Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The kindness of everyday Canadians

The kindness of everyday Canadians

Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:49 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The kindness of everyday Canadians

To cut a long story short, we are refurbing our basement area and decided to install underfloor heating....now, we always do most the refurb work ourselves to max out the profit margin on property, but were stumped for the underfloor heating....went to the store, bought the kit, guy offers to come show us how to do it, spends 4 hours with me to do first half of the floor, didn't want any cash for it, said it was a favour, that's 4 hours labour plus 1.5 hour travelling plus gas after working a 9 hour day...so we bunged him a wad and thanked him. I'm sure that wad plus more will be reciprocated off of future purchases.

Super cool. Maybe it's rose tinted shades, but this does seem to be really typical of peoples helpfulness, as I keep reading on here from time to time.

Rich.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:52 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The kindness of everyday Canadians

Originally Posted by Rich_007
To cut a long story short, we are refurbing our basement area and decided to install underfloor heating....now, we always do most the refurb work ourselves to max out the profit margin on property, but were stumped for the underfloor heating....went to the store, bought the kit, guy offers to come show us how to do it, spends 4 hours with me to do first half of the floor, didn't want any cash for it, said it was a favour, that's 4 hours labour plus 1.5 hour travelling plus gas after working a 9 hour day...so we bunged him a wad and thanked him. I'm sure that wad plus more will be reciprocated off of future purchases.

Super cool. Maybe it's rose tinted shades, but this does seem to be really typical of peoples helpfulness, as I keep reading on here from time to time.

Rich.
You don't think he did it to ensure your repeat business?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:04 am
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

I think the Canadians as a whole are more positive and friendly. I had a situation where I needed somewith with a truck to help me move asap. I called this company and usually they would do a minimum of 2 hours at $180 dollars and wouldn't usually do such short notice. But, not only did they change their plans to help me move, they said they'd only charge me an hour at $90. Then when it came to moving, it didn't take that long and the guy said I could just give him $40. I never asked to pay less or expected it (was actually expecting him to be chuffed he got $90 for such little work!) so I was really pleasantly surprised when I just ended up paying $40.

Other little things surprise me, like when I was wandering down the street in Vancouver with a map looking lost and people come up to help you find your way.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:00 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

What a top bloke. D'ya think he'd pop over here to help with our basement, there might be a twofour or 20ouncer in it for him

Some days I still just love Canada eh!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:31 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
You don't think he did it to ensure your repeat business?
You're having a laugh aren't you....my couple $k's worth of business is hardly going to make him a rich dude is it ? These flooring people haven't got enough hours in the day to get the work done, so I'm double amazed that he did what he did. Ever tried getting a tradesperson, let alone a favor from one ?

Rich.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a story about kindness too.

On our first trip to Calgary in 2003, we went to the Swiss Chalet for dinner one evening. The waitress came and took our order and then left.

A Canadian lady came up to us from the next table and apologised for disturbing us but she'd overheard our British accents. She said how much she loved the UK etc. and that her daughter was over in the UK with the air cadets on a trip. She asked us how we were liking Canada etc. and we explained that we were on vacation and were travelling to different places. Her hometown of Kamloops was on our list of places to stop off at! Anyway, she said she was really glad we'd come over to visit as the SARS scare was putting some people off travelling to Canada. She then got out two $5 notes and gave them to our son and daughter and said "Buy yourself something nice while you're here".

We were gobsmacked, nothing like this had ever happened to us before. Our kids obviously said thanks and were surprised as us. I thought that was such a kind thing for her to do, she didn't have to do it, but she gave us a very positive impression of the people there that's for sure
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

So similar to Tuesdays experience with the gas fire repair man here in Dumfries. We bought a new fireplace and coal effect fire last May from a local supplier, cost £2500 including fitting. The sparking thingy has never really worked properly so they came out to fix on Tuesday. Turns out that it was simply a loose bolt (which could only have been from the fitting). As it was only 7 days or so out of warranty they only charged me £95 for the 3 minute (and free coffee) job, AND they did need to travel nearly a whole mile there and back. What a bunch or stars eh....
Can't think why I've had enough of this place.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stuarty
So similar to Tuesdays experience with the gas fire repair man here in Dumfries. We bought a new fireplace and coal effect fire last May from a local supplier, cost £2500 including fitting. The sparking thingy has never really worked properly so they came out to fix on Tuesday. Turns out that it was simply a loose bolt (which could only have been from the fitting). As it was only 7 days or so out of warranty they only charged me £95 for the 3 minute (and free coffee) job, AND they did need to travel nearly a whole mile there and back. What a bunch or stars eh....
Can't think why I've had enough of this place.
My next door neighbour, here in the UK, is an engineer for a cable company that took a bit of a pasting here earlier. I had an issue last week, they said no engineers available til next wednesday. I knocked on my neighbours door to ask if he could help, he told me (in less polite terms) to "go forth and multiply" as he would not be paid for it, but if I gave him £100 he would look at it. I declined.

Engineer came on wednesday, it was my neighbour, he changed a lead and left!

With such good neigbours I wonder why I hate this country!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:44 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Super cool. Maybe it's rose tinted shades
Could be or could be that under-floor-heating-kit guy wuz just lookin' fer an oppertunidee to grab yer harrrd moun'in bikin' ass.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
My next door neighbour, here in the UK, is an engineer for a cable company that took a bit of a pasting here earlier. I had an issue last week, they said no engineers available til next wednesday. I knocked on my neighbours door to ask if he could help, he told me (in less polite terms) to "go forth and multiply" as he would not be paid for it, but if I gave him £100 he would look at it. I declined.

Engineer came on wednesday, it was my neighbour, he changed a lead and left!

With such good neigbours I wonder why I hate this country!
A bit harsh don't you think? He's probably in one of those jobs where everybody thinks they can get a favour off of him when they have a problem with their cable. Of course the reality is that Canada has it's fair share of not-so-nice people mixed in with the very nice people. It's pretty much like every where else really.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:13 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stepnek
He's probably in one of those jobs where everybody thinks they can get a favour off of him when they have a problem with their cable.
Agreed. My partner works in IT and he gets taken advantage of so much that he has started giving people his work number and telling them to call him during office hours. It probably seems a bit rude, but when people just take and take and take for years, you develop something of that mindset! (People never offer to pay, of course: they want it for free.)
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
Agreed. My partner works in IT and he gets taken advantage of so much that he has started giving people his work number and telling them to call him during office hours. It probably seems a bit rude, but when people just take and take and take for years, you develop something of that mindset! (People never offer to pay, of course: they want it for free.)
Couldnt agree more that people do take and take, this cable guy has taken many things off me in a neighbourly fashion during our 4 years living next door to each other, ive even look after his kids when he wants to go down the pub, had he not told me to F**k off i may have given him a few quid, but £100 is a bit extreme.

Its a shame when neighbours cannot help one another, some just take and never give back!

Last edited by dormy; Jun 16th 2006 at 3:49 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:31 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

You're having a laugh aren't you....my couple $k's worth of business is hardly going to make him a rich dude is it ? These flooring people haven't got enough hours in the day to get the work done, so I'm double amazed that he did what he did. Ever tried getting a tradesperson, let alone a favor from one ?

Rich.
No, serious. I just haven't yet met any tradepeople or any one else in B.C. whose gone out of there way to lend a hand without expecting anything in return. I did in the UK however. Guess I'm unlucky.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Rich, you'll have to let us know what company you were dealing with! Any company that takes the time to assist a customer in the manner that you've mentioned will get my business as well! Cheers!

We all see "bashing" threads, so it's nice to read comments about positive experiences here in Canada. Thanks Craftybanshee & H143 for contributing your stories.... enjoyed reading them!

Oggy
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:48 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an act of kindness.

We were supposed to move out of our rental at the end of May. Well our "new" house was really uninhabitable at that time.

The guy who was taking over our rental is from Sweden (hi Jens if you read this!!) and he was over here on a work permit alone, but his family and furniture are due out next week to join him.

When he was aware of our plight he said there'd be no problem with us staying at the place a bit longer. In the end we stayed until last Monday, 12th June. He even said that though he might have to move out of his current rental himself, he would happily move into a hotel until we could move as it'd be much easier for him on his own than us 4 plus dog plus all our things!

WHAT A NICE MAN. We will pay him 12 days of rent, but really he didn't even seem that bothered about that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.