once performed that extremely badly in front of the school orchestra and an audience of cringing parents, that would have been worth the ticket price alone.

However, there was a major problem with the sound from the BBC satellite feed (not the theatre's fault), so what with the audience not really entering into the spirit, it was a bit disappointing all round. The management were very apologetic about the sound quality, I think we all got a free ticket to a movie of our choice or something. I'm not sure I'd bother again.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of
Default Re: Last night at the proms

they show the Last Night at cinamas?!?!?! that's amazing!