Reload this Page >

Landing in March, but may be working in US for a year

Landing in March, but may be working in US for a year

Old Dec 29th 2009, 9:42 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing in March, but may be working in US for a year

Hi All,

my partner and I will be landing in Vancouver in March, so just starting to think about our goods to follow list. Thing is we've just had confimation from my work that I can most likely go to work in San Francisco for at least year, with them sorting out the US visa and the relocation fees etc. How does that affect our list? Do we have to guess everything we can that might go on the list and add it anyway? What about a vehicle and electrical goods? Cic website states you need to list serial numbers etc where applicable. Chances are we won't be permanently moving until next 2011 at the earliest and a year in the US will mean we'll be buying some stuff there for sure.

Has anyone had an experience where they've had to put down a vehicle or other large purchase, but not yet owned it?

thanks

James
Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in March, but may be working in US for a year

Originally Posted by oicur0t
Has anyone had an experience where they've had to put down a vehicle or other large purchase, but not yet owned it?
You should not put down things you don't own, that could be seen as tantamount to fraud.

Have you gone through this lot?
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/h...et/10-eng.html

You should also check on whether any vehicle you purchase can be imported in to Canada, not all can. If you lease the vehicle, it does not count as personal belongings.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:08 pm
Hello.

I've been through a lot of the info and it all makes sense. Just the fact that we may well own items for a year (or more) and not be able to include it on the goods to follow list doesn't seem that fair. It's not that I'm trying to bend any rules, if we can't add items then fair enough. A car that we would purchase would be one that we could take to Canada.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:31 pm
Hello.

I was also aware that there is a difference between landing and settling. The link you sent talks about settling

You will find the information in this publication helpful if you are moving to Canada for the first time to make this country your permanent home
for your goods to qualify for duty- and tax-free importation as settler’s effects, you must have owned, possessed, and used them before your arrival in Canada.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 12:12 am
Hello.

The admissable vehicles seems fairly extensive http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...Section3_0.htm

just don't buy a renault or a peugeot!