Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kincardine/Grey-Bruce

Kincardine/Grey-Bruce

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Jimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really nice
Default Kincardine/Grey-Bruce

Hi everyone, thanks again for your help on Ottawa Valley.
Leading on from that thread, I'm keen to hear from anyone that's lived or worked either at or near the Bruce Power nuclear site at Tiverton.
I may gain employment with Bruce Power and wanted to know your impressions of the company and the surrounding area, including Kincardine.
As I also may have the chance of working for AECL at Chalk River, I'm trying to get an idea of which is going to be our best choice
It's probably gonna come down to visiting and doing interviews at both.
But a bit of background info would certainly help our dilemma.
We're leaning towards Pembroke near Chalk River.
But we haven't visited either area yet !
Thanks good people in advance.
Jimsan
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kincardine/Grey-Bruce

I've worked at the BNPD. It's bleak up there in the winter, very touristy in the summer.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Most people who work at Chalk River live in Deep River. Pembroke's a bit of a long drive in winter (~8 months/year ).

Amazingly, people seem to like living in Deep River even though it's tiny and miles from anywhere (except of course from Chalk River). This seems to be because the average education level among the inhabitants is sky high and there're an awful lot of activities/clubs etc organized within the community.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:10 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimsan
Hi everyone, thanks again for your help on Ottawa Valley.
Leading on from that thread, I'm keen to hear from anyone that's lived or worked either at or near the Bruce Power nuclear site at Tiverton.
I may gain employment with Bruce Power and wanted to know your impressions of the company and the surrounding area, including Kincardine.
As I also may have the chance of working for AECL at Chalk River, I'm trying to get an idea of which is going to be our best choice
It's probably gonna come down to visiting and doing interviews at both.
But a bit of background info would certainly help our dilemma.
We're leaning towards Pembroke near Chalk River.
But we haven't visited either area yet !
Thanks good people in advance.
Jimsan
I have friends living between Tiverton and Kincardine, one of whom works at the plant. I rarely have trouble driving up to see them except when there's deep snow coming in from Lake Huron.

I definitely agree with dbd's assessment as well.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Chipchop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I just moved to the Grey Bruce area in Novemeber, my husband is working at Bruce Power. I was previously in the Vancouver area for a year so I was a wee bit worried about moving to Grey Bruce. we are living in an area called Southampton which I really like, the winter hasn't been too bad this year, a few storms where roads were closed. The towns in the area have most amenities and if you need something special it 's not too bad a drive to Toronto, Barrie or London. We live near the beach which is so lovely, I was working full-time as a nurse in Vancouver so I was worried I may get bored but I am finding lots to fill my day. My son is 10 and he has settled in really well, the community is really friendly and basically I really love it here so far, everyone tells me how gorgeous the summers are here, but I have loved the winter too.