Kingston Area

Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

theDIV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kingston Area

Kingston Area

Has anyone out there moved to the Kingston area, or lived there at some point? This is one of the places I am considering moving to, and would like to hear peoples opinions on the place.

thanks!
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:59 am
Evil petting zoo owner

gingermartin is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never been there myself but a woman I work with, Her son lives there and loves it. He moved out there from the UK 2 years ago and says its great.

Have you had a look at the city website

Martin
Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kingston Area

Originally posted by theDIV
Kingston Area

Has anyone out there moved to the Kingston area, or lived there at some point? This is one of the places I am considering moving to, and would like to hear peoples opinions on the place.

thanks!

I've lived near Kingston for the last 30 years and enjoying it. It's a small city with good university, restaurants, sailing etc. but no big city headaches like traffic jams. 2.5 hrs away from Toronto, Ottawa and 3.5 from Montreal for big city attractions. A tourist place on Lake Ontario near 1000 Islands, Sandbank Park

http://www.kingstonarea.on.ca/
Old Mar 19th 2004, 12:48 pm
mickj

Kingston Area

thanks!
Hello there,

My brother in-law lives there. Its a nice little town, with its own fair share of rednecks, if you are looking for multicultural, you ain't going to find it there, and that is the honest truth.

Its sort of like a college town, minus yobs hanging around and all that. The royal military college ( RMC ) is also there, which my brother in-law graduated from as an Engineering Naval officer, its a must see school.

Some of the ministries and major banks also have their HQs round there. Ministry of transport and RBC spring to mind. You can get a spanking brand new house with basement and all that for 250k, and that includes a double garage and a long driveway. That is what my brother in-law has.

There are good schools for the kids, french immersion and all that, and like someone said, during the summer time, you can have a romantic walk along the lake whilst licking your ice cream, there are some good restaurants along the lake there too.

We are always there every other weekend, as much as we like it, its not for us though. Go check it out during the winter time, and see if you get a feel for it.

Good luck

Old Mar 19th 2004, 3:24 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I was in Kingston last month and couldn't believe how many homeless people were on the streets begging for money: no disrepect but it was a bit like refugee city.

Be aware that there is also a "correctional institute" in Kingston.

Having said that, it is quite a nice place. Architecturally pleasing and some nice parks and of course the waterfront. It was very, very much colder than any of the other towns in Ontario that we stayed in.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 4:04 pm
mickj

Kingston is quite a big place compared to other towns, the military college there should cancel out the correctional centre nagativity if any.

There are homeless people everywhere you go in canada, even around surburbs with millionaire rows. The fact of the matter here is, i know someone living there already might think its wonderful, but that doesn't mean your family will like it, as a single or lady may be.

There is a lot that has to be taken into consideration here, the kids have to be happy after all, and be able to get around if you are not there to take them out, otherwise they will be bored stiff, and you will never be forgiven for that, unles you move.

Also there has to be things the adults can enjoy too, like theatres, restaurants, bars, cinema etc etc

Old Mar 19th 2004, 4:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Tiaribbon
I was in Kingston last month and couldn't believe how many homeless people were on the streets begging for money: no disrepect but it was a bit like refugee city.

Be aware that there is also a "correctional institute" in Kingston.

Having said that, it is quite a nice place. Architecturally pleasing and some nice parks and of course the waterfront. It was very, very much colder than any of the other towns in Ontario that we stayed in.
Actually there are 3 or 4 pens there or nearby, they are a major employer, along with DuPont, the government agencies and RMC and Queens Uni.

If you have bought near Cambelford, you should be aware of the huge High Security Pen in Walkworth, just down the road, but it doesnt realy have any impact on day to day life, unless you are going to work there.

Down by the lake in Kingston the wind can make it seem cold, but I am sure on any given day Ottawa is colder due to being further north. That breeze is a blessing in the summer!

I like Kingston, its one of the few places in Ontario with a bit of old archetecture, and a real downtown core still, although there are also the big mall complexes towards the outskirts. Of course that sometimes means its hard to find on street parking downtown, and the down town one way system is not something I miss! But in general its an OK place.

As far a homeless folks go, are they not just about everywhere? I dont remember Kingston being any worse that other places I've been.

Iain
Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:53 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Yes we went to see what the institute in Warkworth was like, but it didn't seem very big to me. I thought it only had about 600 or 700 folk there? I also thought it was just a medium security prison.

Well there you go!! And I thought that I had researched everything. It won't affect us though as we are miles away from it.

Going back to Kingston though and its homeless community. Honestly when I was there last month there was a far larger proportion of homeless people in that town than any of the other towns we went to (and we went to a lot). Only a couple of them could speak English and all of them looked seriously impoverished and very unwell. We also visited Kingston at Christmas and it was exactly the same.

Anyway there were, as I said, some really lovely things about Kingston and as with anywhere, what is right for some people is a definite no no for others.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:11 pm
mickj

I wonder if the way the people dressed, had anything to do with people thinking they were homeless They all didn't speak english

Interesting observations There are many people who call themselves canadian, that can't even string a sentence together, some immigrants have not bothered improving their english, they just kept on speaking the language they brought with them, even though they are in canada now, and a citizen.

Alfonso Gagliano sure proves that point from what i saw yesterday on the news about the sponsorship scandal. How he made it as ambassador to denmark beats me It just goes to show, that cronyism is rampant here in the canadian govt too :scared:

Last edited by mickj; Mar 19th 2004 at 10:51 pm.

Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Tiaribbon
Yes we went to see what the institute in Warkworth was like, but it didn't seem very big to me. I thought it only had about 600 or 700 folk there? I also thought it was just a medium security prison.
I stand corrected, Warkworth is indeed medium security, although it has the lovely nickname of the "pervs prison". By Ontario standards 6 or 700 is a big prison! but as you say, nothing to do with Kingston anyway.

Iain
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:58 pm
mickj

Kingston Area

thanks!

Just when you thought you have not been given enough info on kingston, another one comes alongs, its like waiting for the london buses

http://www.kingston-ontario.com/attractions_pge.htm

The 1000 island cruises is a must, if you haven't done it before, also i recommend the restaurant below, we are always in and out of there, its called the Patio Restaurant, and its on Ontario Street.

Make sure you go there yourself though with the family to get a feel of the whole place, and see if its for you. How about that for a building eh, its like being in Paris
Attached Thumbnails Kingston Area-downtown1.gif  

Last edited by mickj; Mar 19th 2004 at 7:01 pm.

Old Mar 20th 2004, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

theDIV is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the infor guys - a great help. Sounds like Kingston is an OK place - can we open the discussion up a bit though?

Can anyone recommend any other towns in Ontario of a similar size population (about 60,00 I think)? I looking to start up some form of business, so wouldnt want to move anywhere too small, but also want to avoid the big Cities.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:17 pm
mickj

Thanks for the infor guys - a great help. Sounds like Kingston is an OK place - can we open the discussion up a bit though?

Can anyone recommend any other towns in Ontario of a similar size population (about 60,00 I think)? I looking to start up some form of business, so wouldnt want to move anywhere too small, but also want to avoid the big Cities.

Hello there,

From what you have said there, you are better off sticking to the East of Toronto then, its not everyone's cup of tea for reasons that are sometimes obvious.

With the kind of population you are talking about there, you will be looking at these areas, some are even less than 60k :

Bath, Kingston, Belleville, Napanee, Brighton,Picton,Campbellford, Stirling, Cobourg, Trenton, Colborne, Warkworth, Deseronto, Wellington

Here is somewhere you might want to checkout during the summer

Attached Thumbnails Kingston Area-fhlogo03.gif  

Last edited by mickj; Mar 20th 2004 at 7:54 pm.

Old Mar 20th 2004, 6:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Can you tell us a bit more about what you are looking for? Although a bit smaller than 60k, I live in the Belleville / Trenton / Quinte area, a bit nearer TO than Kingston, and I like it here. Belleville has pop about 40k, and Trenton another 20k nearby, plus about 20 to 30k in the areas around.

Its a lot quieter than Kingston, as it lacks the Unis, but it ranks well for Quality of Life, property cost etc. As others will tell you, it wont suit everyone, but it suits me.

Good starting point is www.greatplacetolive.com, or PM me with any questions.

Iain
Old Mar 20th 2004, 6:36 pm
Premium Member

Belleville. Love it! Definitely worth a drive-by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.