Reload this Page >

Kelowna or Nova Scotia

Kelowna or Nova Scotia

Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough
Default Kelowna or Nova Scotia

Im off to both places next month.
I have arranged to see real estate in NS and also arranged to see Mike and Orla (UK2NS)
My main concern now is jobs and what we NEED to earn and more to the point is it possible to earn it.
My wife is in financial services and is well qualified in the UK, I know she will need to get her Canadian equivalent and Im willing to do anyting (well not quite anything but you know what I mean)
We need to earn $80,000+ (from my calculations)
Can anyone let me know if this sounds do-able?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kelowna or Nova Scotia

$80,000 between two people should be relatively easy to get.
You probably know already, but property is much more expensive in Kelowna than it is in NS.
Halifax is the financial/economic centre for atlantic Canada, so there might be more jobs there IMO.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Can't see $80k going the same distance in Kelowna as NS given different outgoings.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jericho
$80,000 between two people should be relatively easy to get.
You probably know already, but property is much more expensive in Kelowna than it is in NS.
Halifax is the financial/economic centre for atlantic Canada, so there might be more jobs there IMO.
Thanks for your reply, I think I could be a realtor the time ive spent on mls
I loved Kelowna so its to get past goign there but NS has lots of appeal, I guess time will tell.
The jobs I see on jobbank.ca are around $10-$12 an hour doing "anything"
I need to seek out some recruitment consultants when over.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tangram
Can't see $80k going the same distance in Kelowna as NS given different outgoings.
Apart from property what are difference in out goings are there?
eg Property I like in Kettle Valley $599 property im viewing (if stll available) in NS is $589.
I know you can buy much cheaper and I will be viewing different price ranges.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinm
Apart from property what are difference in out goings are there?
eg Property I like in Kettle Valley $599 property im viewing (if stll available) in NS is $589.
I know you can buy much cheaper and I will be viewing different price ranges.

A difference is that $589,000's worth of property in NS is going to be a bigger house than $589,000's worth in Kelowna so everything related to the house will be more. For example, I'd expect that much house in NS to imply a need for a snowblower and a lawn tractor. I don't think they have weather in Kelowna but, if they do, you'd not have a driveway and lawn to deal with.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:38 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I remember asking this very same question on here two years ago and got responses from people living in both areas. We have come to NS as you get so much more property for your money. Having said that, I have no idea as to what Kelowna is really like and the two places are probably worlds apart.

I think its great that you are able to check both areas out
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I remember asking this very same question on here two years ago and got responses from people living in both areas. We have come to NS as you get so much more property for your money. Having said that, I have no idea as to what Kelowna is really like and the two places are probably worlds apart.

I think its great that you are able to check both areas out
Hi Howefamily,

Where abouts did you decide to settle in NS and is it all you had hoped it would be?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:40 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinm
Hi Howefamily,

Where abouts did you decide to settle in NS and is it all you had hoped it would be?
I'm sure they're really happy right now as they are newbies and things are very fresh.

For me, NS has no soul I'm dying for a bit of life!

Not sure about BC, never been there.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

A $600K house in ns must be one hell of a nice property. You could get a nice lake front property for that and still have enough left for a lovely cottage as well.no idea about kewlona but must be nice.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:07 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I'm sure they're really happy right now as they are newbies and things are very fresh.

For me, NS has no soul I'm dying for a bit of life!

Not sure about BC, never been there.
I said exactly the same about Alberta to a Newfie on Monday, she agrees and goes home at the end of the month after three years of being in Alberta
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:08 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Kelowna and NS. They are polar opposites of each other. To compare the two is just not something you can do. You would need to visit both to see which one fits you and your family.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:14 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I have lived in Kelowna and NS. They are polar opposites of each other. To compare the two is just not something you can do. You would need to visit both to see which one fits you and your family.
Can you expand on that a bit? We are starting to research different areas and I keep being drawn to NS and NL mainly because of more house for your money and then I'm drawn to BC (Kelowna and Van Island) for the warmer winters.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:21 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Can you expand on that a bit? We are starting to research different areas and I keep being drawn to NS and NL mainly because of more house for your money and then I'm drawn to BC (Kelowna and Van Island) for the warmer winters.
There are many reasons to move to NL but cheap house prices are not neccessarily one of them these days. St. John's and surrounds is pretty expensive these days. Of course it's all relative & maybe it's still cheap compared to Red Deer.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Wouldn't it be better to move to place where you want to live and get the best house you can afford there rather than moving to somewhere just because you get a bigger property?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.