Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landed at Calgary!!!

Landed at Calgary!!!

Old Jul 14th 2010, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold
Default Landed at Calgary!!!

Well, we've done it, PR as of 13/07/2010.
No matter how many landing stories we read on here it was still nerve racking and we still didn't think it would be as easy as we have heard but now, having landed last night, I can honestly say it was that easy.
I can only thank all who have posted their landing tales on here for their advice as to having all your docs prepared and organised.

We missed out on our earlier flight yesterday so we arrived at Calgary at 7:30 pm, really pretty tired. At the immigration desk we just stated our desire to activate our PR visa, the girl at the booth asked if we had our COPR and other docs and we said we did. She then pointed us in the direction of the immigration section directly behind the booths. Once there the IO wanted to know how much money we were bringing but when we offered to show her our bank statements as proof, she wasn't interested, "No need sir" she stated then stamped our forms, gave us our COPR to sign and officially welcomed us to Canada along with our PR leaflet with useful information.

We then collected our baggage which was just coming onto the baggage claim belts, it was that quick a process we were all stamped before most of the passengers off the plane were joining us in baggage claim

Another quick visit to the customs areas where we presented our Goods to Follow and Accompanying list and we were on our way to our hotel. The whole thing took less than half an hour and was totally painless.
Its a great feeling now we are officially PR and we are well excited now its all sinking in, looking forward to now sorting our house and everything else out over the next 12 months before our permanent move in May 2011.
But first we have a small matter of the Calgary Stampede and the Bon Jovi concert tonight to enjoy, yee haa!!

Again thanks to everyone who has advised us over the last 2 years and just to sat......we did it!!!!!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 5:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landed at Calgary!!!

CBSA is pretty laid back at YYC, I'm sure I could have had a ton of coke in my personal belongings and they wouldn't have noticed. But I came in through Pearson, first of all they thought I was Russian because I had a red passport so that caused confusion, then after my visa was processed they sent me to do my B4 and B4A and the woman at the counter was fast asleep and dribbling on herself.

Couple of tips on Lethbridge if you don't already know - it's pretty windy because the slot through the Rockies that is the Crowsnest Pass funnels the air down into the city, so make sure you don't leave things lying around. Also, been a lot of floods the last few years, most of the new houses are outside of the flood plain but if it were me I'd make sure I lived well outside it.

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 14th 2010 at 5:34 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 6:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
CBSA is pretty laid back at YYC, I'm sure I could have had a ton of coke in my personal belongings and they wouldn't have noticed.
That I would love to see!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 6:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Couple of tips on Lethbridge if you don't already know - it's pretty windy because the slot through the Rockies that is the Crowsnest Pass funnels the air down into the city
It is the Fohn effect rather than wind being funneled through the pass. Happens all the way along the mountains.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:49 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, what a great feeling

am now off to google fohn effect
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

Fantastic news. Congratulations and here's to many happy years ahead....welcome to Calgary guys.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Thanks for posting ... and congrats on finally getting there!! I am not sure if I'm more jealous of you landing or the Bon Jovi concert

Enjoy!!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:43 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yup I still love reading the landing stories, and the whole sense of excitement that the posts contain.

Many congrats and enjoy Bov Jovi
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:15 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations - glad it all went well. Hope you enjoyed the Stampede and the concert!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mags1972

I'm so pleased your landing experience was painless, ours was in December. We move permanently on Sunday, looking forward now. Enjoy your holiday.

Poppit
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

congrats and welcome to calgary!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

lolly 4 has a brilliant futurelolly 4 has a brilliant futurelolly 4 has a brilliant futurelolly 4 has a brilliant futurelolly 4 has a brilliant futurelolly 4 has a brilliant futurelolly 4 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Poppit
Hi Mags1972

I'm so pleased your landing experience was painless, ours was in December. We move permanently on Sunday, looking forward now. Enjoy your holiday.

Poppit
Good luck we are 2 weeks after you.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Goodluck to you too, lolly4, hope your move goes smoothly and you're looking forward.

Poppit
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:55 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010

am now off to google fohn effect
It's the Chinook eh?!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:35 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
It's the Chinook eh?!
Pronounced chin-ook right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.