Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kids and Study Permits

Kids and Study Permits

Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:13 am
Just Joined

paddyirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kids and Study Permits

Hi could any one give me advice about Kids age 15 and 11 who's parents are on a temp work permit, do we need to apply for study permits before we arrive, or can we do that once we have arrived in Canada.
How long does it usually take?
Thanks
Michelle
Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:36 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Kids and Study Permits

I think you can apply once there but it is a quicker process if you do it through your visa office.
When we applied for my work permit, we were oblivious to study permits and a nice Canadian phoned us to ask if we wanted them for our 2 boys!
They should get processed within 2 weeks (London).

Cheers
Darren and Sarah

Originally Posted by paddyirish
Hi could any one give me advice about Kids age 15 and 11 who's parents are on a temp work permit, do we need to apply for study permits before we arrive, or can we do that once we have arrived in Canada.
Thanks
Michelle
Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scimdarren
I think you can apply once there but it is a quicker process if you do it through your visa office.
When we applied for my work permit, we were oblivious to study permits and a nice Canadian phoned us to ask if we wanted them for our 2 boys!
They should get processed within 2 weeks (London).

Cheers
Darren and Sarah

Thanks for that i'm not sure if we have enough time to sort that out before we go, so we may just have to wait till we arrive. At least if we can apply from Canada its not that big a worry especially if it only takes a few weeks.
thanks
Michelle
Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:52 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Right, if your time frame is very soon at least you have the summer vacation to wait for them to be processed, our friends from Canada say there children have just began their 70 day break!

Cheers

Darren

Thanks for that i'm not sure if we have enough time to sort that out before we go, so we may just have to wait till we arrive. At least if we can apply from Canada its not that big a worry especially if it only takes a few weeks.
thanks
Michelle
Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:39 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Michelle
Hi Michelle
We arrived on a tuesday and our 8yr old son started school on the Thursday, we just took him along to the local school and enrolled him, no questions were asked or shown for a study permit, citizenship, residency etc etc so i'm not sure if you need a study permit.
I would like some advice as to wether i am doing the right thing or not
Old Jul 13th 2005, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
Hi Michelle
We arrived on a tuesday and our 8yr old son started school on the Thursday, we just took him along to the local school and enrolled him, no questions were asked or shown for a study permit, citizenship, residency etc etc so i'm not sure if you need a study permit.
I would like some advice as to wether i am doing the right thing or not

Hello there thanks for the reply, i'm convinced that we have to have study permits for the girls, after reading it somewhere, i'm not sure how much they cost i didnt realise that we could have applied for them with my husbands work permit.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 3:01 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Hello there thanks for the reply, i'm convinced that we have to have study permits for the girls, after reading it somewhere, i'm not sure how much they cost i didnt realise that we could have applied for them with my husbands work permit.
It seems to depend on which Province you are going to. I needed one for my 8 year old daughter when I moved here in December. Her permit took less than a week to arrive from the date of mailing in England. They were so quick with it. I don't know of anyone who applied for a Study Permit from within Canada so don't know whether it is possible or how long it takes via this route.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:30 am
Just Joined

coffee ice cream is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, are your children coming with you with visitor visas? If yes, then I think that you have to apply for study permits, but I do not know if you have to do it before you leave. I have a feeling that once you arrive, you can go to the school board before school starts. Why don't you contact the school board in the area you are going to? I think you can even look into their web site and you might be able to find out the right answer.

Thanks
Michelle
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by coffee ice cream
Hi, are your children coming with you with visitor visas? If yes, then I think that you have to apply for study permits, but I do not know if you have to do it before you leave. I have a feeling that once you arrive, you can go to the school board before school starts. Why don't you contact the school board in the area you are going to? I think you can even look into their web site and you might be able to find out the right answer.

Thank you for all your replies, you'e given me some idea's and useful information
thanks
michelle
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a valid Work Permit, I don`t think you need to apply for satudy permit for both of your kids. If you declaired your kids as dependents and they have their visitors visa with validity same as yours, you just have to go to the School District Board responsible for your area. They will give you the details about the school where they should go and they will also issue letters of acceptance for both your kids that you have to submit to that school.

Hope this helps.

RW

Thanks
Michelle
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Redwings
If you have a valid Work Permit, I don`t think you need to apply for satudy permit for both of your kids. If you declaired your kids as dependents and they have their visitors visa with validity same as yours, you just have to go to the School District Board responsible for your area. They will give you the details about the school where they should go and they will also issue letters of acceptance for both your kids that you have to submit to that school.

Hope this helps.

RW
Cheers for that
Thankyou, i was just in the process of filling out forms online, i think i'll wait till we arrive and see.
thanks
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

stephenbottcher is an unknown quantity at this point

I second scimdarren. We were called and asked whether we wanted the study permits for our sons (13/17, both for Highschool). We said yes, sent a cheque to the CIC in London (without any sort of application, just the money!) and the study permits came with the work permit.
In Ontario, you need a study permit when you enrol (or latest when the school submits their numbers to the higher authorities) and I am sure that applies to all of the provinces. But you can do it from within Canada, of course.

Stephen

Thanks
Michelle
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point

I don`t think so...

When I first came to Canada, the CIC required me to get study permits for my two kids before they can go to school in Canada. We even applied for extentions after a year when it expired.

Then there was a change of CIC on study permits for minor dependents (below 18yrs) of foreign workers in Canada. My lawyer and the CIC informed me that it is not anymore necessary to get study permits for my kids who were 13 and 16 at that time. Since then, my kids went to school in Ontario with just visitors visa and just renewed them when we moved to BC. Didn`t have any problem. Of course you can get the Study Permit if you wish but you`ll need to pay the fees.

The kids can just come to Canada and just go to the school board and show their visas. Few of my colleagues did the same too.

Maybe the CIC changed it again but I doubt it.

In Ontario, you need a study permit when you enrol (or latest when the school submits their numbers to the higher authorities) and I am sure that applies to all of the provinces. But you can do it from within Canada, of course.

Stephen[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Redwings; Jul 15th 2005 at 7:53 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:07 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephenbottcher
I second scimdarren. We were called and asked whether we wanted the study permits for our sons (13/17, both for Highschool). We said yes, sent a cheque to the CIC in London (without any sort of application, just the money!) and the study permits came with the work permit.

Stephen
Hi Stephen, It's not like me to argue but i enrolled my boy (8yrs old) and i didn't have to show a study permit, this was in Nova Scotia, we just took him along to the local school and they accepted him with no questions asked. This was 10 weeks ago when we arrived, if anything was amiss i think they would have been in touch by now ???
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
Hi Stephen, It's not like me to argue but i enrolled my boy (8yrs old) and i didn't have to show a study permit, this was in Nova Scotia, we just took him along to the local school and they accepted him with no questions asked. This was 10 weeks ago when we arrived, if anything was amiss i think they would have been in touch by now ???
Isn't one of you Canadian, i.e. your boy is too? I think the others are on work permits...but I might be wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.