Reload this Page >

Langley, Abbotsford or ?

Langley, Abbotsford or ?

Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Aero61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Langley, Abbotsford or ?

Hi All,
I searched the forums but couldn't find anything that specific with respect to this post, please forgive me if I missed any relevant postings. Looks like I may be moving from Winnipeg to BC for work and was wondering if there are any members in either of the title area's that might have opinion's on the pro's and con's of living in either place? Or might even suggest another decent place on the lower mainland that could be a good home. Here's some more info:

The job is just West of Abbotsford. I will likely be renting for the first while. I'm a middle aged (I hope) male and will be moving on my own. Likes authentic pubs with decent beer (surprise surprise!) fanatical cyclist and trail runner, downhill ski instructor (part time),don't like a huge commute.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
Thank You
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Langley, Abbotsford or ?

Going by your user name you might need to be convenient for the airport?

What sort of housing are you looking for? Flat, row house, small detatched, large detatched on a lot of land? They are all available.

I can't help much with authentic pubs. Pub culture here is not like it is in the UK.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Abbotsford and Langley are both communities built around having a car to get anywhere. They are both cities by name, but feel like sprawling suburbia. Abbotsford is more of a bible belt community, Langley less so. Abbotsford's economy is slightly more agricultural, Langley's has a bit more regional history. Decent beer and authentic pubs? You'll find authentic Canadian pubs serving nachos, chicken wings, and Coors light - nothing at all like an English pub. Access to mountains and the outdoors are equal in both places.

Edit: Both places are family-oriented, where people go to have kids, and are not terribly exciting. Langley also has a bit of a show horse culture and has a handful of wineries.

Last edited by Lychee; Mar 19th 2014 at 8:12 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi JonboyE,
Thanks for your response. Don't need to be near the Airport really, I'm more in the Aerospace Manufacturing business. I would be looking at a flat for the first year, quiet neighbourhood, without a huge commute. The Manufacturing plant is just West of Abbotsford, but it would be nice to be able to go for a run, take the bike out etc.....
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lychee
Abbotsford and Langley are both communities built around having a car to get anywhere. They are both cities by name, but feel like sprawling suburbia. Abbotsford is more of a bible belt community, Langley less so. Abbotsford's economy is slightly more agricultural, Langley's has a bit more regional history. Decent beer and authentic pubs? You'll find authentic Canadian pubs serving nachos, chicken wings, and Coors light - nothing at all like an English pub. Access to mountains and the outdoors are equal in both places.

Edit: Both places are family-oriented, where people go to have kids, and are not terribly exciting. Langley also has a bit of a show horse culture and has a handful of wineries.
Thanks Lychee for your input.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Abbotsford is smaller and cheaper housing wise over all, Langley a bit larger and more expensive, and also in the translink zone so there are more taxes to take into account on gas and such that Abbotsford doesn't have.

They are basically the same, having lived in both, no real difference between the 2, one is just larger and has more traffic.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Abbotsford and Langley are both communities built around having a car to get anywhere.
Which pretty much every city in BC outside of Vancouver proper is as well. Only within the City of Vancouver is transit an efficient option, once in Burnaby, Richmond, Coquitlam etc, its all about the car.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your responses.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aero61
I'm a middle aged (I hope) male

I was thinking about that in terms of myself just yesterday. Where the hell does the time go????
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Hey Colchar, for sure, time waits for no one. We just have to make a point of enjoying and living each day to the full. Our life's can change really quickly and not always for the best.

We complain about the winter here in Winnipeg and don't get me wrong it's been really long and cold. But on the flip side the skies can be a deep blue, crystal clear and as in Edmonton and other Northern cities the Aurora Borealis can be quite stunning. If I can figure out how to add a picture I took of the Aurora the other week to this thread, I will. Though it's kinda off topic.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Langley is very busy traffic-wise, but has more facilities (I think).

Easier to find your way round in Langley as the main routes and nearly all streets and avenues are numbered and 'on-grid'.

Abbotsford is 'non-grid' apart from small residential streets and it is hard to navigate in comparison.

I work in Langley (Walnut Grove) and live on the west side of Abbotsford in a subdivision backing on to a vineyard - probably very close to the OP's future work location, which I'm assuming is near Mt. Lehman Road.

We have family in Langley and know it very well, so had decided to give it a miss house-wise due to how busy and expensive it is now.

Rents are 30-50% more in Langley. Our $2100/mo in Abbotsford would be $3000+ in Langley.

From our house it is 20 mins to my work and you can drive to central Vancouver in just under 60 mins (obviously not at rush hour!) or King George Skytrain Station in about 35-40.

Even at rush hour, HW1 is pretty fast now until you get to Burnaby/Boundary Road.

From Downtown Langley to both locations is about the same, as you have to fight Langley traffic to get to HW1 or drive down Fraser Highway.

Last edited by withabix; Mar 21st 2014 at 5:15 am.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Minniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really niceMinniemouse78 is just really nice

Originally Posted by withabix
Langley is very busy traffic-wise, but has more facilities (I think).

Easier to find your way round in Langley as the main routes and nearly all streets and avenues are numbered and 'on-grid'.

Abbotsford is 'non-grid' apart from small residential streets and it is hard to navigate in comparison.

I work in Langley (Walnut Grove) and live on the west side of Abbotsford in a subdivision backing on to a vineyard - probably very close to the OP's future work location, which I'm assuming is near Mt. Lehman Road.

We have family in Langley and know it very well, so had decided to give it a miss house-wise due to how busy and expensive it is now.

Rents are 30-50% more in Langley. Our $2100/mo in Abbotsford would be $3000+ in Langley.

From our house it is 20 mins to my work and you can drive to central Vancouver in just under 60 mins (obviously not at rush hour!) or King George Skytrain Station in about 35-40.

Even at rush hour, HW1 is pretty fast now until you get to Burnaby/Boundary Road.

From Downtown Langley to both locations is about the same, as you have to fight Langley traffic to get to HW1 or drive down Fraser Highway.
Your house backs on to a vineyard - lovely!!:
Old Mar 21st 2014, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Withabix for your input, the plant is just north of junction 13 on highway 1 (junction of 268th St. and 56th Ave. actually). Apparently (and like most cities) there are areas of Abbotsford that should be avoided, are these areas clearly defined or it being a smaller city, a bit more ambiguous? The area's to avoid in Winnipeg are commonly known (i.e. parts of the North end) but even then, unless you're wondering around at 3:00 in the morning you'll likely be OK. There is gang activity in Winnipeg but it seems to be between gangs and territory etc...rather than random crime activities, though there is always a chance of that happening anywhere in the world, wrong place at the wrong time etc...etc....
Old Mar 21st 2014, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Abbotsford is cheaper for rent and gas (although the difference in gas prices hasn't been as much as I have seen before.. maybe something to do with the Costco gas station in Langley now).

Langley is more urban, and in my opinion a pretty poorly designed city. They are currently building several overpasses throughout the city so that traffic doesn't come to a stand still whenever a train rolls through town. It does have everything you will need though services wise.

Abbotsford is more God country for sure. Again it has all the services you would need, but is more of an agricultural town. The commute should only be 20 mins and yet you have more open spaces to enjoy.

You could always consider Aldergrove too?

Side note.. 268th Street and 56th Avenue is Junction 73. It is the junction where Highway 13 meets Highway 1
Old Mar 21st 2014, 9:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aero61
Thanks Withabix for your input, the plant is just north of junction 13 on highway 1 (junction of 268th St. and 56th Ave. actually). Apparently (and like most cities) there are areas of Abbotsford that should be avoided, are these areas clearly defined or it being a smaller city, a bit more ambiguous? The area's to avoid in Winnipeg are commonly known (i.e. parts of the North end) but even then, unless you're wondering around at 3:00 in the morning you'll likely be OK. There is gang activity in Winnipeg but it seems to be between gangs and territory etc...rather than random crime activities, though there is always a chance of that happening anywhere in the world, wrong place at the wrong time etc...etc....
Langley is actually two municipalities. Langley City is in the centre and covers the commercial core. Most of the low rent places are in Langley City. It is rougher and, if there is any trouble late on a Saturday night, it will likely be in the "city". Langley Township is the rest of Langley and consists of some quite distinct residential areas and a lot of rural land in between.

Fort Langley (my favourite) and Walnut Grove will be the most convenient for the freeway and easy access to your work. Fort Langley is a quaint old village (it was the original capital of BC before BC merged with Vancouver Island). It feels more of an English village than anywhere else I have been. Walnut Grove is a modern suburban area. A bit bland but will have a greater range of housing options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.