Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing in Van, connect to Vic on the fly (!)

Landing in Van, connect to Vic on the fly (!)

Old Feb 23rd 2014, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough
Default Landing in Van, connect to Vic on the fly (!)

So booked flights to land in Vancouver and then onto Victoria.

We land around 17.20 and I have estimated 2-3 hrs in immigration/baggage claim, etc. Would you say that was about fair (those who have done similar landings)?

The thing is; we will be booking a flight, probably with the dreaded Air Can, with whom we have a massive 15% discount for a 10 hr delay (- don't get me started...), but I see they have hourly flights.

Thinking of not booking and just 'winging it' and paying at the desk for the next available flight, rather than estimating the time it might take and then getting highly stressed and possibly missing said connection.

I see with AC we could pay another £50 ea for more flexibility with times, but don't really want to fork out twice the price...

Add 2-3 hrs onto 17.20 = 20.20 estimate and then poss 30+ more mins until next flight and an 8yr old on British time... could get stressful...

We are landing as PRs from the FSW btw.

Has anyone else simply waited and paid/booked the next available to the island after landing?

Thanks as always for info...

Oh and anyone any advice as to when the whole selling up, selling worldly goods, quitting, giving notice, saying goodbye, booking flights/transport/hotels, organising new life, finding new house, preparing to work in new place stuff gets easier? We are soooooo stressed out right now, with 2.5 weeks to go, and me working to the wire.... people coming to buy things and being picky about £15 items.... cannot wait to feel normal again! I know the answer obviously, but needing to share!
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in Van, connect to Vic on the fly (!)

If your worried about the connection, and book to just Vancouver, you can always try Harbor Air to Victoria, they depart off the Fraser River just south of the airport, about 10 minute shuttle ride from the main terminal or a 10 cab ride or so.

They might even be cheaper the buying Air Canada at the counter.

Or just book a connection to Victoria on the last flight of the day, and if you get done early try and get onto an earlier flight as stand by, but there might be a fee attached.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 4:44 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Or stay the night in Van .... Either at airport then fly out next day , or downtown And get a float plane
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 5:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Or stay the night in Van .... Either at airport then fly out next day , or downtown And get a float plane
+1

I would definitely stay overnight, there are hotels near the airport for under $100 for the night including taxes. Have a relaxing evening and a good sleep after your flight and then get a flight the next morning. If you are flying Air Canada, you could see if you can get it as an add-on (discounted perhaps), otherwise just do a google search.

Old Feb 23rd 2014, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Or since at the airport already, just stay in the area and take a float plane from the Fraser River adjacent to YVR...

http://www.harbourair.com/book-a-fli...ncouver-(yvr)/
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 6:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If booking a connecting flight, the baggage allowance you check in with at POD follows you to the destination. If you book separate legs on your own, your 2nd flight may have a lower baggage allowance and extra costs for over weight/qty.

Float service to YWH is a much more limited baggage allowance, and extra bags are shipped on standby at extra cost.

Island Air Express go from YVR to YYJ for around $133 taxes incl. Baggage again is limited, so phone ahead if using this route.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 7:05 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by witchileiz
So booked flights to land in Vancouver and then onto Victoria.

We land around 17.20 and I have estimated 2-3 hrs in immigration/baggage claim, etc. Would you say that was about fair (those who have done similar landings)?

The thing is; we will be booking a flight, probably with the dreaded Air Can, with whom we have a massive 15% discount for a 10 hr delay (- don't get me started...), but I see they have hourly flights.

Thinking of not booking and just 'winging it' and paying at the desk for the next available flight, rather than estimating the time it might take and then getting highly stressed and possibly missing said connection.

I see with AC we could pay another £50 ea for more flexibility with times, but don't really want to fork out twice the price...

Add 2-3 hrs onto 17.20 = 20.20 estimate and then poss 30+ more mins until next flight and an 8yr old on British time... could get stressful...

We are landing as PRs from the FSW btw.

Has anyone else simply waited and paid/booked the next available to the island after landing?

Thanks as always for info...

Oh and anyone any advice as to when the whole selling up, selling worldly goods, quitting, giving notice, saying goodbye, booking flights/transport/hotels, organising new life, finding new house, preparing to work in new place stuff gets easier? We are soooooo stressed out right now, with 2.5 weeks to go, and me working to the wire.... people coming to buy things and being picky about £15 items.... cannot wait to feel normal again! I know the answer obviously, but needing to share!
I would stay the night in Vancouver. If you get in at 5pm, then customs, immigration, then flight to Victoria, then 35minute ride into town - or wherever you're going, it is going to be a VERY long day. Why not have a pleasant night in Van and then take a flight in the morning. Float plane is nice, but luggage allowance is less than "normal" flights. Not usually an issue though as planes not always full. Nice views too.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 7:07 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If booking a connecting flight, the baggage allowance you check in with at POD follows you to the destination. If you book separate legs on your own, your 2nd flight may have a lower baggage allowance and extra costs for over weight/qty.

Float service to YWH is a much more limited baggage allowance, and extra bags are shipped on standby at extra cost.

Island Air Express go from YVR to YYJ for around $133 taxes incl. Baggage again is limited, so phone ahead if using this route.
Good point on the luggage ! Hadn't thought of that !
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough

Thanks all

Yes - we went via Harbor Air last year, and that (luggage allowance) is one reason I had decided not to go with them - I remembered the luggage allowance (which was fine for holiday, but I imagine we may have too much this time around).

I need to check into that.

Also, as I was initially intending to get to Vic the same day/night, they don't fly after something like 5pm at this time of year....

However, I think you are all right about maybe booking a hotel room in Van. I had just wanted to get to Vic ASAP, so that in the morning we were ready to move with things (feeling the pressure of having only a few days to get everything sorted before I start my new job). But realistically, we will be so drained, that I agree: a night in a hotel and an early start with a quick trip over via float plane might be the solution. Will check on the whole luggage thing though.

Another option I suppose, if we stay in Van first, is to hire a care and take the ferry over... but then that feels like a half day wasted...

Anyway, grateful to hear your thoughts... helps clear mine as so much stuff going on... Thanks again!
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 7:28 pm
half a century

Id stay at one of the airport hotels then take an A flight the next day from YVR so you don't have to worry bout luggage allowance .

You could always sky train into Vancouver that night if you particularly wanted to go out down town
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 7:37 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when we landed for good we stayed a night in Vancouver. Time differences meant we were up at the crack of dawn, hired a car and took a ferry at about 7.30am. The time saved having a car from the outset more than compensated for the ferry time of 1hr 35. Luggage issues not a problem either.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Alternative is to go with Pacific Coach Lines, who depart from the Vancouver Airport:

http://www.pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coac...er-to-Victoria

They have departures fairly frequently, and it's a piece of cake. They store your luggage in the coach cargo, drive south to Tsawwassen, and are the first on the ferries. You disembark the coach while on the ferry, enjoy the 90 minute ferry ride, board the coach while approaching Vancouver Island... the coach is the first off the ferry, and then it's a 35 minute drive into downtown Victoria. All in all, a fairly stress free way of getting there.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

I'd book a hotel. That way you don't have to stress about immigration time, and once you get through you will only be a really short time away from being able to eat dinner and crash out. You will be tired especially with an 8 year old.

Also, that way you can be up early next day, fresh and rested, to go that last little bit, whether you decide to do it via ferry or plane.

When we arrive in the summer we will have to get to Van Island too, but will most likely just stay over at an airport hotel and then take the ferry. That's what we did when we visited last year for a month. We had lots of luggage but it wasn't an issue on the ferry. We were going to Nanaimo but I'm sure the ferry to Victoria is similar. Our son was 10 and he was absolutely shattered when we reached Vancouver. He couldn't even eat. I think it would have been pretty awful having to try and get all the way to the island that night too.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:52 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Lychee
Alternative is to go with Pacific Coach Lines, who depart from the Vancouver Airport:

http://www.pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coac...er-to-Victoria

They have departures fairly frequently, and it's a piece of cake. They store your luggage in the coach cargo, drive south to Tsawwassen, and are the first on the ferries. You disembark the coach while on the ferry, enjoy the 90 minute ferry ride, board the coach while approaching Vancouver Island... the coach is the first off the ferry, and then it's a 35 minute drive into downtown Victoria. All in all, a fairly stress free way of getting there.
If you don't want/need a car, Lychee's idea is an excellent one. We've had lots of friends come over on Pacific Coaches over the years and we've either met them downtown or directly off the ferry in Sidney.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 3:20 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to rent a car or even get in a cab, make sure it has snow tires as we have snow.

Followed a guy driving 30kph to work day. Welcome to the Island

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.