Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kingston or Kelowna?? Can't decide!!!

Kingston or Kelowna?? Can't decide!!!

Old May 8th 2009, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Jo Nicho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kingston or Kelowna?? Can't decide!!!

Hi

We are hoping to move to Canada next summer when the children finish their school year. We have told them we are going for a year to begin with and that we may come back, as they are very settled here (has anyone else experienced this with their children - although we are moving for a better life for all of us, I feel really guilty!).

The only thing is we can't afford to come for a holiday first - but we have narrowed our search down to Kingston or Kelowna.

We love the outdoor life, skiing, hiking and camping, golf, watersports, but we also need to be near a good university for me and a psych hospital for my husband (nurse), oh and also affordable housing as we would like some outdoor space - not asking for too much then!!!!

Does anyone live in either Kingston or Kelowna, and would you be happy to share your experience of these places? I really appreciate your advice and comments.

Thanks, Jo
Old May 8th 2009, 9:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kingston or Kelowna?? Can't decide!!!

Originally Posted by Jo Nicho
Hi

We are hoping to move to Canada next summer when the children finish their school year. We have told them we are going for a year to begin with and that we may come back, as they are very settled here (has anyone else experienced this with their children - although we are moving for a better life for all of us, I feel really guilty!).

The only thing is we can't afford to come for a holiday first - but we have narrowed our search down to Kingston or Kelowna.

We love the outdoor life, skiing, hiking and camping, golf, watersports, but we also need to be near a good university for me and a psych hospital for my husband (nurse), oh and also affordable housing as we would like some outdoor space - not asking for too much then!!!!

Does anyone live in either Kingston or Kelowna, and would you be happy to share your experience of these places? I really appreciate your advice and comments.

Thanks, Jo
I know you've said you can't afford a visit but are you sure you can't find the money!? To move somewhere without visiting is one hell of a chance to take, particularly with kids. If they're settled where you are now, what if you move and hate it and have to uproot them again? Plus of course, if you do have to move after discovering your original choice of place isn't for you after all, that move will cost more than a trip would anyway.

Bearing in mind it'll cost you £15-20k or so to move anyway, what's a couple of extra thousand on a reccie trip in the grand scheme of things?!?

Perhaps you could look into doing a house swap? Most of them would swap cars too, so at least then you'd only have to pay for flights.

Whereabouts have you been to in Canada previously and did you like it or not? That might help people steer you towards the right place.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

P.S. If you love to ski then forget Ontario - B.C. would probably be much better for you if that's an important part of the move for you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 8th 2009 at 9:48 am.
Old May 8th 2009, 9:58 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo Nicho
Hi

Thanks, Jo
I couldn't give you an insight in living within these areas but i do know the following:

Kelowna would offer you some good skiiing, hiking, watersports, and a few championship golf courses. I believe it also has a UBC campus there.

As for cheap housing with land? That could be a tough one but i stand to be corrected. Although i guess it depends on your definition of affordable.

I personally like Kelowna, more as a vacation area, yet my friends live there and love it!!!!

The lake, beach, and the wineries are fab.

As Umpa has said above, i really would make an investment by visiting before you decide as it could save you a chunk of money and hassle, especially with kids involved. Just my opinion mind you.

Finally, Kelowna for sure is mightily different from York. As i said above, Kelowna is great for a holiday (IMO), and i believe York is a great place to actually live. You're lucky to be in such a lovely, historical place. I was there last weekend stuffing my face with Petergate fish & chips

Good luck with your decisions and move
Old May 8th 2009, 11:02 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Bearing in mind it'll cost you £15-20k or so to move anyway,
That would be for Realtor rip offs, sorry fees. Factor in moving expenses like lawyers and removals too, especially the distance involved.
Old May 8th 2009, 11:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
That would be for Realtor rip offs, sorry fees. Factor in moving expenses like lawyers and removals too, especially the distance involved.
Sorry, should have clarified I meant to move from the UK! Not move within Canada.

Our move is going to cost nearly £20k and that doesn't include realtor fees as we'll be renting at least to start with.

I just think if they're paying that amount to move their family across the world, a reccie trip is small change in comparison and probably fairly essential.

Old May 8th 2009, 11:12 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry, should have clarified I meant to move from the UK! Not move within Canada.

Our move is going to cost nearly £20k and that doesn't include realtor fees as we'll be renting at least to start with.

I just think if they're paying that amount to move their family across the world, a reccie trip is small change in comparison and probably fairly essential.

For some people all their money is tied up ready for the move - a trip over here, which for a family of 4 could cost up to 3k/4k after flights, hotels, rental car, food etc etc just isn't feasible. Every penny we had for moving over was carefully saved and stashed away - we didn't even have one spare penny!

Sometimes you just have to make the move without a reccie and that isn't a bad things as long as you keep in your mind that if you find out you DON'T like the place, that you can move on elsewhere.

Obviously with kid's this makes things harder - but then finding the best in life isn't supposed to be easy ;0)
Old May 8th 2009, 11:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
For some people all their money is tied up ready for the move - a trip over here, which for a family of 4 could cost up to 3k/4k after flights, hotels, rental car, food etc etc just isn't feasible.
That's why I suggested a home swap - they could do it for £1500 then as they wouldn't have to pay for accommodation or car hire.

I just struggle to understand why somebody would move (particularly with kids) to somewhere they've never even visited. I'd rather wait and save up money for a reccie trip personally - but jmo.

Old May 8th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

When I did my research I notice Kingston is mostly associated with old people as a retirement city. Some nice architecture their though if you look at the pictures.

There is a website you can have a look at the weather stats if your bothered about that. Also check out this:

http://list.canadianbusiness.com/ran...2=1&d1=a&sc1=6
Old May 8th 2009, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

I can tell you a bit about Kingston, although we are still in the UK we have a house/cottage on a lake about 25 minutes out of Kingston.
Kingston seems to have a good mix of people - because there is a university, hospitals, military base and prisons!
There are a lot of restaurants and (for Canada) the shopping is pretty good - both individual shops and malls.
During the summer there are a lot of festivals and the buskers convention in July is better than anything I have seen in Covent garden.
The housing we thought was really reasonable - our house cost $240,000 3 years ago - couldnt buy a bedsit in London for that if you pm me Ill send you a link to our website.
Kingston is the place in Canada where we would like to be - cant comment on Kelowna - never been.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:40 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I imagine Kingston would be a lot cheaper to live in. It's got a great University (Queen's) and I've always quite liked it there. Kingston would have everything available except for the skiing (on mountains anyway). There are some places to ski nearby in Quebec I think. Can't comment on Kelowna because I've never been, but I did grow up in Brockville which is a 45 minute drive from Kingston.

http://list.canadianbusiness.com/ran...=1&d1=a&sc1=-1

http://list.canadianbusiness.com/ran...aspx?profile=3

http://list.canadianbusiness.com/ran...spx?profile=96
Old May 8th 2009, 12:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
When I did my research I notice Kingston is mostly associated with old people as a retirement city. Some nice architecture their though if you look at the pictures.

There is a website you can have a look at the weather stats if your bothered about that. Also check out this:

http://list.canadianbusiness.com/ran...2=1&d1=a&sc1=6
??? All those geriatrics at Queens Uni and the RMC no doubt.

Seems to me you dont know Kingston.

Back to the OPs post... Kingston will be cheaper to buy into, bit the skiing wont be on your doorstep, you will have to drive a few hours, and even then its not the Rockies.

Kingston is right on the lake though and the 1000 islands, so watersports are a winner.

I think there will be more access to decent Unis and Hospitals in the Kingston area as it opens the posibility of commuting to Ottawa too.

Food for thought.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

The nearest ski resort to Kingston is Calobogie near Ottawa about 2 hour drive from Kingston http://www.calabogie.com/
There is lots of snowmobiling close to Kingston if you want to get out in the snow.
And as you say the 1000 islands are right on your doorstep.
Old May 8th 2009, 12:52 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Kingston would be about an hour and 45 minute drive to get to Ottawa, probably too far for a daily commute.

I grew up in Brockville which is almost right in the middle of the two. Brockville is an hour from Ottawa and 45 minutes to Kingston.
Old May 8th 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
??? All those geriatrics at Queens Uni and the RMC no doubt.

Seems to me you dont know Kingston.

Back to the OPs post... Kingston will be cheaper to buy into, bit the skiing wont be on your doorstep, you will have to drive a few hours, and even then its not the Rockies.

Kingston is right on the lake though and the 1000 islands, so watersports are a winner.

I think there will be more access to decent Unis and Hospitals in the Kingston area as it opens the posibility of commuting to Ottawa too.

Food for thought.

That info is from wikipedia so nowt to do with my knowledge of the place.
Old May 8th 2009, 1:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Kingston would be about an hour and 45 minute drive to get to Ottawa, probably too far for a daily commute.

I grew up in Brockville which is almost right in the middle of the two. Brockville is an hour from Ottawa and 45 minutes to Kingston.
I didnt realise its was that far. Im suprised its as slow as that, it takes me about 2 1/2 hrs to get to Ottawa from Stirling on hwy 7 ,and we are an hour west of Kingston,

There is always the option of somewhere like Smith Falls?

Calabogie is alright, but its not exactly hardcore mountain country, I expect a serious skier would be more likely to gravitate to Tremblant or Upstate NY, which is going to be a couple of hours drive. Even then its not exactly west coast mountain terain.

I could be wrong, but isnt property in Kelowna going to be twice as expensive? Im guessing average prices closer to $500k compared to $250 in Kingston? Surely that has to be a factor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.