Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing in Vancouver at night. Somethings you need to know

Landing in Vancouver at night. Somethings you need to know

Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:44 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in Vancouver at night. Somethings you need to know

Originally Posted by canadian_bacon_boy
I know, they could have at least a little chinese kid with casio keyboard
Now THAT would make my day
Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The moral of this story is land at a smaller aiport. 'Landing" at St. John's those many years ago, took about 30 minutes & was an entirely pleasant experience.
Ditto. I landed in Edmonton and had completed all the paperwork by the time my bags arrived at the carousel... took about fifteen minutes, from what I remember.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:03 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I thought about that after I posted but I must agree with you. The immigration officer does mark the card but it wouldn't be beyond the wit of a half-decent people smuggler to discover what the marks mean. The customs people, in my experience, look at the card very briefly.

That's a wide-open door.
I believe that most of the marks are meaningless. Each day there is one set of codes that will get you sent to secondary. You can usually anticipate this if the immigration spends some time looking down at their desk before scrawling on your card. I always loved secondary in YVR, it had a particular charm.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I believe that most of the marks are meaningless. Each day there is one set of codes that will get you sent to secondary. You can usually anticipate this if the immigration spends some time looking down at their desk before scrawling on your card. I always loved secondary in YVR, it had a particular charm.
You seem especially talented at landing in secondary. Breaks up a boring journey I guess. Any top tips?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:55 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
You seem especially talented at landing in secondary. Breaks up a boring journey I guess. Any top tips?
Go to somewhere far away for a very short amount of time. When they ask what you did be honest. Tell them you went to an airport hotel, slept, and came back to the airport. Once in Singapore I didn't even leave the airport which really confused them. Immigration at YVR once told me that any trip under 3 nights was suspicious. Actually haven't had Canadian secondary for some time. Most fun was Bermuda I think. They actually created reasons as to why I might be there for one night (most involving travelling without my wife!)
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:07 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Go to somewhere far away for a very short amount of time. When they ask what you did be honest. Tell them you went to an airport hotel, slept, and came back to the airport. Once in Singapore I didn't even leave the airport which really confused them. Immigration at YVR once told me that any trip under 3 nights was suspicious. Actually haven't had Canadian secondary for some time. Most fun was Bermuda I think. They actually created reasons as to why I might be there for one night (most involving travelling without my wife!)
Do you have a second career as carrier of diplomatic bags, or are you some sort of plane spotter? Or does your branch of Academia, hold conferences in airports/airport hotels?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Do you have a second career as carrier of diplomatic bags, or are you some sort of plane spotter? Or does your branch of Academia, hold conferences in airports/airport hotels?
For me it's all about Aeroplan points and status miles. Earn points cheaply whenever/wherever....