Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landed Immigrant

Landed Immigrant

Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landed Immigrant

Im a landed immigrant and have been in Calgary for allmost 6 years now i could apply for citizenship if i wanted but am still only of landed immigrant status.

Im thinking of traveling for a while and know that i can only stay outside of Canada for 6 months with a landed immigrant status, but i wish to stay out longer so my question is if i stay out for just under 6 months then return to Canada how long is it before i can leave Canada and stay out for another 6 months?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:34 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landed Immigrant

Just out of interest is there any reason you didnt apply for citizenship? Cuz I can imagine renewing your PR every few years must be a right pain!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think you can only stay out of Canada for 6 months? You can stay out as long as you like, the only time restraint is that you must spend 2 years out of every 5 year period in Canada - unless you are accompanying a Canadian spouse abroad, or sent to work abroad by a Canadian company, in which case you count that time as spent in Canada for residency purposes.

So you can stay out for a year or two if you want, just as long as you spend 2 years out of 5 in Canada. And bear in mind that for citizenship, it must be 3 years out of the previous 4, so if you do spend longer than that out of Canada, you may have to start from scratch to accumulate time for citizenship.

Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:53 am
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of

Just out of curiosity, what is the full cost of converting from PR to citizenship?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

CIC lists all the current costs involved in applying for citizenship.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:38 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemi
Just out of curiosity, what is the full cost of converting from PR to citizenship?
I'm sure it will be less than the cost of renewing your British passport
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:39 pm
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
CIC lists all the current costs involved in applying for citizenship.
Naturally. Though I was just curious whether someone had the figure at hand.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

After looking at the website it seems like it's about $275.

$200 for the Citizenship, $75 for the certificate.

Old Aug 8th 2011, 1:29 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I'm sure it will be less than the cost of renewing your British passport
You always give quality answers on this forum and thats what I like you for Edo
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure about that christma? Would you know a website where I could check this out?

And thanks for the info
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

The rules about maintaining your PR has been discussed many times on this forum and are well known.

It is as has been said 2 years out of every 5 years for PR and 3 years out of every 4 years for Citizenship.

I am not sure where you got the six months from.

I'll take a couple of minutes and get the links your requested, but you could find them just as easily.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcome...sp#keep_status

Here also is info in the Wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...gations-Canada

Last edited by britsnake; Aug 8th 2011 at 3:19 pm. Reason: 2nd link added
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davio28
Are you sure about that christma? Would you know a website where I could check this out?

And thanks for the info
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcome...sp#keep_status

It used to be six months but the rules changed a few years ago.

[edit] britsnake sneaked in with the link while I was posting.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:19 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by el_richo
You always give quality answers on this forum and thats what I like you for Edo
It wasnt an answer, it was a comment
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:57 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davio28

And thanks for the info
If Christmasoompa says it you can take it to the bank.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:19 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
It wasnt an answer, it was a comment
By definition and in the context of the quote, it was an answer. But you knew that of course

OP, Christmasoompa is correct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.