Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kelowna, Ocanagan and Fredericton, NB

Kelowna, Ocanagan and Fredericton, NB

Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Grandma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kelowna, Ocanagan and Fredericton, NB

Hello, my daughter with her husband and their little girl have applied for PR in Canada (skilled worker I believe). Ideally, they are looking to move to Fredericton in New Brunswick, although finding employment is the first on their list of priorities, not the 'perfect' area. However, they will be going on a research trip in a few months time and my son-in-law only wants to visit Fredericton and meet there with as many potential employers as possible, so that they do not get distracted by too many options (area-wise).
My daughter seems to be in agreement, but I know how much she suffers from cold (she will never complain as she knows Canada is a good choice for her family), but I thought I'd do my own research, so I found Ocanagan Valley. The climate seems like something my daughter would really enjoy, and winter is much shorter than in the rest of the country. I wanted to ask those of you who have lived in one of those areas (or maybe even both) about major pros and cons of both places and how hard it would be to find a job for someone who is a systems operations manager for an Internet Service Provider (my son-in-low doesn't expect to find as high a position as he is in now, but realises his expertise lies with ISPs and his best chances are to continue in the same field).
With many thanks for any feedback,
Very worried Grandma
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all
Default Re: Kelowna, Ocanagan and Fredericton, NB

I have lived in Kelowna a beautiful place in deed. If you have lots of money. Housing costs I believe are the highest in Canada and 13th in the world. High unemployment is a draw back here as well, low wages another.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:36 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grandma
Hello, my daughter with her husband and their little girl have applied for PR in Canada (skilled worker I believe). Ideally, they are looking to move to Fredericton in New Brunswick, although finding employment is the first on their list of priorities, not the 'perfect' area. However, they will be going on a research trip in a few months time and my son-in-law only wants to visit Fredericton and meet there with as many potential employers as possible, so that they do not get distracted by too many options (area-wise).
My daughter seems to be in agreement, but I know how much she suffers from cold (she will never complain as she knows Canada is a good choice for her family), but I thought I'd do my own research, so I found Ocanagan Valley. The climate seems like something my daughter would really enjoy, and winter is much shorter than in the rest of the country. I wanted to ask those of you who have lived in one of those areas (or maybe even both) about major pros and cons of both places and how hard it would be to find a job for someone who is a systems operations manager for an Internet Service Provider (my son-in-low doesn't expect to find as high a position as he is in now, but realises his expertise lies with ISPs and his best chances are to continue in the same field).
With many thanks for any feedback,
Very worried Grandma
To secure work it is better to emphasize your general skills, because of the smaller population there are fewer jobs of the specific type. He should review his skills in general/operational and project maanagement rather than narrowing it down to Operations manager for ISP.

I am bias I believe Fredericton is a great place to live.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Grandma is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for your replies! It is a very good point to do more of a general management position search for my son-in-low, I passed it on to my daughter and she really liked it. Much appreciated!