Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kelowna whats the catch?

Kelowna whats the catch?

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kelowna whats the catch?

Just did a road trip for a few days to Kelowna from Calgary. Now I love Calgary but we thought we were abroad in Kelowna, fantastic weather, chilled out flip flop wearing locals, an outdoor lifestyle and surrounded by wine!!!!

So before we start looking any deeper is there a catch or was it just an over reaction to finally breaking away from a long harsh Calgary winter?

I would be interested in peoples thoughts as it doesn't seem a common thread on the B/E pages.

No I didn't try the BC bud!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:07 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kelowna whats the catch?

No catch, Kelowna is great. Hot summers, mild winters, decent shopping, & chilled out people.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
No catch, Kelowna is great. Hot summers, mild winters, decent shopping, & chilled out people.

Personally I dont see any catch !! I agree with everything Danny B just said and more !!! However I am biased as I live here

However everybody is different and for some people Kelowna is not the place them ! You would need to hear from those people and get their opinions as to why not
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:22 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lamin
Just did a road trip for a few days to Kelowna from Calgary. Now I love Calgary but we thought we were abroad in Kelowna, fantastic weather, chilled out flip flop wearing locals, an outdoor lifestyle and surrounded by wine!!!!

So before we start looking any deeper is there a catch or was it just an over reaction to finally breaking away from a long harsh Calgary winter?

I would be interested in peoples thoughts as it doesn't seem a common thread on the B/E pages.

No I didn't try the BC bud!!!!
Harder to find work.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:08 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjwalker007
Personally I dont see any catch !! I agree with everything Danny B just said and more !!! However I am biased as I live here

However everybody is different and for some people Kelowna is not the place them ! You would need to hear from those people and get their opinions as to why not
And here I am...lol

Kelowna IS a great chilled out, relaxed place to live....if you have lots of cash. If you don't have pots of cash to buy that big house and the big car and the boat, atv etc etc it's not so great.

You have great swings of people with tons of cash to people with absolutely nothing in Kelowna. The house prices are crazy (though not sure if that bubble has burst now?) yet you all live relatively squeezed in to your neighbours.

It really all comes down to what you want and can afford - different strokes for different folks. If we all loved Kelowna then the house prices would be even more extreme than they already are...lol

This is obviously just my opinion, so if I have upset anyone - I apologise :0)
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:43 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Vast majority of work is in the service sector so finding decent paying work is a challenge.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mooredog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
And here I am...lol

Kelowna IS a great chilled out, relaxed place to live....if you have lots of cash. If you don't have pots of cash to buy that big house and the big car and the boat, atv etc etc it's not so great.

You have great swings of people with tons of cash to people with absolutely nothing in Kelowna. The house prices are crazy (though not sure if that bubble has burst now?) yet you all live relatively squeezed in to your neighbours.

It really all comes down to what you want and can afford - different strokes for different folks. If we all loved Kelowna then the house prices would be even more extreme than they already are...lol

This is obviously just my opinion, so if I have upset anyone - I apologise :0)
As previous posts mention it depends on what you do for employment, as for the house prices they have come down plenty and are still coming down now as I'm just waiting and watching before I buy my own house, We don't have a boat, RV or anATV and we absoloutly love it here, it's less expensive than Vancouver but I can't quote on the east coast, what it does lack is the big city shops and cosmopolitan life style but makes up for it in so many other ways, our short list was Victoria or Kelowna and Kelowna sneaked it due to the great seasons and the fact that the place is growing so fast and changing all the time where as if we ever change our minds Victoria will still be there as it is now.

Bring on the flip flops! and the fact that people from Van and Albertans flood here every year on holiday tels it's own story.

A bit long winded but I'm new on here.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:28 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Mooredog;7503380]
Bring on the flip flops! and the fact that people from Van and Albertans flood here every year on holiday tels it's own story.

QUOTE]

Clogging up Highway 97 with their shiney trucks and RV's....
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:57 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I love Kelowna. It's great for long weekends for sure and my friends LOVE living there with Big White during winter and the lake and wineries during the summer.

I personally wouldn't want to live there but i can see why many would.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:20 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

You have great swings of people with tons of cash to people with absolutely nothing in Kelowna.
For Kelowna read Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Victoria, Toronto, Montreal, London, Manchester, Birmingham, Edingburgh, Sydney, New York, Moscow, Paris, Vienna,...................

The house prices are crazy (though not sure if that bubble has burst now?) yet you all live relatively squeezed in to your neighbours.
They still are in Parts of Calgary, Edmonton, Van and Victoria.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:31 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Kelowna itself is just one long hideous strip mall. Other than that the area's absolutely fantastic - good weather, and loads of year round outdoor activities...

Definitely gets my vote over Calgary - if you can find work that is.....
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
For Kelowna read Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Victoria, Toronto, Montreal, London, Manchester, Birmingham, Edingburgh, Sydney, New York, Moscow, Paris, Vienna,...................

They still are in Parts of Calgary, Edmonton, Van and Victoria.
But I am not talking about those places...I am speaking about Kelowna.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Butch. You'd be hard pressed to find an area in the western world with a population in excess of 100k that doesn't have the great swings of the very rich to the very poor.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:59 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in discussions about a job in Vernon. How does that fare? Is Kelowna a commutable distance? I am currently in the UK and I need to decide if I wish to follow it up.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:02 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by oicur0t
I have been in discussions about a job in Vernon. How does that fare? Is Kelowna a commutable distance? I am currently in the UK and I need to decide if I wish to follow it up.
Yep totally commutable (in my opinion). Last time we drove it took us about 40 mins i think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.