Wikiposts

Kindle Fire

Old Dec 18th 2012, 7:56 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of
Default Kindle Fire

Has anyone brought a Kindle Fire from the UK to Canada, or is it more hassle than it's worth. Been reading about copyright issues, but still none the wiser
Old Dec 18th 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Fire

I haven't, but Kindles only seem to care about the address of the account they're registered to. So if you change your account to a Canadian address you'll probably be OK.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

am not sure about the tablet aspect - I expect that to work wherever you connect to the net, irrespective of where you are.

as for the book's content -it is more to do with what amazon site you have your kindle account set up on and where the payment is coming from.

we have a kindle which was registered on amazon.co.uk and our amazon account is still registered to a UK address (mainly becasue we never got around to changing it and also because there is a hell of a lot more kindle content on there). if we order books on amazon.co.uk they are delivered ok.

my FIL recently bougth a kindle as well and we suggested that he register on amazon.co.uk to take advantage of the choice of books but becasue his billing address / cardholder address was in Canada, it wouldn;t let him register his kindle there so he had to use amazon.com instead (and now transferred to .ca).

there is a way around this of course

check out the Calibre software that allows you to manage your e-book library yourself. you can get ebooks for your kindle from wherever you want as long as you can save them to your computer and then following a few simple steps you can then send them to your kindle yourself.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

I did consider the Kindle at one point, but recent news has highlighted that Kindle owners do not own the e-books purchased, and Amazon is within its rights to block access to e-books purchased via the Kindle.

http://www.thestar.com/living/techno...on-to-customer
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cyan
I did consider the Kindle at one point, but recent news has highlighted that Kindle owners do not own the e-books purchased, and Amazon is within its rights to block access to e-books purchased via the Kindle.

People buy e-books?

The trouble my wife and I have had with the kindle is because of the formats that the library here carries it makes it extremly tedious to borrow a book.

If you are planning on using a library in Canada for e-books check your local and see what formats their e-books come in because chances are they will be incompatible with the kindle.

It is possible to get any book on the kindle but it involves a process which is techinically illegal and tedious! I always get books through the library if possible and therefore I would rather buy the hardware that works with the system rather than against it.

In terms of international switching start buy reading this:

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/20...xtra-fee-save/
Old Dec 19th 2012, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

the kindle fire is a tablet, not just a reader...
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:32 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Kindle Fire

I'll probably register it in Canada when i get back, I was given the Kindle as a gift, and not even had a chance to sit and play with it yet.

Funny enough, someone gave me the calibre software the other day, and they tried to explain what it was

Thanks for reply

Originally Posted by jaminsk1
am not sure about the tablet aspect - I expect that to work wherever you connect to the net, irrespective of where you are.

as for the book's content -it is more to do with what amazon site you have your kindle account set up on and where the payment is coming from.

we have a kindle which was registered on amazon.co.uk and our amazon account is still registered to a UK address (mainly becasue we never got around to changing it and also because there is a hell of a lot more kindle content on there). if we order books on amazon.co.uk they are delivered ok.

my FIL recently bougth a kindle as well and we suggested that he register on amazon.co.uk to take advantage of the choice of books but becasue his billing address / cardholder address was in Canada, it wouldn;t let him register his kindle there so he had to use amazon.com instead (and now transferred to .ca).

there is a way around this of course

check out the Calibre software that allows you to manage your e-book library yourself. you can get ebooks for your kindle from wherever you want as long as you can save them to your computer and then following a few simple steps you can then send them to your kindle yourself.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:36 pm
Wellington NS

Cheers for the advice, Looks like I'll have to move with the times....what next, a mobile phone

Originally Posted by Cyan

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
People buy e-books?

The trouble my wife and I have had with the kindle is because of the formats that the library here carries it makes it extremly tedious to borrow a book.

If you are planning on using a library in Canada for e-books check your local and see what formats their e-books come in because chances are they will be incompatible with the kindle.

It is possible to get any book on the kindle but it involves a process which is techinically illegal and tedious! I always get books through the library if possible and therefore I would rather buy the hardware that works with the system rather than against it.

In terms of international switching start buy reading this:

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/20...xtra-fee-save/
Originally Posted by haggis88
the kindle fire is a tablet, not just a reader...
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 10:29 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Two of the library services I know of are; Libraries On The Go and Library2Go.
They seem to be the same site but for different regions, and I'd guess other regions have the same type of service too.

Books are likely to be either ePub or PDF. ePub is going to be either DRM free - pretty much any eReader should be able to read these and I think Kindle can - or usually Adobe DRM. PDF will be DRM free or again using Adobe DRM.

I am fairly sure Kindle does not currently support Adobe DRM'd files, and I'm not sure of it's PDF support.

Most of the books I've seen on library services use Adobe DRM - you get an .acsm file, which you can then put on the device / eReader app, and then use your - free to create - adobe account and read the file.

Typically libraries recommend using the Overdrive application, which can handle Adobe DRM files, and I think there may be an Android app (pretty sure Kindle Fire is an android based tablet - not sure if it supports the Google Play store / or loading on apk files outside of the store framework) in which case you might be able to add that and use it to read. Obviously won't be using the Fire's native reading experience.

Sorry to derail the thread slightly with the above.