Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Keeping livestock on private land.

Wikiposts

Keeping livestock on private land.

Old May 21st 2011, 11:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping livestock on private land.

Originally Posted by JamesM
I'd reach out to DBD33. He has kept numerous animals at his property during the time I have been posting on this forum.
As best I recall, dogs, cats, aquarium fish, chickens, horses, and a donkey. I'm certain that I'm not done with chickens or horses. Where you can keep them though depends, as mentioned repeatedly, on local laws. The site of the donkey keeping was far enough into the country that anything vaguely "agricultural" was a grandfathered use of the land. There's some movement toward making chickens acceptable in cities, I believe North York allows a single lonely chicken, but I can't see horses coming to urban Canada anywhen soon.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Kydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud of

Out of all the dbd menagerie the chickens interest me only. The next problem I have (I don't seem to have thought this through very well) is where do I get 2 or more live chickens? I can hardly breeze into Loblaws and ask if they have any live chickens in the back, wink wink nudge nudge. Is there a chickens r us or can you get them from any of the chains of pet shops here?
Old May 21st 2011, 1:02 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Bet you'd find some on Kijiji.

Only a year or so ago Dbd was donating some for the cause
Old May 21st 2011, 1:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kydney_Stone
Out of all the dbd menagerie the chickens interest me only. The next problem I have (I don't seem to have thought this through very well) is where do I get 2 or more live chickens? I can hardly breeze into Loblaws and ask if they have any live chickens in the back, wink wink nudge nudge. Is there a chickens r us or can you get them from any of the chains of pet shops here?
Typically one order chicks from the feedmill, they keep all the common breeds, RIRs, ISA Browns and so on. TSC also take orders for chicks. Generally they're a buck or a buck fifty and 90% survive. If you want less routine chickens then there's a breeder near IainK, I went there for the chicks (fifteen or twenty exotic types) and when it came time to dispose of the hens, people came from a radius of fifty miles to pay me $20 a chicken.
Old May 21st 2011, 1:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Oh the irony in that phrasing.
Old May 21st 2011, 2:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried to resist doing this, but if you're going to use flowery prose, please make an effort to get your grammar right.

"Out of the dbd menagerie, only the chickens interest me"
Old May 21st 2011, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Kydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've tried to resist doing this, but if you're going to use flowery prose, please make an effort to get your grammar right.

"Out of the dbd menagerie, only the chickens interest me"
Thank you for pointing out a very obvious error.
Old May 21st 2011, 7:13 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Bet you'd find some on Kijiji.

Try craigslist as well.
There were some llamas for sale on there recently for $50 each. That's got to be a bargain, surely?
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Typically one order chicks from the feedmill, they keep all the common breeds, RIRs, ISA Browns and so on. TSC also take orders for chicks. Generally they're a buck or a buck fifty and 90% survive. If you want less routine chickens then there's a breeder near IainK, I went there for the chicks (fifteen or twenty exotic types) and when it came time to dispose of the hens, people came from a radius of fifty miles to pay me $20 a chicken.
Good information thanks, I'm going to be looking into this today. As always what you think may be a simple task turns complicated in no time.
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helcat12
Try craigslist as well.
There were some llamas for sale on there recently for $50 each. That's got to be a bargain, surely?
LLamas... hmmm...
Do they lay eggs?
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

Good information thanks, I'm going to be looking into this today. As always what you think may be a simple task turns complicated in no time.
I'd stop short of calling buying chicks "complicated" but you've missed the boat for this year, they were on sale about a month ago.
Old May 22nd 2011, 10:24 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

LLamas... hmmm...
Do they lay eggs?
No, but they are going cheap!

Sorry about that, it just slipped out!
Anyway, you can rent them out for Llama trekking, which would make money and spin wool from their coats to make hippy ponchos.
It would also be much more interesting at parties to say you are a "Llama farmer" than just a plain old chicken farmer.
Old May 22nd 2011, 12:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I shot my load here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633400