Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Killing Mozzies at night in bedroom

Killing Mozzies at night in bedroom

Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Killing Mozzies at night in bedroom

I have heard of the mozzies in Canada and was wondering if this is a country wide problem or is it only in certain areas the problem is bad.

We're looking at going to PEI so would anyone know if they have a major problem there.

We initaily looked at Winnipeg but was told they have serious mozzies there for quite a few months of the year.

Saying that if you have been to the Scottish highlands climbing or walking in the evening or early morning the midges there are like flying fists absolute Killers.

Any info on PEI killer mozzies would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

It doesn't really sound like mosquitos to me. Lets face it, if you were bitten 18 times last night, I am sure you would have seen them or atleast heard them. Mosquitos are bothered about where they bite you so if you were bitten on the ankles then it sounds to me like fleas or noseeums. Perhaps the fleas are there from the last owners, if they had pets it could very well be that the fleas are looking for a new host! You! If it is noseeums well that is why they are called that....they do bite good and are very itchy. Can't be black flies cause they aren't out at night. Maybe you better invest in a flea collar!!!
LOL
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:52 am
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Saying that if you have been to the Scottish highlands climbing or walking in the evening or early morning the midges there are like flying fists absolute Killers.
Canadian mozzies will eat those up and spit them out for breakfast, they have nothing on the North American Variant.

Dont know about PEI, but Ive a feeling the only place you are likely to be free of them is West of the Rockies? Larger urban areas tend to be mostly free of them anyway, but out in the woods they can be a nightmare.

If there are screens on the windows, then there is a mosquito season. But like anything else, you get used to them and its not a reason in itself to avoid an area I suppose.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 12th 2007 at 2:19 am.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:58 am
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by beginner
Hi cb
On a recce trip to N.B. last july ,we went to view a house in sussex &they had a propane gas mossie killer which kept mosquitoes away for up to an acre around the house. It was about 70 yds from the house & the owner swore by it. It works by mimicking the CO2 that we breathe out ,she told us that she hadn't been bitten for ages. Not sure about the cost but must be worth looking at !!

Beginner
Sounds like a SkeeterVac

We have one, its works quite well, but they have a reputation for only working for a couple of years before they break down. They are also expensive to buy the supplies for, about $30 for 2 octenol bates, the same for the tackytraps, and It uses a cyclinder of propane every 3 weeks or so ($14), so its costing about $45-55 a month to run during the bug season. Thats after the $400 ish to buy. The advantage of the skeeter vac is there is no need to plug it in, so you can move it around the yard to the "hot spots" easily. You need to keep on top of the cleaning regime to get a longer life from them I think.

Its worth it I guess to reclaim the yard...when it works. Right now ours is not working and we are waiting on a replacement "motor"....another $150. This was its last hurrah, catching a million of the little buggers...after that I think it got clogged up and expired.

Avon are not going to say anything about the "bug repeling" nature of skin so soft, simply because they cant back it up with any clinical proof (all of which says its less efective than even low DEET formualtions). I think most of it is sold to people who buy it because of the rumours of repelency, so its not in their interest to dispell the myth, but they cant make false claims about it either, and dont want to confess that it only works for a short time.

As Liz said, sprung screen doors are essential with little kids coming and going, otherwise the door is left open and you have a house full of unwanted hungry guests.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 12th 2007 at 2:34 am.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Canadian mozzies will eat those up and spit them out for breakfast, they have nothing on the North American Variant.

Dont know about PEI, but Ive a feeling the only place you are likely to be free of them is West of the Rockies? Larger urban areas tend to be mostly free of them anyway, but out in the woods they can be a nightmare.

If there are screens on the windows, then there is a mosquito season. But like anything else, you get used to them and its not a reason in itself to avoid an area I suppose.
Cheers Dude.

I don't get bit but the wife does.

We were in Venezuala last year in the Amazon I was sleeping in me Boxers and she was like an Egyptian mummy and still got bit.

Knowing my luck I'll be like one of the other posters who said it was the Canadian variety that only bit them :curse:
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:35 am
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

Its mozzies that get me at night for sure. I hate them.

I'll get something from HomeDepot for the house as I don't fancy being covered in DEET everynight. Although I will try trhat Avon product

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Are you sure its mozzies in your house? Could it be that you are being bitten outside
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:40 am
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by beginner
Hi cb
On a recce trip to N.B. last july ,we went to view a house in sussex &they had a propane gas mossie killer which kept mosquitoes away for up to an acre around the house. It was about 70 yds from the house & the owner swore by it. It works by mimicking the CO2 that we breathe out ,she told us that she hadn't been bitten for ages. Not sure about the cost but must be worth looking at !!

Beginner
Skeetervac's we've got one of those. Well worth the money as it does make a difference outside - I need something similar for indoors. All the fly sprays we looked at had warnings of don't spray it here, don't spray it there, vent room afterwards etc. I thought they must be well dodgy, I don't fancy sleeping with that in the air.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:00 am
Canadiain

Originally Posted by chinnybloke
Skeetervac's we've got one of those. Well worth the money as it does make a difference outside - I need something similar for indoors. All the fly sprays we looked at had warnings of don't spray it here, don't spray it there, vent room afterwards etc. I thought they must be well dodgy, I don't fancy sleeping with that in the air.
Id try a net first.

http://search.ebay.ca/mosquito-net_B...0QQsacatZ20444

What is with the Avon thing,.....it does not work , not under scientifically controlled trial circumstances anyway.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a SkeeterVac

We have one, its works quite well, but they have a reputation for only working for a couple of years before they break down.

Its worth it I guess to reclaim the yard...when it works. Right now ours is not working and we are waiting on a replacement "motor"....another $150.
I can only echo this. We have/had one that worked fantastically last year, but wouldn't start this season. Have since heard the same complaint from many people, and in fact have yet to hear of anyone who has a SkeeterVac or Mosquito Magnet that hasn't had reliability issues. They make a hell of a difference for a year or two, but are an expensive "disposable" solution. We've now bought a Mega Catch instead. It seems to be doing it's job, but we'll have to see how well that lasts over multiple mozzie seasons. At least there's no propane involved, as it's that area that seems to be the other's design weak spot. http://www.megacatch.com/

Ian...sorry...NOT Ian Would you interested in a good deal on 2 unopened boxes of tac traps, plus one box with one still in (total of 5 traps) and an single unopened bait block pack??

Last edited by AlexInBC; Jun 12th 2007 at 4:31 am. Reason: Added Mega Catch Link
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:37 am
Canadiain

Originally Posted by AlexInBC

Ian...sorry...NOT Ian Would you interested in a good deal on 2 unopened boxes of tac traps, plus one box with one still in (total of 5 traps) and an single unopened bait block pack??
Yes I would. I'll send you a PM or email or something.

Sounds like something is blocking the gas flow in yours if you cant light it.The engine comes apart fairly easily to fix that (Ive done this before easily enough) I can light mine and the lights flash and fan runs, but the catalytic converter is toast, no CO2 to attract them is my problem I suspect. Lots of white limey goo all over everything..you can see some on the basket in the picture. Found a lot of half fried earwigs inside. Yuk.

How does the Mega Trap do the CO2 thing? What else do you need to buy to keep it going?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I would. I'll send you a PM or email or something.

Sounds like something is blocking the gas flow in yours if you cant light it.The engine comes apart fairly easily to fix that (Ive done this before easily enough) I can light mine and the lights flash and fan runs, but the catalytic converter is toast, no CO2 to attract them is my problem I suspect. Lots of white limey goo all over everything..you can see some on the basket in the picture. Found a lot of half fried earwigs inside. Yuk.

How does the Mega Trap do the CO2 thing? What else do you need to buy to keep it going?
My husband got the Skeeter Vac going again briefly by doing just that. He cleaned everything he could get at by dismantling the engine assembly, but then our propane canister ran out. After refilling it the Skeeter Vac wouldn't re-light and nothing he tried would get it going again. Everything looked clear and the ignition spark was good and strong, but I guess something was out in the gas/air mix. Ours was only the basic SV-15 so it wasn't worth buying any replacement parts.

It's only the Ultra model of the Mega Catch that gives out CO2:
http://www.megacatch.com/ultra.html . It comes with a refillable CO2 canister, but I don't know if refills are as readily available as for propane? We're on a tight budget so went for the Premier instead. We got ours for $299 from Canadian Tire, but I think they've put the price back up to $399 now. I think the Skeeter Vac was a bit more effective (when it was working!) but this does still catch a good number.

I'll reply to you PM now
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:09 am
frothing loon mk 2

hamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
My husband got the Skeeter Vac going again briefly by doing just that. He cleaned everything he could get at by dismantling the engine assembly, but then our propane canister ran out. After refilling it the Skeeter Vac wouldn't re-light and nothing he tried would get it going again. Everything looked clear and the ignition spark was good and strong, but I guess something was out in the gas/air mix. Ours was only the basic SV-15 so it wasn't worth buying any replacement parts.

It's only the Ultra model of the Mega Catch that gives out CO2:
http://www.megacatch.com/ultra.html . It comes with a refillable CO2 canister, but I don't know if refills are as readily available as for propane? We're on a tight budget so went for the Premier instead. We got ours for $299 from Canadian Tire, but I think they've put the price back up to $399 now. I think the Skeeter Vac was a bit more effective (when it was working!) but this does still catch a good number.

I'll reply to you PM now
when the skeeter vac packs up, why not try filling the canister with avon thingy and maybe pessure it up a bit.that ll sort the buggers
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Found the avon spray

here

You can buy it on line

Gay
x
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Eating garlic in foods also keeps mozzies away (everyone else also), you sweat it out through your pours and they don't like the strong smell. My hubby tried this when fishing and it did work. You could try the garlic tablets.

If you don't want to walk round stinking of garlic and repelling everyone else, I read last year when my mum went to the Gambia that if you take yeast tablets(brewers yeast) or vitmin B2 on a daily basis, this also repels the little buggers but takes a few weeks to work. Mum said that this worked and she didn't have a bite on her.

Also you can but citronella oil, dilute it and spread it on your body, this also prevents them and can be sprayed round windows and doors and used in an atomiser.

These are all natural if you are worried about overusing chemicals.

Sharon
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
If you don't want to walk round stinking of garlic and repelling everyone else, I read last year when my mum went to the Gambia that if you take yeast tablets(brewers yeast) or vitmin B2 on a daily basis, this also repels the little buggers but takes a few weeks to work. Mum said that this worked and she didn't have a bite on her.
Maybe covering yourself in beer or Marmite would also work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.