Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Last few days in UK getting hard

Last few days in UK getting hard

Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Nibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to all
Arrow Last few days in UK getting hard

Hi,

We fly out of the UK on Thursday for Toronto and our new life. I handed over our house today to the new owners and my car goes on Wednesday. We went through the leaving "do" on Saturday and are on the last rounds of goodbyes. Been fairly immersed in the practicalities and getting everything sorted but now all starting to dawn on me the enormity of what we are doing.

Any tips on how to get through these final days in the UK?

Anyone else landing in Toronto soon or landed and fancy meeting up so we can have a friendly supportive face on the other side and maybe support each other through?

One other odd question but my partner and I are civil partners in the UK and I know this is recognised in Toronto but do we/can we marry there as well?

Any help welcomed
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last few days in UK getting hard

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
and/or

One other odd question but my partner and I are civil partners in the UK and I know this is recognised in Toronto but do we/can we marry there as well?
Yes. No problems.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to sound insensitive but the thread title led me to think that you were a sex tourist.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

I have been here in Vancouver for just over 2 weeks and I don't think anything anyone said could have prepared me for the change. I had a few leaving nights out and I think the alcohol helped me get through the last few days.

Good luck I hope it all works out for you both.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Realise that what you're feeling is perfectly normal. Millions of people have done exactly the same as you, and undoubtedly all of them felt just as nervous, excited and worried.

Our last days in Britain passed by in a blur, what with the goodbyes, last minute paperwork, etc. What kept us going was the thought that this is what we had wanted to do for years, and we had already overcome a lot of hurdles. We had obtained visas, which so many people are unable to do for whatever reason. We had sold our house. We had arranged our flights, accommodation, etc, for when we arrived. We were also confident that we had done as much research as possible, so that we had a reasonable idea of the sort of problems we would face when we arrived.

But I think our main thought was: "Our adventure is about to begin. However stressed we are now, or might be in the next few weeks, at least we're trying emigration. So many people talk about it but never do it. Whatever happens, at least we'll be pleased to have attempted it."

Good luck, and I hope Canada's all you want it to be.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:07 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I hate to sound insensitive but the thread title led me to think that you were a sex tourist.
Ditto
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Let me just say - go for it - no regrets and try to enjoy the challengers that you will face otherwise they can grind you down.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:27 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We fly out of the UK on Thursday for Toronto and our new life. I handed over our house today to the new owners and my car goes on Wednesday. We went through the leaving "do" on Saturday and are on the last rounds of goodbyes. Been fairly immersed in the practicalities and getting everything sorted but now all starting to dawn on me the enormity of what we are doing.

Anyone else landing in Toronto soon or landed and fancy meeting up so we can have a friendly supportive face on the other side and maybe support each other through?

Any help welcomed
Not only does it look like you can get married - if it doesn't work out, divorce is also legally recognised - not that it'll come to that obviously!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Ditto
We're very sad people, aren't we?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Hi,

Any help welcomed
We moved to Toronto (Barrie) region last Feb from the UK and it was the best move we could have made. Try not to get too absorbed in how emotional everyone is right now and just focus on how exciting your new life will be. We would be more than happy to meet with you and answer any questions or concerns you may have once you're here. Try not to worry too much over the last few days even though we know how scary it feels...
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Ditto what Grendel said - we left UK on Christmas Day 2009 and it still hasn't hit me.....keep waiting! Any moments of doubts were quickly replaced by all the reasons we wanted to leave and the thought that at least we were trying it - if it doesn't work, we'll go back to the UK.
Good luck and just enjoy the adventure!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:49 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Me too, but I wasn't going to make such terrible joke.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:50 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merry
Ditto what Grendel said - we left UK on Christmas Day 2009 and it still hasn't hit me.....keep waiting! Any moments of doubts were quickly replaced by all the reasons we wanted to leave and the thought that at least we were trying it - if it doesn't work, we'll go back to the UK.
Good luck and just enjoy the adventure!
When you're still driving a taxi in five years it will.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

So true, especially "So many people talk about it but never do it." - this is an adventure and you've overcome so much already to get this far.

Cheers - Steve

Originally Posted by Grendel
Realise that what you're feeling is perfectly normal. Millions of people have done exactly the same as you, and undoubtedly all of them felt just as nervous, excited and worried.

Our last days in Britain passed by in a blur, what with the goodbyes, last minute paperwork, etc. What kept us going was the thought that this is what we had wanted to do for years, and we had already overcome a lot of hurdles. We had obtained visas, which so many people are unable to do for whatever reason. We had sold our house. We had arranged our flights, accommodation, etc, for when we arrived. We were also confident that we had done as much research as possible, so that we had a reasonable idea of the sort of problems we would face when we arrived.

But I think our main thought was: "Our adventure is about to begin. However stressed we are now, or might be in the next few weeks, at least we're trying emigration. So many people talk about it but never do it. Whatever happens, at least we'll be pleased to have attempted it."

Good luck, and I hope Canada's all you want it to be.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Any help welcomed

I think Grendal's post has summed it up perfectly there....spot on! remember you are doing it not just talking about it!! likem many do.

I think the excitement of my new life ahead got me thro my last few days, but I agree that at times I kept thinking what are you doing!, but the excitement took that over. and I also have to agree alcohol does help!! I had some sort of "leaving do" with alcohol for every day of the the last 2weeks before I left!!

Good luck! hope all goes to plan for you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.