Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landrover Defenders, might not take them :'(

Landrover Defenders, might not take them :'(

Old Apr 25th 2013, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

franfluff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landrover Defenders, might not take them :'(

just had a removal company come out who gave me more info on taking Cars in to Canada, was reading that anything with lift kits ect are inadmissible, both of ours have been kitted out etc... Going to give the Transport Canada Vehicle Importation a ring tonight to see if they will allow it or if theres another way around it! Would be totally gutted if we had to sell them, they are part of the family
Old Apr 25th 2013, 12:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landrover Defenders, might not take them :'(

Originally Posted by franfluff
just had a removal company come out who gave me more info on taking Cars in to Canada, was reading that anything with lift kits ect are inadmissible, both of ours have been kitted out etc... Going to give the Transport Canada Vehicle Importation a ring tonight to see if they will allow it or if theres another way around it! Would be totally gutted if we had to sell them, they are part of the family
How old are they?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

both over 15 years old x
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

both over 15 years old x
then it seems to me to be improbable that there's any regulation governing their being jacked up.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
then it seems to me to be improbable that there's any regulation governing their being jacked up.
not sure what you mean??? x
Old Apr 25th 2013, 2:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Raised. Elevated. Stuck on prongs. I believe you can import and run pretty much anything here so long as it's old.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 2:12 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

He means if there 15yrs or older then they don't take any modifications into consideration

I brought over a 15yr old mini with a modified engines setup, no problems the only issue I had was meeting emmissions and that was easily solved with a CAT
Old Apr 25th 2013, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

ours have liftkits, roll cage, winch, airlockers, you name it they ahve it! Well i hope youre right, will make that call tonight to clear it up coz i would looove it if we could take them emissions??? Over there really??? lol
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

ours have liftkits, roll cage, winch, airlockers, you name it they ahve it! Well i hope youre right, will make that call tonight to clear it up coz i would looove it if we could take them emissions??? Over there really??? lol
Depends which Province.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Depends which Province.
Manitoba x
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:32 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Just imported a 1989 vehicle into BC. The term I heard CBSA use when I was talking to them was.. 'It's out of the program, so it will be allowed in.'. A bit late for them to be telling me that but I knew it was OK to come in being around 24 years old.

I know in BC it will need a one off safety inspection prior to going on the roads (there is no annual vehicle inspection - aka MOT - here) but have ben advised by a local ICBC approved garage that modifications, assuming they are safe, will not be considered as reason not to allow the vehicle on the road.

There are plenty of radically lifted/modded Jeeps around here on the roads.. Not sure your Landrover(s) would be that much different by way of those types of mods.

You should be good to go.

Oh! Before you ship any vehicle in a container, have a soil test/inspection carried out. I missed that requirement when I shipped ours from Portugal and had to pay CBSA at this end. It was about $45.00 (if I remember correctly). Having to arrange the test (after the container arrived at Vanterm) slowed down the release of our container and incurred even more charges at Vanterm as they had to move the container out of the stack to a CBSA inspection area.

Also, if you are paying for a container delivery to door service.. make sure the Bill of lading says 'Name of your town/city - Door' on it.
If it only has on it the city of the port of delivery - Door. Query it!

We were quoted and agreed for a 'To door' service on Vancouver Island, BC. or we thought we did! It later transpired that our Bill of lading said Vancouver, BC - Door. I won't tell you how much extra we had to cough up to get the container delivered to 'Vancouver Island - Door'!! It seems that this is not a rare event and for those of use that rarely ship containers - an easy trap to fall into. These container shipping company are ruthless. They know they have you over a barrel! Dispute any charges and they start on the .. "Your container will not move and will incur storage charges" routine!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by james.mc
Just imported a 1989 vehicle into BC. The term I heard CBSA use when I was talking to them was.. 'It's out of the program, so it will be allowed in.'. A bit late for them to be telling me that but I knew it was OK to come in being around 24 years old.

I know in BC it will need a one off safety inspection prior to going on the roads (there is no annual vehicle inspection - aka MOT - here) but have ben advised by a local ICBC approved garage that modifications, assuming they are safe, will not be considered as reason not to allow the vehicle on the road.

There are plenty of radically lifted/modded Jeeps around here on the roads.. Not sure your Landrover(s) would be that much different by way of those types of mods.

You should be good to go.

Oh! Before you ship any vehicle in a container, have a soil test/inspection carried out. I missed that requirement when I shipped ours from Portugal and had to pay CBSA at this end. It was about $45.00 (if I remember correctly). Having to arrange the test (after the container arrived at Vanterm) slowed down the release of our container and incurred even more charges at Vanterm as they had to move the container out of the stack to a CBSA inspection area.

Also, if you are paying for a container delivery to door service.. make sure the Bill of lading says 'Name of your town/city - Door' on it.
If it only has on it the city of the port of delivery - Door. Query it!

We were quoted and agreed for a 'To door' service on Vancouver Island, BC. or we thought we did! It later transpired that our Bill of lading said Vancouver, BC - Door. I won't tell you how much extra we had to cough up to get the container delivered to 'Vancouver Island - Door'!! It seems that this is not a rare event and for those of use that rarely ship containers - an easy trap to fall into. These container shipping company are ruthless. They know they have you over a barrel! Dispute any charges and they start on the .. "Your container will not move and will incur storage charges" routine!
thanks so much for the info, one thing how did you go about the soil/test inspection??? who does that? x
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:33 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

thanks so much for the info, one thing how did you go about the soil/test inspection??? who does that? x
We did it at this end. I paid Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) direct by Credit Card. They request the container to be brought forward so they can inspect it. In addition the terminal will also charge you to move the container for inspection.

Before our Jeep went into the container I pressure washed it and picked all stones out of the off road tread so that it was a clean as possible. When it was loaded it looked like it never goes off road.

It's a double edged sword really. You could get a soil test/inspection done in the UK prior to shipping. That will save time at this end as long as the test is of the type accepted by CBSA. It may also save on extra container movement fees from the terminal. As we had the inspection carried out here (by CBSA, Vancouver) I have no knowledge on what they accept from outside authorities.

Or...

You wait until the container is on it's way and request a soil test/inspection through the local CBSA office for when the container arrives in Canada. They will then schedule it in and it should speed things up at this end.
One thing you do know is they will accept their own results!

Note: The receiving terminal will give you a few free days storage (3-4 working days seems to be the norm - depending in the port of arrival) after that you start paying storage fees to the container depot. It's not cheap! You need to have all your ducks in a row before the container arrives so that it's not hanging around at the terminal.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by james.mc
We did it at this end. I paid Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) direct by Credit Card. They request the container to be brought forward so they can inspect it. In addition the terminal will also charge you to move the container for inspection.

Before our Jeep went into the container I pressure washed it and picked all stones out of the off road tread so that it was a clean as possible. When it was loaded it looked like it never goes off road.

It's a double edged sword really. You could get a soil test/inspection done in the UK prior to shipping. That will save time at this end as long as the test is of the type accepted by CBSA. It may also save on extra container movement fees from the terminal. As we had the inspection carried out here (by CBSA, Vancouver) I have no knowledge on what they accept from outside authorities.

Or...

You wait until the container is on it's way and request a soil test/inspection through the local CBSA office for when the container arrives in Canada. They will then schedule it in and it should speed things up at this end.
One thing you do know is they will accept their own results!

Note: The receiving terminal will give you a few free days storage (3-4 working days seems to be the norm - depending in the port of arrival) after that you start paying storage fees to the container depot. It's not cheap! You need to have all your ducks in a row before the container arrives so that it's not hanging around at the terminal.
fab thanks for all that! Ill give them a ring in a bit as soon as the little one is asleep to see exactly what it is they would preferre ect and go by that, fingers crossed our beauties can come along with us x
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:54 pm
All Sooked up!

fab thanks for all that! Ill give them a ring in a bit as soon as the little one is asleep to see exactly what it is they would preferre ect and go by that, fingers crossed our beauties can come along with us x
If they are over 15 years old they can come and will be allowed on the road as long as they pass a safety test. No doubt about that.

Some will ask... Is it worth it?
I do all my own work on my Jeeps and other cars, always have done. So, I appreciate how much blood sweat and tears goes into your own vehicles. They become part of the family in a way that your average car owner will never understand. You can't put a value on that as it's.... Priceless!

Let us know how it goes with your inquiries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.