Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kelowna, the good, the bad and the ugly (but might still be good)!

Kelowna, the good, the bad and the ugly (but might still be good)!

Old Feb 19th 2016, 11:38 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kelowna, the good, the bad and the ugly (but might still be good)!

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Are you still taking your meds?
Probably too risky given all the booze,the only sure-fire way to keep him from running down my beloved home and native land is to keep a steady stream of Indian food blocking his mouth.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 11:46 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Probably too risky given all the booze,the only sure-fire way to keep him from running down my beloved home and native land is to keep a steady stream of Indian food blocking his mouth.

And shove in some seafood washed down with beer-hopefully that will quieten him down to at least a manageable state!
Old Feb 19th 2016, 11:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Are you still taking your meds?
You want to live in place that smells like a dead whale's fanny?

Old Feb 20th 2016, 12:17 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You want to live in place that smells like a dead whale's fanny?

https://shawglobalnews.files.wordpre...0&h=480&crop=1
Where is that... Trail?

This photo is Kelowna- not exactly a "whale's fanny"
Attached Thumbnails Kelowna, the good, the bad and the ugly (but might still be good)!-kelowna.jpg  
Old Feb 20th 2016, 12:21 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Where is that... Trail?

This photo is Kelowna- not exactly a "whale's fanny"
Kamloops. Kelowna seems quite nice but too far away from the ocean for me. I had enough of that living in Knoxville TN.

Last edited by Oink; Feb 20th 2016 at 12:24 am.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 12:33 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Oink
Kamloops. Kelowna seems quite nice but too far away from the ocean for me. I had enough of that living in Knoxville TN.
You can make anyplace look good or bad if you choose the right angle- another Kamloops photo

Knoxville doesn't look too shabby- what is that golden golf ball on a stick?
Attached Thumbnails Kelowna, the good, the bad and the ugly (but might still be good)!-kamloops.jpg  
Old Feb 20th 2016, 1:16 am

You can make anyplace look good or bad if you choose the right angle- another Kamloops photo

Knoxville doesn't look too shabby- what is that golden golf ball on a stick?
Its the Sunsphere. It was made for the 1982 World's Fair. Its a bit of a white elephant although I believe it is real gold dust that makes it that colour. It wasn't too bad from September to May after that it was a humid cesspool although the place did have some benefits.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 2:38 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Stay away from Kamloops - we are FULL.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, as it's getting closer now (we list the house at the end of this week) I am going to have questions

So, quick question, they (Government) just gave the 2016 budget to NL and it's horrendous, really bad for here. Is there a link to the BC budget, was there anything interesting in it?

Or was it just cuts, redundancies for Gov workers, screwed healthcare and a levy for every adult earning over $20K pays $900!?
Old Apr 20th 2016, 10:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

My impression of the area, speaking as a visitor:

It's a hell of a drive from anywhere and unlike Calgary it's not a big place.

Traffic seemed to be pretty bad, I wouldn't live in West Kelowna unless you can manage in West Kelowna. Plus West Kelowna seems to catch fire quite often.

I got the impression there have been a lot of houses built recently but there are a lot of areas where there are very few shops, e.g. south mission, so on that basis if I were moving there I'd want to be near Highway 97.

I didn't get the impression that the drive from Vernon to Kelowna was an easy drive either, seemed to be a lot of traffic.

Someone mentioned Rutland was a bit downmarket, didn't get that impression, bit too general of a comment I think. Some of the houses around Rutland seemed okay to me although in fairness I wasn't looking to buy one, but they're not all old. Definitely saw some newer ones.

I agree with Oink that it's too cold during the winter and too hot during the summer. Also, it's in a valley so it is overcast a lot of the time.

Personally if I was moving to BC I think I'd move to Victoria. More temperate than Kelowna and it doesn't rain all the time like Vancouver.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 11:08 pm
I need a walk

Your epithet seems to suit you to a T Steve

Midway from Calgary to Vancouver, easy pleasant drives out of Wintertime, easy flights out East/coast from very handy airport although why travel when we live where we do? There seems to be too many Calgarians visiting us. So something must appeal. Yeah- Calgary is a handy drive to..... the Rockies, yep, and....?

Traffic seemed to be pretty bad, I wouldn't live in West Kelowna unless you can manage in West Kelowna. Plus West Kelowna seems to catch fire quite often.

I don't live in Kelowna but am aware of the traffic, busy over the bridge in rushhour but I'm sure less busy than a lot of Calgary. Yes there is a risk of wild fire, I personally wouldn't live in West Kelowna but that is personal choice.

I got the impression there have been a lot of houses built recently but there are a lot of areas where there are very few shops, e.g. south mission, so on that basis if I were moving there I'd want to be near Highway 97.

Yes building has gone on just like anywhere else that is popular- too many Albertans seem drawn to the place as it is so pleasant to live here . I can't comment on shops- Kelowna residents on BE might like to reply

I didn't get the impression that the drive from Vernon to Kelowna was an easy drive either, seemed to be a lot of traffic.

Not true- duelled now all the way and unless there has been a crash, free running.

Someone mentioned Rutland was a bit downmarket, didn't get that impression, bit too general of a comment I think. Some of the houses around Rutland seemed okay to me although in fairness I wasn't looking to buy one, but they're not all old. Definitely saw some newer ones.

I can't comment on that as I have no idea

I agree with Oink that it's too cold during the winter and too hot during the summer. Also, it's in a valley so it is overcast a lot of the time.

Surely you know Oink by now not to take him too seriously?! Temps are certainly not too cold- warmer than Calgary- average Jan -7c versus -13c. Summers are indeed hot but humidity is low and the lakes cool you down. Never bothered by mozzies or other bugs. Again your fellow Albertans who visit in droves in the Summer can attest on that one. The wine also makes life bearable

Personally if I was moving to BC I think I'd move to Victoria. More temperate than Kelowna and it doesn't rain all the time like Vancouver.

Yes, I like Victoria too, I prefer here but that is personal taste it might be drier than Vancouver but it still rains too much for my liking.
Just my thoughts in reply

Last edited by Stinkypup; Apr 21st 2016 at 12:14 am.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 11:54 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Good Chinese buffet downtown.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 1:54 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Good Chinese buffet downtown.
What I'd like is a nice British Chinese Curry.

Like I used to get on the way back from a night at The Kings Arms in Brislington.

Old Apr 21st 2016, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

My impression of Calgary as a visitor was it is flat and rather boring after coming through the Rockies and having left behind lakes and mountains of the Okanagan. Lots of green fields with cows in and large subdivisions in between. Also seems a long drive to anywhere else that's worth visiting.

Nice big City with good shopping is a plus but too much traffic for a Kelowna dweller.

Current temps this week in Kelowna high 20's and winter here really isn't winter compared to many other Canadian Cities. Summers are hot but that's the whole point of Kelownafornia, bring your flip flops and your bong and chill under a tree with a homeless person. Better still bring your shopping cart with you too.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

I REALLY thank everyone for their comments and opinion, it's great and really helps me, but remember too, where we are moving from, we have lived in NL for 9 years, where there is nothing to do, no where to go, the Winter is brutal and there is not much Summer and a lot of rain drizzle and fog.

I'm not knocking the place, it has been good to us and the people are really nice, to the most part, but it is time to move on.

Still, moving to a place where it is not Winter for 5 months, with things to do and places to go in every direction, to me, moving to the Kelowna area, is like moving to Disney World!

When we did the recce trip last year, yes, a lot of it was on fire too, so we actually saw AL and BC through the smoke, still fell in love with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.