Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Keeping livestock on private land.

Keeping livestock on private land.

Old May 20th 2011, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Kydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud of
Default Keeping livestock on private land.

While making an extensive and protracted journey across the Philippines last Wednesday afternoon, I came across a young Chinese chap by the name of Mee Lung. He spoke very good English, which is a good idea when conversing with me as I cannot understand any of the Chinese languages at all. Although saying that I have learned a few words of Manderin and Wu during that afternoon while resting on a log.

Mee told me he had travelled from Haikou in China to Luzon in order to make his fortune in the Banana trade. Unfortunately he had been waylaid by a filipino princess who had been made pregnant by him and was demanding marriage along with 13 large golden coins, which is customary in those parts apparently. He couldn't afford it so ran away, ended up a pauper eking out a living in the jungle.

So, he beckoned me to a clearing in some undergrowth, and I duly followed. Right in the centre of the clearing was an old rusty world war two Japanese tank. A very small one used I guess for light reconnaissance missions and infantry support. No point in having large groups of heavy tanks in a jungle setting, not practical at all. Anyway, Mee Lung took the lead and I trailed after him. He climbed up to the the tiny turret and opened the lid, which whined and groaned at it's hinges, hinting at the years of jungle neglect.

I clambered awkwardly onto the broken bogey wheel assembly and did a neat flip up onto the turret area. I could hear very stange noises emin-em-ating from inside. He pointed down into the turret, presumably for me to see whatever it was in there. I carefully put my head over the opening and peered inside. "CHICKENS!!" I shouted, as if I'd never seen one before. "WTF (Why the Frig) are you keeping chickens in a tank?!"

"It is dark in there, just right for them to lay eggs" he answered. Well, knock me down with a large green rubber leaf...

So, should have got to the point at the start I guess, what I want to know is, can one, is one allowed to keep chickens in one's back yard in Canada? Or does it come under some 'foody rule' that prevents one? I have a bit of spare land to use up and I've fed up with paying grocery prices. Can one keep any farm livestock in the backyard without any sort of license?
Old May 20th 2011, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping livestock on private land.

Originally Posted by Kydney_Stone
While making an extensive and protracted journey across the Philippines last Wednesday afternoon, I came across a young Chinese chap by the name of Mee Lung. He spoke very good English, which is a good idea when conversing with me as I cannot understand any of the Chinese languages at all. Although saying that I have learned a few words of Manderin and Wu during that afternoon while resting on a log.

Mee told me he had travelled from Haikou in China to Luzon in order to make his fortune in the Banana trade. Unfortunately he had been waylaid by a filipino princess who had been made pregnant by him and was demanding marriage along with 13 large golden coins, which is customary in those parts apparently. He couldn't afford it so ran away, ended up a pauper eking out a living in the jungle.

So, he beckoned me to a clearing in some undergrowth, and I duly followed. Right in the centre of the clearing was an old rusty world war two Japanese tank. A very small one used I guess for light reconnaissance missions and infantry support. No point in having large groups of heavy tanks in a jungle setting, not practical at all. Anyway, Mee Lung took the lead and I trailed after him. He climbed up to the the tiny turret and opened the lid, which whined and groaned at it's hinges, hinting at the years of jungle neglect.

I clambered awkwardly onto the broken bogey wheel assembly and did a neat flip up onto the turret area. I could hear very stange noises emin-em-ating from inside. He pointed down into the turret, presumably for me to see whatever it was in there. I carefully put my head over the opening and peered inside. "CHICKENS!!" I shouted, as if I'd never seen one before. "WTF (Why the Frig) are you keeping chickens in a tank?!"

"It is dark in there, just right for them to lay eggs" he answered. Well, knock me down with a large green rubber leaf...

So, should have got to the point at the start I guess, what I want to know is, can one, is one allowed to keep chickens in one's back yard in Canada? Or does it come under some 'foody rule' that prevents one? I have a bit of spare land to use up and I've fed up with paying grocery prices. Can one keep any farm livestock in the backyard without any sort of license?
Depends upon the rules of the municipality in which one lives. For instance,
they are not allowed in Calgary.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Kydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Depends upon the rules of the municipality in which one lives. For instance,
they are not allowed in Calgary.
Ah yes, the provincial problem too. I bet this gets ever more complex.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, the provincial problem too. I bet this gets ever more complex.
Not Provincial, municipal. Not allowed in Calgary, but I would be amazed if they are not allowed 100 metres outside of the City limits
Old May 20th 2011, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Not Provincial, municipal. Not allowed in Calgary, but I would be amazed if they are not allowed 100 metres outside of the City limits
Well I'm well out in the country, well I was till the developers came. Maybe I should just do it and hang the consequences. Maybe the consequence is a hanging?
Old May 20th 2011, 3:37 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Check zoning + bylaws on your municipal website, or just call them. Unless where you live isn't incorporated, then you can do what you like anyways.
Old May 20th 2011, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Check zoning + bylaws on your municipal website, or just call them. Unless where you live isn't incorporated, then you can do what you like anyways.
This is sounding better by the moment.
Old May 21st 2011, 3:03 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, does this mean I can't keep a chicken in NB? The snow bit had worried me, but I had thought of sorting something out. I've only ever had Light Sussex chickens, and only three egg laying girls, no warbling boys. I have planned to bring my eglu with me - not the chickens though - even the smallest UK gardens can support a couple of chickens, and every neighbour here in France has heaps, or maybe flocks!
Old May 21st 2011, 4:29 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Gosh, does this mean I can't keep a chicken in NB? The snow bit had worried me, but I had thought of sorting something out. I've only ever had Light Sussex chickens, and only three egg laying girls, no warbling boys. I have planned to bring my eglu with me - not the chickens though - even the smallest UK gardens can support a couple of chickens, and every neighbour here in France has heaps, or maybe flocks!
Depends on the By Laws and/or Convenants where you live.
Old May 21st 2011, 4:49 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Depends on the By Laws and/or Convenants where you live.
Apparently we aren't allowed to keep bees where I live.
Old May 21st 2011, 6:53 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'd reach out to DBD33. He has kept numerous animals at his property during the time I have been posting on this forum.
Old May 21st 2011, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

You can't keep chickens or any other sort of livestock within Calgary city limits... just outside the city limits is fine though.

It all depends on where you live as to what you can do with your land...
Old May 21st 2011, 8:41 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Apparently we aren't allowed to keep bees where I live.
That's odd they're asking peopple to foster bumble bees here in Calgary.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-adoption.html
Old May 21st 2011, 10:32 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Within the City of Calgary, pigeon fancying is allowed apparently:

LIVESTOCK

27. No person shall keep Livestock in any area of the City except where the keeping
of Livestock is allowed under The City of Calgary Land Use Bylaw.

27.1 Any person who keeps pigeons, is a member in good standing of either the
Canadian Racing Pigeon Club or the Canadian Pigeon Fanciers Association, and
whose birds are banded with a seamless Club or Association band on their leg is exempt from Section 27.
Old May 21st 2011, 10:50 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone seen this. These people animals but that be an insult to animals.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...ted-mistreated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.