Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Language Differences

Language Differences

Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language Differences

I saw this on a "Canadians moving to the UK" forum:

http://www.canucks.co.uk/words.cfm
Old Nov 16th 2006, 4:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by printer
Maybe you need to publish a list of Canadian phrases for us wanabees so that we can get some practice in before we get there.

BTW do they spell Tyre as UK or with an i as in USA?
"i"
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:36 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Sent you some karma teapot, that'll give me 5 minutes to wander round the site and see if its any better then the cr*p one I had bookmarked... I say cr*p because there is maybe 1 post a day on it *lol*
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:40 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Printer - Half the fun is in finding it out by opening your gob and putting your foot in it... I've just about managed to wash out the taste of verucas from my mouth after 2 years
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:46 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mizz Teapot

And thus the myth that acetaminophen and paracetomol are different continues.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:58 pm
Senile Member

Just thought I'd mention something else that might be useful... my English boyfriend made himself look a prat when he first came to Canada to meet me.

I got him a Molson Dry out of the fridge & handed it to him... he started searching around my kitchen looking for a bottle opener... when I asked what he was doing & he told me, I took the beer out of his hands and twisted the top off and handed it back to him. At first he thought I was really hard for a chick (not that hes wrong mind you) until I explained it to him.

The next evening, I asked him to get me a bottle of Heineken from the fridge while he grabbed himself a Molson... he thought he'd impress me by opening the beer for me... and managed to rip off a couple of layers of skin from his right hand.

Moral of lesson - Canadian & US beer bottles are almost always twist tops (including Buds), FOREIGN/IMPORTS AREN'T
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Daedra
Just thought I'd mention something else that might be useful... my English boyfriend made himself look a prat when he first came to Canada to meet me.

I got him a Molson Dry out of the fridge & handed it to him... he started searching around my kitchen looking for a bottle opener... when I asked what he was doing & he told me, I took the beer out of his hands and twisted the top off and handed it back to him. At first he thought I was really hard for a chick (not that hes wrong mind you) until I explained it to him.

The next evening, I asked him to get me a bottle of Heineken from the fridge while he grabbed himself a Molson... he thought he'd impress me by opening the beer for me... and managed to rip off a couple of layers of skin from his right hand.

Moral of lesson - Canadian & US beer bottles are almost always twist tops (including Buds), FOREIGN/IMPORTS AREN'T
Oh yes. Done that. Once was enough.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:13 pm
Senile Member

What makes it more confusing is the identical Bud beer bottles in the UK aren't twist tops like in Canada, so he got his back on me after I moved here and repeated his error
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:19 pm

What makes it more confusing is the identical Bud beer bottles in the UK aren't twist tops like in Canada, so he got his back on me after I moved here and repeated his error
A bigger danger is Carling. Always read the label properly. It comes in a variety of strengths. One of which is 10%.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:22 pm
Senile Member

Originally Posted by Souvenir
A bigger danger is Carling. Always read the label properly. It comes in a variety of strengths. One of which is 10%.
I'll have to keep that in mind... never tried Carling, like Carlsberg and then tried Kronenberg and got hooked on 1664 as my new UK beer of choice (that and Buds, whichever is on offer at Asdas)

Last edited by Daedra; Nov 16th 2006 at 6:24 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

I had a wonderful time winding up a yank in an Oakville pub a few years back.
Of course, using the term 'yank' to refer to all Americans is meaningless to Canadians and Americans--a Yankee only refers to someone from the New York/New England area and even then you would never say "He's a Yankee" if he is indeed from the right area--it's a historic word last used commonly probably 100 years ago. Americans are simply referred to as Americans.

And Canadians rarely would refer to the USA as "America". It is the 'US' or 'the states'. I had no idea what people were talking about when I first left Canada and heard people use the term America. The country is "United States of America" referring to North America, just like Canada used to be called "British North America".
Old Nov 16th 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Printer - Half the fun is in finding it out by opening your gob and putting your foot in it... I've just about managed to wash out the taste of verucas from my mouth after 2 years
YUK, rather you than me.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mizz Teapot

Thanks for that, i have saved that in my favourites it will be useful.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
Of course, using the term 'yank' to refer to all Americans is meaningless to Canadians and Americans--a Yankee only refers to someone from the New York/New England area and even then you would never say "He's a Yankee" if he is indeed from the right area--it's a historic word last used commonly probably 100 years ago. Americans are simply referred to as Americans.

And Canadians rarely would refer to the USA as "America". It is the 'US' or 'the states'. I had no idea what people were talking about when I first left Canada and heard people use the term America. The country is "United States of America" referring to North America, just like Canada used to be called "British North America".
I used the term only for brevity; to indicate that the person I was referring to was a North American from south of the US-Canadian border. I would gladly use another term but I'm not aware of one.

"American" wouldn't do. My other half is French Canadian and identifies herself as American, which she is.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Ho hum...in my very much younger days we referred to a can/bottle of Carling (the strong stuff) as 'leg openers'...a must as a 'carry out' to any party...!

Can picture the perplexed expressions if it was used here...jail time being a distinct possibility...:scared:

All a long time ago... ...and memory fades....

Last edited by macadian; Nov 16th 2006 at 8:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.