Credit Score

Old Dec 12th 2012, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of
Default Credit Score

We've been here 3.5 months now and have only just started looking for cell phones. We wanted contracts because of the international texting included in the packages. Steve had to have a credit check which obviously came back with nothing and therefore no phones. Also as I don't have a SIN I cannot get a credit check so Steve would have to apply for two phones.

My questions are -

Do you have to get a credit card here in order to build a rating or is there any other way?

Has anyone been able to use a UK credit history for things like phones?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 3:28 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Score

we got phones on contract with Rogers but we had to leave a deposit ( couple a hundred bucks i think) on our account for a year

To give them credit they refunded it without us even asking when the time was up
Old Dec 12th 2012, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

You dont need to provide a SIN number to get a credit check, nor can they insist that you do.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We got our first phones on contract with Rogers too with a deposit. The only way to build credit is to borrow money. We set up a secured credit card with our bank and got started that way.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

I didn't have to give a deposit, but they did put a credit limit on my account for a year or so. This was with Fido.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

I got one with virgin mobile. There is a $200 limit on my account, but i didn't have to pay a deposit or anything. I had only been here 3 weeks. When i opened up a bank account with RBC they gave me a CC with $1000 limit which i use monthly and pay off in full......so building up credit history.

As the others have stated, you don't need sin to have a credit check - i just needed id and proof of my address.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

BlueBerryPie is on a distinguished road

The problem is that eQuafax, or whatever the credit agency is, likely doesn't know/believe you exist until you file taxes. It's really frustrating. They are obliged to provide you with a free score (once a year). Quickest way to get on their system is to send (fax) with cover letter explaining your circumstance, with copies of your SIN, health care number, etc. Things with banks and government headed paper should suffice. Also, get secured credit card from your bank (you'll need a savings account) where they lock an amount in your savings that secures against your credit card. Rogers will issue you a phone. I did this and had to pay 100 buck deposit, which they then used to pay my bills about 1 year later. It's not easy.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:37 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

This credit score thing is a nightmare.

I've been here for 12 years. I have a bank account. I have a mortgage. I have RSPs. Rogers gave me a phone no probs. Most of the household bills are in my name.

But I've never asked for credit. I don't have a credit score. Not good. Not bad. I just don't have one.

This will soon be sorted and the bank will do me a good deal on the card and rate, even if they don't know it yet
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:24 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

They won't look at UK credit history for your phone contract (and vice versa in the UK). Generally it's a good idea to get a few credit cards and use them as charge cards to build your credit rating up.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Thanks all, interesting comments about the SIN number as they wouldn't even carry out a search without it!

I thought the credit card would be the route to take it's just a pain trying to get an appointment with the bank when our HSBC here now don't open Saturday's.

I was clutching at straws with the UK history, I thought that maybe Virgin would use it as they're a British company.

We're going in to the shop again tonight to see what they suggest.

thanks again x x
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shunter1977
Thanks all, interesting comments about the SIN number as they wouldn't even carry out a search without it!

I thought the credit card would be the route to take it's just a pain trying to get an appointment with the bank when our HSBC here now don't open Saturday's.

I was clutching at straws with the UK history, I thought that maybe Virgin would use it as they're a British company.

thanks again x x
Why not try a different provider? Was it virgin that would not give you a credit check?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

BlueBerryPie is on a distinguished road

When you do go bring you SIN with you, and when you sign up for whatever contract, that'll be associated with it. This will then be associated with your credit history in future. This will improve your credit standings for other things (i.e. paying regularly, on time and full amount etc). But be careful with it, if you ever miss a payment it'll be forever associated with that SIN number.

Originally Posted by shunter1977

thanks again x x
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:37 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

We found if we had a bank account we were ok. Fido gave us one sim, but after a phone call while we were in Best Buy they gave us 2 monthly contracts. Fido we very helpful in fact. We did not have any SSNs at that time.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:19 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by oicur0t
We found if we had a bank account we were ok. Fido gave us one sim, but after a phone call while we were in Best Buy they gave us 2 monthly contracts. Fido we very helpful in fact. We did not have any SSNs at that time.
Have to agree with oicur0t. Fido were so helpful to us. Being able to send unlimited picture messaging internationally, 1 gb data, unlimited calls to Canada for $57 a month we thought it was a great deal...
Old Dec 13th 2012, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
Have to agree with oicur0t. Fido were so helpful to us. Being able to send unlimited picture messaging internationally, 1 gb data, unlimited calls to Canada for $57 a month we thought it was a great deal...
Give fido a call they'll double your data to 2gb and reduce your monthly to $56pm, it's one of the best plans available everything except the data is unlimited, some of the other carriers are now offering similar plans but at $56 pm it's one of the best. I had my own unlocked iPhone so just signed the 30 day plan which is even better as no long 3 year lock ins.

Last edited by joinerboy; Dec 13th 2012 at 12:10 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.