Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

keeping in touch

keeping in touch

Old Nov 15th 2006, 4:37 pm
young but determined

gertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nice
Default keeping in touch

hello. i have a friend who is soon to be moving to oz while i remain in the uk.

i was wondering how well other people have managed to stay in touch when they or their friends have immigrated.

thanks x

Last edited by Sue; Nov 16th 2006 at 2:11 am. Reason: Moved to Canada Forum.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: keeping in touch

Originally Posted by gertrudeyo
hello. i have a friend who is soon to be moving to oz while i remain in the uk.

i was wondering how well other people have managed to stay in touch when they or their friends have immigrated.

thanks x

I would say that I speak to my firend more than my family....

I know it's not the same as having a coffee together, but you get use to it.

If you both have computers it's even easier...you can use MSN...voice, video or just type!!!

Linda
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:07 pm
young but determined

gertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nicegertrudeyo is just really nice

have you planned or held any meet ups? the problem with that being the cost.

do you find its better to journey from oz to uk or bring them to you? both have benefits eg. uk to oz is a new experience and oz to uk could help anyone feeling homesick. i am not sure.

thanks. gert x
Old Nov 15th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

have you planned or held any meet ups? the problem with that being the cost.

do you find its better to journey from oz to uk or bring them to you? both have benefits eg. uk to oz is a new experience and oz to uk could help anyone feeling homesick. i am not sure.

thanks. gert x

My friend came to visit us last year, and hopes to come back next year.

I am sure we will go back to the UK some day.......but as it was us that moved, for the next few years I guess everyone can come on holiday to us and explore Canada.

This may be a silly question, but ....did you mean for this to be posted on the candian forum????

Linda
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

I speak to most of my freinds via MSN and video link, None of my friends have visited yet, however with FAmily, i speak to everyone Mum, Dad and Nana once a week on a sunday after Corrie. I also text my Mum every day.
with family visits we try and work it that I go one year to England, and they come the next to Canada.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

rich1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all i had a friend that moved to perth oz December last year i speak to him once a month at least i use skype though video talk quite good its the time difference thats a bummer its 11 am hear now and i think its about 7 pm there
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:02 am
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

We had friends move out to Canada in May, and have kept upto date with them with msn, with family my parents have MSN so I think I will make more of a point talking to them each day than I do now.... My sister well I could send her the odd text, but then I haven`t really spoke to her for the last 6 months ..

To be honest I think I will talk to family more, when I move out than I do now as i`m working my butt off to make as much money to move out with..
Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:04 pm
young but determined

not a silly question at all. i have tried asking this question on the australia forum but didnt really recieve much fo a reply and figured people in this section would have an opinion too.

thanks for replying!

get x
Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:30 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

not a silly question at all. i have tried asking this question on the australia forum but didnt really recieve much fo a reply and figured people in this section would have an opinion too.

thanks for replying!

get x
People in Oz must be too busy outside sunning themselves in the summer weather
Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

We have a UK telephone number from the city we used to live in that calls a regular phone here in Edmonton. That works well for our families & friends. They just dial a standard UK number (01524 xxxxxx) and get right through to us. Thankfully no-one has called in the middle of the night yet! We got them well trained on the 7 hour time differnce

Oh, the service is free by the way. It uses the Internet to pass the call, but if you set it up properly you can use it without the need for a computer. For us we have set it up with a dual cordless phone system, so although the computer & router are downstairs and the PC is switched off, the phone rings upstairs. In fact a call from the UK is currently in progress. The caller is using his mobile phone inclusive minutes, so it really is a zero charge call

We have calls going to & from the UK on this system about 5 days a week.

Rob
Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:56 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

My sister in Ireland has internet, and has signed up to Skype. Haven't tried it out yet, it would help if both of us had headphones!