Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Laptop use in Canada

Laptop use in Canada

Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light
Default Laptop use in Canada

We are coming over to Canada for a couple of weeks in May, and would like to bring our laptop with us. Are we able to use it with just a plug adaptor, or doin we need to do something more than this ?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Laptop use in Canada

Originally Posted by Southcote
We are coming over to Canada for a couple of weeks in May, and would like to bring our laptop with us. Are we able to use it with just a plug adaptor, or doin we need to do something more than this ?
yep using mine with a travel adapter, no problems. ALso running my 3 in 1 printer of an adapter as well.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Groo is an unknown quantity at this point

Most laptop power supplies are 100-240V, 50-60Hz. Check power adaptor.

I used my Acer there recently no problem.

For desktops, you'd probably have to replace the power supply, which are modular, take one out and put one in .
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Groo
Most laptop power supplies are 100-240V, 50-60Hz. Check power adaptor.

Just checked my AC Adapter - it states Input 100-240V- 1.5A 50-60Hz

I presume this means it'll be fine to use

Thanks for your help
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:24 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southcote
Just checked my AC Adapter - it states Input 100-240V- 1.5A 50-60Hz

I presume this means it'll be fine to use

Thanks for your help
As above - My Acer laptop works fine here with merely a travel adapter. Laptops by their very portable nature have power adapters that cope with the changes in voltage and frequency.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You may need a phone jack so as to access dial up internet. Yes, I know, there's this wireless thingy but not everywhere; don't count on it north of the 401.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:54 pm

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You may need a phone jack so as to access dial up internet. Yes, I know, there's this wireless thingy but not everywhere; don't count on it north of the 401.
Oh great. Now you've gone and scared them away.

Dial-up and pulse dialing. Welcome to Canada.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

dbd33 speaks the truth: north of the 401, anything goes.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:04 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

For desktops, you'd probably have to replace the power supply, which are modular, take one out and put one in .
I just recently replaced my power supply in my desktop unit the old one was too noisy.

Both ot them are switchable 100-240 Volt, 50-60 hz.

Cheers
Steve
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

O my F%^$%ing god and jesus!!! NO WiFi north of the 401!!! You are kiddin' right? You are kiddin' us? Say you're kiddin' Please say you're kiddin'!!!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
dbd33 speaks the truth: north of the 401, anything goes.

Oh my god...oh my god...(tears)
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Weird, very weird. Have friends living north of 401. There is broadband in their house. Don't know if they have installed wifi as that is up to them but broadband there is. Evene further out in places like George Town (between Toronto and Guelph and north of 401, for those who donät know) there is also broadband. My buddy out there has installed wifi in his house. Another one as far north as Orillia - broadband.

Can't answer if hotels north of 401 have it though.

However, how is Toronto getting on with covering the city with wifi so you can sit in a park if you want? I saw the news cast from the press conference when I was over last year.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 11:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
However, how is Toronto getting on with covering the city with wifi so you can sit in a park if you want? I saw the news cast from the press conference when I was over last year.
Internet in the park? Don't be silly. Toronto doesn't have internet in the airport (at least I can't work the payphone dial out connection there).

OK, no internet north of the 401 is an exaggeration but there's neither ADSL nor cable as near as Orangeville (50 miles from Toronto) and, this week, I'm staying in a hotel (Days Inn) in Toronto where there's only dial up. I certainly wouldn't travel without the bits to be able to get email using only a phone line. Note also that mobile phones don't work once you go any distance away from the 401 corridor. I've been able to get around the shortage of phone lines in some hotels by dialing up to the internet using a laptop and a mobile phone but only in big cities.

There is another option but it's not strictly kosher. If I'm in an outlying area (say Mississauga or North York) and want the email what I do is to drive to an affluent looking street and hunt for an unsecured wireless network. I can usually find one and it avoids having the hotel people ranting about my tying up one of their phone lines.

Canada's a big place, eh? It just doesn't have European type infrastructure as most of the country doesn't have the population to justify it.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Groo is an unknown quantity at this point

I stayed in Days Inn on Carlton St, downtown Toronto last October. I think I paid a little extra for one of the top floors where I had wifi in the room.

The hotel also had wifi available in the reception area.

I remember doing a search in my room and found about 5 wifi coinnections available, mostly password protected though.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 12:27 pm

I stayed in Days Inn on Carlton St, downtown Toronto last October. I think I paid a little extra for one of the top floors where I had wifi in the room.

The hotel also had wifi available in the reception area.

I remember doing a search in my room and found about 5 wifi coinnections available, mostly password protected though.

Yeah, we stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in Guelph and they supplied, as part of the room cost, wireless broadband, wired broadband and dial-up if you were feeling in a masochistic frame of mind. I also detected multiple wireless infrastructures, most of which were unsecured.

Last edited by Madmac; Feb 12th 2007 at 12:28 pm. Reason: typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.