Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landed,living in and loving New Brunswick

Landed,living in and loving New Brunswick

Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:47 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landed,living in and loving New Brunswick

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Oh she got a transfer? How are you guys enjoying Freddytown?

Say Hi to Deoborah for me, I miss meeting her at the checkout.
Yes she did after the move and a summer break with her dad visiting. I will pass on your regards.

Enjoying Fredericton and living outside the city. Move was well timed as they appear to be building apartment blocks behind where we used to live.

Last edited by Tangram; Nov 17th 2010 at 10:52 am.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

tomtatew is an unknown quantity at this point

At last, some one who has moved to New Brunswick!! We landed our visas on 25th September and returned to the UK to sell up and get ready to move to Moncton area around May/June time. We are looking forward to it and intend to start a pet care business, grooming and kennelling. We have two dogs also that we call our boys. Glad to hear you had a good flight with Air Canada, and we also found return flights cheaper.

Who did you use to transport your pets and what removal company did you use? We have quotes from three removals, PSS, Pickfords and Anglo Pacific and believe it or not Pickfords were most competitive.

Hope you enjoy your move and would be interested in keeping in touch and see how you get on.

Regards

Tom Tate-W
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:31 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomtatew
At last, some one who has moved to New Brunswick!! We landed our visas on 25th September and returned to the UK to sell up and get ready to move to Moncton area around May/June time. We are looking forward to it and intend to start a pet care business, grooming and kennelling. We have two dogs also that we call our boys. Glad to hear you had a good flight with Air Canada, and we also found return flights cheaper.

Who did you use to transport your pets and what removal company did you use? We have quotes from three removals, PSS, Pickfords and Anglo Pacific and believe it or not Pickfords were most competitive.

Hope you enjoy your move and would be interested in keeping in touch and see how you get on.

Regards

Tom Tate-W
There are a few of us wise emigree's who have landed in NB, we tend to be a mouthy bunch when people are slagging off NB

But when someone is new we do try to help if we notice a specific thread on NB stuff.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
There are a few of us wise emigree's who have landed in NB, we tend to be a mouthy bunch when people are slagging off NB

But when someone is new we do try to help if we notice a specific thread on NB stuff.
We are planning to move over in May/June next year. We are looking to start a dog kennel and grooming business (cats can also be looked after) so are looking for a bit of land outside Moncton. It needs to be close enough for people to want to travel to us but far enough out to avoid annoying neighbours. We have looked at a number of areas but with only having been to NB once it is difficult to know where to locate.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tom tatew
Old Nov 21st 2010, 11:24 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

We are planning to move over in May/June next year. We are looking to start a dog kennel and grooming business (cats can also be looked after) so are looking for a bit of land outside Moncton. It needs to be close enough for people to want to travel to us but far enough out to avoid annoying neighbours. We have looked at a number of areas but with only having been to NB once it is difficult to know where to locate.

Tom tatew
Have you checked out the MLS.ca website? It provides access to residential and commercial real estate listings in Canada, just type in the city and start searching on price, etc...
Old Nov 21st 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Tom tatew
Hi Tom

We came over in 2007 and bought a house with 25 acres just 10 minutes from Moncton.
I would (like Dave) also recomend looking on the mls. Just be aware that sometimes properties that look promisng can be a lot fiurther out then they seem especially in realtor speak. Their idea of minutes from town can be an hour!
So if you see anything you like give us a shout and we will be happy to help with locations etc.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp
Wow, at last an opportunity to let you all know that I have quite a

story to tell! It is such a miserable day here today (weather wise that

is!).

I have just had the most rediculously busy 6 or 7 weeks I've ever

experienced. Those of you who have actually landed and moved to Canada

at the same time, will know just exactly what I mean.

The story so far......we booked our flight to land (and to stay) for 27

September 2010. We were bringing our two dogs (the boys) with us on the

flight. We booked with Air Canada for several reasons. Firstly, the

boys were able to travel with us to Halifax and secondly the price was

right. For a grand total of about £1450 I was able to get us all here

and have two tickets to the UK as well. It was cheaper to buy the

return flights than to buy singles. Most of our worldly possessions

were packed into a container on 20 September and, by the time we

arrived here, were somewhere in the Atlantic

To all intents and purposes,we had already purchased a house

(unseen!!) in a lovely quiet location a few miles from Rogersville, New

Brunswick. All we had to do when we arrived was to put our signatures

to the paperwork, grab the keys....and move in. Now.....before you all

have a go at us for taking such risks, let me say that we did an awful

lot of research about the house and the area and had also come to trust

a particular realtor from Miramichi. Without his help, resourcefulness

and honesty, I'm not sure what we would have done. I have no hesitation

in highly recommending Patrick Flanagan to you. He did a great job for

us.

When we arrived at Halifax, I had to "land". This really was very

straight forward. There were just two people ahead of me in the

immigration queue.Apart from the wait for these two, I guess the total

process took no more than 20 minutes. It was very straight forward.

Then on to customs.....this was slightly trickier....we had to clear

the boys, have all the necessary paperwork filled out, get a receipt!!

(don't ask) for the value of accompanying goods and goods to

follow.....and that was that! About 50 minutes, I guess. Then a quick

drive from Halifax to Moncton.....dropped the boys at their bording

kennel for a few days.....and finally arrived at our guest house where

we stayed for 3 nights until we picked up the keys to our new home!

During the next three days, we bought a car, got my exchange driving

licence (motor cycle included!), applied for my SIN, organised bank

accounts and did just about everything you have to do to get

established in this country.

We took over the house on 30 September, our worldly good arrived here

6th October since which time we have been sorting the house and

preparing for WINTER. I believe that we are now ready to face

winter....and to be truthful am somewhat looking forward to it!! When

Spring comes we will do some more work inside the house in an attempt

to get it just the way we want it!!
Hi, just found this thread, how are things going now? We are moving to the Moncton area on 21 April and looking forward to it. We considered buying without seeing but thought it might be the wrong thing to do. Are you planning to stay for a while?
Did you have any problems collecting the boys from the customs people? We have two boys as well, a GSD and Springer Spaniel. We are flying Air Transat with them, our flights one way cost £570 for us and £1700 for the dogs.

Hope you get this, I know yours was a while ago.

Regards

Tom Tatew
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Hi Tom....OK...so here's an update.

Although I had no previous experience of a Canadian winter, and although this winter has been, by all accounts, quite hard and long......we have survived well. We still have a couple of feet of snow on the ground but the level is going down. It will be really nice to be able to get back outside and do SOMETHING!!. The ATV is serviced and ready to go....and so are we!

Although we have survived the Winter well, there has been the odd occasion when we were feeling a little low......but this has more to do with our personal lives than Canada or New Brunswick.

By far the most emotional event was yesterday......sadly, it was necessary to have one of our beloved boys put down....he had not fared too well during the Winter, had been getting steadily more and more agressive over the months...as well as being quite withdrawn. We believe that he was suffering from a physical illness.....as did the vet.....hence the action that we took.

We sold our house in the UK....(due to exchange contracts this week).....and this will, at last, release some funds.

We have been under pressure from family to move over to BC...and have decided that, as we have now sold the UK property, we will do exactly this. I should make it clear that this is no slight on NB, and that to date we have enjoyed our time here. We have now listed our property near Rogersville and hope that it will sell reasonably soon. I shall miss the acreage and the absolute peace and quiet that we experience here.

Our boys travelled as excess baggage on our flight and so collecting them from Customs wasn't something we had to do. I am sure that others on this site will be able to help you on this matter.

Feel free to ask any questions....I shall always attempt to give answers which are both honest and objective!!

Cheers for now,
Steve
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:09 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Steve...you offered...here goes...

I am terribly sorry about your dog, you must both be in bits... but this would have happened in the UK too, don't you and the vet think? Our dog died a year ago this week and we are putting off getting another till we get to Canada, just the cats now. Will you get another dog?

When I read 'peace and quiet' you don't mean total oblivion/dying of boredom do you?

Do you think you could be a bit more descriptive about your impressions, warts and all - general feelings of NB a bit please - did you like lots or hate oodles, will you be sorry to leave, and why do you think you might like BC better?

I 'think' I'm building up a bit of an idea of East Coast Canada, from lots and tons of reading but it's so nice to get lots of on the ground opinions too.

Many thanks
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MillieF
Steve...you offered...here goes...

I am terribly sorry about your dog, you must both be in bits... but this would have happened in the UK too, don't you and the vet think? Our dog died a year ago this week and we are putting off getting another till we get to Canada, just the cats now. Will you get another dog?

When I read 'peace and quiet' you don't mean total oblivion/dying of boredom do you?

Do you think you could be a bit more descriptive about your impressions, warts and all - general feelings of NB a bit please - did you like lots or hate oodles, will you be sorry to leave, and why do you think you might like BC better?

I 'think' I'm building up a bit of an idea of East Coast Canada, from lots and tons of reading but it's so nice to get lots of on the ground opinions too.

Many thanks
Hi MillieF......firstly, thanks for the note about our boy....yes, we are in bits but we will get through it We already have two other dogs, but will NOT be replacing Chester.

No, MillieF, I didn't mean my comment about absolute peace and quiet to be taken negatively......for us it is a very positive atribute....we love it! We live about 10kms out of the village but are not isolated. We have neighbours.. but far enough away to maintain our privacy, when we wish to. Privacy is something we both value.

We have only been in NB for 6 months, most of which has been Winter...so I'm not sure that I can say a lot about the place.....the people we have met have been very friendly, our village has quite a few facilities, Miramichi is only a 30 minute ride away (and is a lovely place) and Moncton about an hour.

I will be sorry to leave...there are, I am told, so many things to do and so many places to see. Property prices are very sensible as are property taxes. My wife, who is Canadian, has spent most of her life in BC and most, if not all, of her family is still there. That is the ONLY reason that such a move is in our minds.

Did I give the impression that I would like BC better than NB? I hope not! I have no way to tell if this would be the case. I am happy here. I like it here. I would happily stay here. I'm sure that if I look hard enough, I could find all sorts of reasons to say I don't like it here....but that is true of any place I have lived. I take it as MY RESPONSIBILITY to make my life here a good one.

I wish I had been here a little longer so that I could answer your questions more fully.

Hope it helps
Steve
Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:41 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Steve it really did help. We hope to spend 6 months in NB before buying, and discovering 'where' and indeed 'if' we might call it home. My husband was born in BC! His mother and brother are in Calgary. NB is a new adventure, we hope, for us both. You didn't sound negative in any way. I very much enjoyed your arriving in NB with the boys, good reading and most informative.... I am not sure that we will hold out as a non dog family until we arrive in Canada. We are all feeling a loss, and I have gained 5kgs!! A walk just doesn't seem like a walk without the hairy heartbeat at your feet! Best of luck on your relocating. Keep us informed how it goes. Once again many thanks.