Kanata

Old May 27th 2009, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice
Default Re: Kanata

You will survive the winter if you embrace it, people usually fall in two camps, ones that ski/ board, Cross country ski, skate, snowshoe and enjoy the snow, and other that whine about it and stay indoors for months! What I don't get is the locals that have been here forever complaining about it - why not move to Florida!

I'm looking forward to 21st June as the nights will be getting shorter and the snow season is getting closer
Old May 27th 2009, 6:52 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by XCMTBer
I'm looking forward to 21st June as the nights will be getting shorter and the snow season is getting closer
Shut up. I'm warning you.
Old May 27th 2009, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Would anyone recommend Ottawa over Toronto?

(ducks as the replies start flying....)
Old May 27th 2009, 6:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie

Not for a young person no. For an older person wanting a lot of land commutably close to work then it has merit.
Old May 27th 2009, 7:07 pm

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Kanata

Originally Posted by dpickles
Hi,
I am new to this forum. We have permanent resident cards and are currently renting in the UK but have our hearts set on a new life for our family in Kanata. We have 3 children, 6,7 and 17 and would love to hear from anyone regards moving and living in Kanata. My husband works for the defense industry and my eldest son works for an insurance company. We visited Nova Scotia last year to pick up our permanent residence cards and although beautiful we found it very different to our current lifestyle. My husband is a frequent traveler and has first hand experience on the whole Canadian lifestyle. We are hoping that Kanata has more to offer regards employment, entertainment,shopping etc. We are lucky to have friends in Gatineau and Barrhaven, but it would be invaluable to hear from Canadians and Brits living and breathing the Kanata way of life. How bad are the winters. we are sociable people and the thought of being snowed in for months is a major downer. I am keen to receive any honest feedback so that I can gain a greater insite!
Thanks Deb

hi ,we lived in kanata for a year....made many good friends...nice people,nice countryside,big very cheap housing with big lots,good schools....our kids are very sporty and plenty of clubs etc to join....winters cold,but bright skies..hot humid summers,but with air con and a pool it is great...fantastic thunderstorms,but make sure you have a good sump pump and back-up if living rurally..downside is skiing locally is poor..can't comment on work as we made a lifestyle move and didn't work but big in hi-tech in the area..we are now in west vancouver and the kids miss kanata alot...so who knows.......it is generally a good place with no real downsides........
Old May 27th 2009, 7:09 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie

Toronto has lots of concrete and plate glass. Some would see that as a plus.
Old May 27th 2009, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

dpickles is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Deb,

I'm another of the Brits in Kanata, well moved to Stittsville last month after 2 years in Kanata. Not a huge difference i'm now a 15km bike ride to work instead of 10km. I work right under a GD office...

If you search my posts it will give you an insight into life here. Yes it snow, but that's why I came here.

Overall a massive change in lifestyle (for the better) and very child friendly.

please ask if you have any detailed quesitons as its pretty hard to explain 2 and a bit years in Kanata!

Andy
Thanks Andy for the information it's much appreciated. Although I have read previous posts and researched heaps on the internet it's just nice to touch base with people that have made the move or live and breathe it. My husband travelled to Ottawa last week and visited Kanata so he has the heads up on me. Anyway, we are going to fly over in July to have a good look around , Beaverbrook looks like a possibility. Thought we'd also visit Barrhaven, Stittsville and Manitock out of interest. Just need to find a good hotel near Ottawa with an outdoor pool, so it's not just a reckie but a PR job on my eldest, how devious am I?
Deb
Old May 27th 2009, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by daisycutter
hi ,we lived in kanata for a year....made many good friends...nice people,nice countryside,big very cheap housing with big lots,good schools....our kids are very sporty and plenty of clubs etc to join....winters cold,but bright skies..hot humid summers,but with air con and a pool it is great...fantastic thunderstorms,but make sure you have a good sump pump and back-up if living rurally..downside is skiing locally is poor..can't comment on work as we made a lifestyle move and didn't work but big in hi-tech in the area..we are now in west vancouver and the kids miss kanata alot...so who knows.......it is generally a good place with no real downsides........
Thanks for the reply hadn't considered the need for air-conditioning, this is why it's great to get some constructive feedback. Just out of interest do you prefer the definite seasons of Ottawa area or the weather in Vancouver. I hope my husband doesn't read this because he'll think I am indecisive!
Deb
Old May 27th 2009, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Ahh Beaverbrook, then you open the whole newish house vs old house, as most of beaverbrook is quite old. I would go with a lot of advice given here that I didn't do for my own reasons and that's rent first. Get to know the areas, the locals and the inside track on the property round here.
Old May 27th 2009, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

When my hubby visited Ottawa last week he was told by a realtor that houses built in the 1950's could have damp basements? We will defo rent for a while to ascertain areas and property. I would like a house with a reasonable sized plot but I am no country girl so guess it might be a trade off.
Deb
Old May 27th 2009, 8:26 pm

Talking Re: Kanata

Thanks for the reply hadn't considered the need for air-conditioning, this is why it's great to get some constructive feedback. Just out of interest do you prefer the definite seasons of Ottawa area or the weather in Vancouver. I hope my husband doesn't read this because he'll think I am indecisive!
Deb
weather here in west van has been really good,hardly any rainy days and many dry sunny ones over last few weeks and a fairly dry winter........also had a good dumping of snow which meant my kids skied up at cypress mount ( 20 mins door to door) right into april......so weather here so far ( since last august ) has been great..hated the 'brown/grey' season after the snow went in ottawa...just miss our 4700sq ft and 3 acres.....now in a wooden shed costing $1.3m with a tiny garden,but has decent panoramic views across the ocean (if that's any consolation).............
Old May 27th 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

There is no shortage of types of houses here and if you rent for a bit you can take your time and work out what it is you want or need! Most people want a big plot, right up until you realize you will be a slave to the grass! It seems to grow like mad! So you will have some quality time with your lawnmower. It gets hot here so your water bill will pay for that one, and then there is the Kanata special! the Grubs, eating your lawn from below. Then the skunks and porcupines come at night and roll back your turf to eat the grubs.....
And this may be one reason why the new houses are on smaller plots round here, haft the year under snow and the over half having money thrown at them to make them look good!
This is stuff I learnt afterwards! There are many other "things" like this that differ between UK and Kanata houses, and a Realtor may not know what your base expectations are......
Old May 27th 2009, 8:34 pm

There is no shortage of types of houses here and if you rent for a bit you can take your time and work out what it is you want or need! Most people want a big plot, right up until you realize you will be a slave to the grass! It seems to grow like mad! So you will have some quality time with your lawnmower. It gets hot here so your water bill will pay for that one, and then there is the Kanata special! the Grubs, eating your lawn from below. Then the skunks and porcupines come at night and roll back your turf to eat the grubs.....
And this may be one reason why the new houses are on smaller plots round here, haft the year under snow and the over half having money thrown at them to make them look good!
This is stuff I learnt afterwards! There are many other "things" like this that differ between UK and Kanata houses, and a Realtor may not know what your base expectations are......

yeah,but the kids love the deer in the garden nearly everyday....especially in the summer when the youg ones come in .......cute !?
Old May 27th 2009, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Great post..honest. Must say that I have reached a point where although I love gardening and the thought of a garden, the reality is that you spend more time looking after it than enjoying it. Weather in the Uk is pants..nothing new there. I think for us as a family indoor space is a key but the great outdoors is really what it's all about.
We are going to bring our red setter dog with us. How hard is it to rent with a dog? I keep an immaculate house but most rentals I view on line say no pets allowed. We have sold in the UK and currently rent at huge premium, do you think that Kanata can accommodate our needs?
Also, my burning question that has yet to be answered is how badly do the winters effect people socially. I enjoy going out with my kids, hubby and mates my only concern is months where you are house bound...I am sure it's just an unfounded worry.
Deb
Old May 27th 2009, 8:46 pm

Great post..honest. Must say that I have reached a point where although I love gardening and the thought of a garden, the reality is that you spend more time looking after it than enjoying it. Weather in the Uk is pants..nothing new there. I think for us as a family indoor space is a key but the great outdoors is really what it's all about.
We are going to bring our red setter dog with us. How hard is it to rent with a dog? I keep an immaculate house but most rentals I view on line say no pets allowed. We have sold in the UK and currently rent at huge premium, do you think that Kanata can accommodate our needs?
Also, my burning question that has yet to be answered is how badly do the winters effect people socially. I enjoy going out with my kids, hubby and mates my only concern is months where you are house bound...I am sure it's just an unfounded worry.
Deb
winter didn't stop us doing anything.....kids are 8 & 11 and skiied,skated....took up hockey...........travelled allot but must ensure 4 wheel drive or 'good' snow tyres......the grind would be clearing the drive almost daily if you have to get out to go to work...although there are many contractors that do this for you for a few hundred bucks a season......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.