Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landlord Issues & What to do next?

Landlord Issues & What to do next?

Old Jul 12th 2018, 1:45 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landlord Issues & What to do next?

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
Its quite simple = Realtor fees. When the property becomes available again there is new fees associated with it and also if it was not leased for lets say 1-2 months then thats more money down the drain. When you add it all up it would be so much easier and economical for the owner to fit A/C at the right time and come to an agreement on fixtures and fittings that the renter wont be taking away but actually only adding value to the property. Sometimes people cant see the wood for the trees. But then who am I to MOAN eh Dotty
If a tenant puts fixtures and fittings that become part of the building, they cannot be removed without consent of the landlord.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 3:58 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Its quite simple = Realtor fees. When the property becomes available again there is new fees associated with it and also if it was not leased for lets say 1-2 months then thats more money down the drain. When you add it all up it would be so much easier and economical for the owner to fit A/C at the right time and come to an agreement on fixtures and fittings that the renter wont be taking away but actually only adding value to the property. Sometimes people cant see the wood for the trees. But then who am I to MOAN eh Dotty
Sorry, still don't get it. You're saying the Landlord is using the desirability of the place and the fact the rent is below market rate as a reason for not making the changes you want. Then you're saying he may face a 2 month period with no rent. Why can't he advertise the place at the new, increased rent, and when he has a taker, you're off the hook and can move out as you've said you want to? He gets a new tenant at the increased rate and you can go to wherever it is you want to go - presumably with blinds etc...

I have to say, Dorothy might have a point. Is this about not getting the things you want, but at the landlord's expense? It was, after all, your decision to accept the lease and move in. Doesn't the A/C get fitted today anyway?
Old Jul 12th 2018, 4:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...if it was not leased for lets say 1-2 months then thats more money down the drain...
I agree with the principle of trying to avoid a tenant leaving and losing a month or two in rental income, but as a former landlord there are other factors...vacancy rates, desirability of property etc

In my time I had a new tenant ready to take over from a departing one, with no gap, within days of being advised a tenant was leaving something 10 times out of 12. It was less successful when the vacancy rate soared.

If you can charge a new tenant an extra 100 a month, then the potential gain of $1200 a year may more than cancel a month with no rent or an agency fee.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 12th 2018 at 4:53 am.