Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landed,living in and loving New Brunswick

Landed,living in and loving New Brunswick

Old Nov 7th 2010, 2:55 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landed,living in and loving New Brunswick

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Yes, buying some mushrooms..... Jules is busy at the craft fair and I wanted to surprise her with my culinary skills and make a Beef Stroganoff.

Did you listen to the piano player? My daughter informed me they have a grand piano for anyone to play on!
On the stroganoff, my daughter intervened and made it
Old Nov 7th 2010, 2:57 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, buying some mushrooms..... Jules is busy at the craft fair and I wanted to surprise her with my culinary skills and make a Beef Stroganoff.

Did you listen to the piano player? My daughter informed me they have a grand piano for anyone to play on!
I wasn't in there, but my wife served you.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:02 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I wasn't in there, but my wife served you.
The lady from Warrington, Deborah (I think), we only pop in occassionally, Jules is a Sobey's junkie
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:03 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

The lady from Warrington, Deborah (I think), we only pop in occassionally, Jules is a Sobey's junkie
That's correct.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Seedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant future

Its nice to read these accounts, I really enjoy them, especially when it is somewhere you would like to move to eventually. Would also be nice to have some piccies too.

Thanks for posting, keep us updated with your new life.

< edit > Is that about normal for shipping a dog? For some reason I figured it was in the thousands? It is one reason we have held off getting a dog whilst in the UK.......mmm

Last edited by Seedubs; Nov 7th 2010 at 8:29 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Welcome to NB
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by maggie and chris
That made for happy reading!

Congratulations to you all - I hope the boys settle quickly.

Best of luck, I look forward to hearing how it's all going.

Maggie and Chris
Thanks Maggie and Chris. The boys are having the time of their life...they are both Jack Russels and are very energetic. We have about 4 acres for them to hunt on and to play. They love it. We have had to have a compound built for them because we have bears and coyotes in the vicinity...when it is dark, this is the limit of their adventures. However it is about 40ft square so plenty of room for them to play! They are usually completely tired out by about 6pm!!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daisychain
Hi

How did you find air canada with your boys? Only asking as we will be taking our 'boy' next year and are probably going to fly with them. Was it a simple process from getting to uk airport to picking them up? Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks

DC
Hi Daisychain..........to be honest, we had no problems with Air Canada and the actual transporting of our boys. The process of ARRANGING their flight was, to say the least, a little frustrating. I shall attempt to explain why!

Firstly, of course, you have to book your own flight. (I would strongly suggest that you check with AC as to whether they will fly pets to your chosen destination BEFORE you do this. Also check to ensure that, if they will, there is no weather embargo in place for the time you would wish to travel).

Once you have your flights booked and confirmed, you will need to ring AC (you get through to Delhi, I believe) and this is where it got frustrating for us. We had recently ordered two IATA approved carriers for the boys in anticipation of our flight. They told us that we could only have one carrier for the flight and that they needed to know the dimensions of the ONE carrier. End of phone call...cancel order for two carriers....place order for one large carrier. Obtain dimensions of large carrier, and weight. The Large carrier plus two dogs plus blankets etc may not weigh more than 32 Kg.

Contact AC...advise weight and dimensions of carrier and ask to book for same flight. Are the two dogs litter sibblings they ask. No is the simple reply......"then they cannot travel in one carrier".......!!!

After going round in circles for about 30 minutes, getting supervisors involved etc etc.....we finally were able to book the dogs to our flight....however....it can take up to 72 hours for them to CONFIRM that they can travel....(BUT, you only have 24 hours to re-arrange your own flight arrangements from time of booking (without cost to you) we told them that this was a rediculous situation to put us in.....but they were adamant, and wouldn't budge an inch. We had no option but to accept this "risk".

About an hour and a half later we received a call to say that the booking was confirmed....THANK THE LORD....everything was OK.

AC at heathrow were very good with the dogs, once checked in, we were able to take the boys for a walk, they were able to do what dogs need to do and we simply had to get them back within 30 minutes or so.

The flight was fine for them (as far as we can tell) as was the processing of the dogs at Halifax. They have forgotten all about their special journey and are having the time of their life.

From your posting, I was not able to tell whether you have one or two to bring with you. I suggest that, if you chose to come on the same flight, you simply persevere with Delhi.....and don't take "no" for an answer.

Hope this helps
Steve
Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:25 am
Just Joined

greenfields is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp
Hi Daisychain..........to be honest, we had no problems with Air Canada and the actual transporting of our boys. The process of ARRANGING their flight was, to say the least, a little frustrating. I shall attempt to explain why!

Firstly, of course, you have to book your own flight. (I would strongly suggest that you check with AC as to whether they will fly pets to your chosen destination BEFORE you do this. Also check to ensure that, if they will, there is no weather embargo in place for the time you would wish to travel).

Once you have your flights booked and confirmed, you will need to ring AC (you get through to Delhi, I believe) and this is where it got frustrating for us. We had recently ordered two IATA approved carriers for the boys in anticipation of our flight. They told us that we could only have one carrier for the flight and that they needed to know the dimensions of the ONE carrier. End of phone call...cancel order for two carriers....place order for one large carrier. Obtain dimensions of large carrier, and weight. The Large carrier plus two dogs plus blankets etc may not weigh more than 32 Kg.

Contact AC...advise weight and dimensions of carrier and ask to book for same flight. Are the two dogs litter sibblings they ask. No is the simple reply......"then they cannot travel in one carrier".......!!!

After going round in circles for about 30 minutes, getting supervisors involved etc etc.....we finally were able to book the dogs to our flight....however....it can take up to 72 hours for them to CONFIRM that they can travel....(BUT, you only have 24 hours to re-arrange your own flight arrangements from time of booking (without cost to you) we told them that this was a rediculous situation to put us in.....but they were adamant, and wouldn't budge an inch. We had no option but to accept this "risk".

About an hour and a half later we received a call to say that the booking was confirmed....THANK THE LORD....everything was OK.

AC at heathrow were very good with the dogs, once checked in, we were able to take the boys for a walk, they were able to do what dogs need to do and we simply had to get them back within 30 minutes or so.

The flight was fine for them (as far as we can tell) as was the processing of the dogs at Halifax. They have forgotten all about their special journey and are having the time of their life.

From your posting, I was not able to tell whether you have one or two to bring with you. I suggest that, if you chose to come on the same flight, you simply persevere with Delhi.....and don't take "no" for an answer.

Hope this helps
Steve
Can you clarify - ( I am new to this whole emigrate thing ) from your post I'm unsure if you went through the VISA process or did you literally just land??
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

amie01 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Landed,living in and loving New Brunswick

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp

Hope this helps
Steve
Hi Steve

This is a brilliant post! Myself and OH are starting the PR visa soon but i was slightly worried and didn't know where to even begin with bringing our 2 over!

Glad to hear that they were not traumatised by the flight, one of mine is not phased about travelling at all (the female) but the other (male) gets very very stressed so i think he'll have to have a tranquiliser to knock him out when we eventually make the leap!

Amie
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

This is a brilliant post! Myself and OH are starting the PR visa soon but i was slightly worried and didn't know where to even begin with bringing our 2 over!

Glad to hear that they were not traumatised by the flight, one of mine is not phased about travelling at all (the female) but the other (male) gets very very stressed so i think he'll have to have a tranquiliser to knock him out when we eventually make the leap!

Amie

Well....thank you very much Amie. You kind comments are well received! Just one point though, I would suggest that, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you give your dog(s) any form of tranquiliser prior to flying. Apparently, tranquilisers lower blood pressure....as does flying....could result in a heartache for you! Would suggest you speak with your vet. I am sure that he would concur with the above.

Steve
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by greenfields
Can you clarify - ( I am new to this whole emigrate thing ) from your post I'm unsure if you went through the VISA process or did you literally just land??
Hi Greenfields......Thanks for the question. I regret that I am not aware of your individual circumstances......but am doubtful that it is possible to simply land!! The visa process is there to allow, inter alia, the Authorities to stop that happening....I would suggest that as a new member, you do some significant reading of the Immigration section of this site......I'm sure it will open your eyes!!

Good Luck,
Steve

PS take alook at my signature line!

Last edited by Steveh27wp; Nov 16th 2010 at 11:39 am.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenfields
Just to clarify, in immigration terms 'landing' means going to Canada to activate your PR status. You have to do this within one year of the date of medical, and once done you are a PR of Canada.

So if people on this forum refer to 'landing', that is what they mean. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to add my WELCOME to NB.....

We had a really bad winter the year we moved here 2007. Last year winter was easy by comparison. One thing is for sure, there will be snow!!!

Enjoy.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
That's correct.
Oh she got a transfer? How are you guys enjoying Freddytown?

Say Hi to Deoborah for me, I miss meeting her at the checkout.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.