Reload this Page >

just wanna say hi..alberta here we come

just wanna say hi..alberta here we come

Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:46 am
Just Joined

groves3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default just wanna say hi..alberta here we come

Hi All

We are Darren and Kelly and our little boy Marshall.

My wife has a secured a job in Red Deer, Alberta..pending the usual paper chase with relative organizations.ie: CARNA and NMC. (Kelly registered nurse)
Once they have finished talking to each other, then its visa application time..so its all moving pretty quickly.

We are starting a fresh out there, don't really want to bother with moving furniture and all that stuff.
It will be our little boys first trip anywhere (he nearly two..and a bit of a handful)..so the flight over there does worry us a bit for him..anyone got any tips, experiences.

We've been to Canada on many a holiday..from Quebec to Vancouver and Canada has always been in our hearts.

This is a big step for us and are so looking forward to it..new lease of life for all of us.
I am so proud of Kelly, she has done a lot of leg work on this, with reference to the research into her job and the countless emails to the agency and CARNA/NMC.

So that us in brief..just want to say hi..and hope to chat to some of you soon!!

Darren
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just wanna say hi..alberta here we come

Originally Posted by groves3
Hi All

My wife has a secured a job in Red Deer, Alberta..pending the usual paper chase with relative organizations.ie: CARNA and NMC. (Kelly registered nurse)
Once they have finished talking to each other, then its visa application time..so its all moving pretty quickly.

We are starting a fresh out there, don't really want to bother with moving furniture and all that stuff.
It will be our little boys first trip anywhere (he nearly two..and a bit of a handful)..so the flight over there does worry us a bit for him..anyone got any tips, experiences.

We've been to Canada on many a holiday..from Quebec to Vancouver and Canada has always been in our hearts.

This is a big step for us and are so looking forward to it..new lease of life for all of us.
I am so proud of Kelly, she has done a lot of leg work on this, with reference to the research into her job and the countless emails to the agency and CARNA/NMC.

So that us in brief..just want to say hi..and hope to chat to some of you soon!!

Darren
Hi Darren and welcome to the forum.

Congrats to Kelly on securing the job, sounds as if you're right to be proud of her. Anything you need, just shout or look in the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page, loads of useful info in there about everything Canada related).

Good luck with it all.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Hi Darren & Kelly.
What a great first post and welcome to the site. Sounds like Kelly has done a great job and you have a right to be proud. Good luck with all the plans. Sam
Old Feb 4th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck and Congratulations to you and your family.
Tina
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Darren and Kelly and Marshall,

Welcome to BE. Congratulations too on the employment front. There are other Red Deer based folk on this forum so it might be that you can do a little networking on here that will help you with a bit of a support when you get across.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

I have been flying with mine since they were two, and I have found the following really useful:

VODKA.

No just joking: lots of snacks, small toys as opposed to anything major, like the matchbox car sets that you can get, they can bring hours of fun, lots of drawing stuff, small pots of play dough worked for us, small books, for variation. Kids love repetitive tasks and praise at that age, so anything that he can do over and over and get praised for may help too! I am strongly opposed to using any form of medicine for a child that doesn't need it, however, rather than them get beyond himself with tiredness - calpol bought at the Boots when you get through the gate might be worth a a thought. Definitely recommend taking the trip as a fun opportunity, and remember if people have a problem with your wee lad that's their problem not yours, kids are kids, and we were all one once, so don't get stressed out trying to keep him hushed all the time!

More importantly than anything, is a mum and dad who are stress free as possible, that certainly helps kids keep themselves calm!

All the best and I'll look forward to hearing how you get on....

Ms Miggins x
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins
I have been flying with mine since they were two, and I have found the following really useful:

VODKA.

No just joking: lots of snacks, small toys as opposed to anything major, like the matchbox car sets that you can get, they can bring hours of fun, lots of drawing stuff, small pots of play dough worked for us, small books, for variation. Kids love repetitive tasks and praise at that age, so anything that he can do over and over and get praised for may help too! I am strongly opposed to using any form of medicine for a child that doesn't need it, however, rather than them get beyond himself with tiredness - calpol bought at the Boots when you get through the gate might be worth a a thought. Definitely recommend taking the trip as a fun opportunity, and remember if people have a problem with your wee lad that's their problem not yours, kids are kids, and we were all one once, so don't get stressed out trying to keep him hushed all the time!

More importantly than anything, is a mum and dad who are stress free as possible, that certainly helps kids keep themselves calm!

All the best and I'll look forward to hearing how you get on....

Ms Miggins x
Hi Darren, Kelly and Marshall

Well done on securing employment and best wishes for the processes ahead.
I too have secured a job in Red Deer Regional Hospital.
Kev and I made a trip over two weeks ago and liked what we saw. See our other posts.
Which area of nursing will you be employed? I am employed for ICU.
I have my med booked for next Thursday.

If we can help with any info please ask. We are by no means experts but, can only go on our experiences so far.

Well done again
Mandy & Kev
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

groves3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya everyone, firstly thanks so much for all your lovely messages.

To Mandy & Kev in particular, hope you don't mind me picking your brains......ive secured a post as an adult Nurse / manager with the David Thompson Health Region, most probably based at Red Deer Regional Hosp. Was wondering how long your application to CARNA took and how your finding the visa application process? Thats great you've recently been out to Red Deer.......we plan to as soon as we can. Although we've travelled all over Canada previously we haven't been to Red Deer & theres only so much info you can get from the internet! So, whats it like?????

Be great to hear from anyone on this site that has any info on living / working in Red Deer. Were still finding our way around this site so please bear with us!

Take care all, Kelly, Darren & Marshall x
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:52 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Darren
Hi Darren. Kelly and Marshall welcome to BE.
We travelled with a 4 year old (I know a little older_) and took a portable media player to play her favourite cartoons ( maybe a portable DVD player), lots of colouring, reading books, though a lot of the time she just wandered up and down the aisle. I saw younger children and they slept all the way (lucky parents!) so hopefully yours will do that.
Good luck on your journey and if Kelly needs any help there are lots of nurses on the board ( me included) just ask.
Terese
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:55 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Darren

Hello and welcome to what we call the Mad house, sorry BE.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:14 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya! As you can see I am Red Deer based, been here since 2005 although I'm not a nursey person I can maybe help out in others ways! Congrats on the job offer, hope your move goes well.

Didn't manage to meet up with Mandy and Kev whilst they were here, but am sure we will when they move over as we have mutual friends. There are tonnes of brits in and around Red Deer, there is hardly a week going by without me meeting a new one The more the merrier
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

HI Kelly, Darren and Marshall.

We had a very positive time in Red Deer as you may have gathered.
Well here goes on the CARNA time line for me.

Started writing to all training and uni's early July 2008, posted my info to CARNA 23rd July. Had a response from CARNA (after I e-mailed them to tell them I had renewed my UK Reg). I was told that all my info had been recieved and was in the processing file(!) and my file was active since 30th July. November 12th 2008 I recieved a letter and file number informing me of my eligability to apply for a temporary permit to work as a graduate nurse. I will then need to register to sit and pass the CRNE before I can have full RN status.

My only advice is get as much evidence as you can on the forms to send to CARNA. I have been lucky and the process has been painless. The time does seen to drag. I never knew a week could be so long.

I have been advised not to apply for my Temp registration until I have my work permit and am ready to start work. So two weeks before I commence employment I will apply to CARNA.

In all this process so far with CARNA only took a total of 16 weeks.

I have my medical booked for Thursday 12th Feb.

Can I be cheeky and just add Piff Poff we are looking forward to meeting you.

Kelly if I can help anymore or you would like more info please pm and I will do my best to help.

Mandy & Kev
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome and good luck
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:19 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trophy
HI Kelly, Darren and Marshall.

We had a very positive time in Red Deer as you may have gathered.
Well here goes on the CARNA time line for me.

Started writing to all training and uni's early July 2008, posted my info to CARNA 23rd July. Had a response from CARNA (after I e-mailed them to tell them I had renewed my UK Reg). I was told that all my info had been recieved and was in the processing file(!) and my file was active since 30th July. November 12th 2008 I recieved a letter and file number informing me of my eligability to apply for a temporary permit to work as a graduate nurse. I will then need to register to sit and pass the CRNE before I can have full RN status.

My only advice is get as much evidence as you can on the forms to send to CARNA. I have been lucky and the process has been painless. The time does seen to drag. I never knew a week could be so long.

I have been advised not to apply for my Temp registration until I have my work permit and am ready to start work. So two weeks before I commence employment I will apply to CARNA.

In all this process so far with CARNA only took a total of 16 weeks.

I have my medical booked for Thursday 12th Feb.

Can I be cheeky and just add Piff Poff we are looking forward to meeting you.

Kelly if I can help anymore or you would like more info please pm and I will do my best to help.

Mandy & Kev

That wouldn't be because there is a cheap bike on offer would it???? No seriously, looking forward to meeting you guys too!
Old Feb 8th 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

That wouldn't be because there is a cheap bike on offer would it???? No seriously, looking forward to meeting you guys too!

Don't know if I'm going to be allowed the bike yet. Looks like we both need to do some work on persuading Mandy.

Hopefully see you in a few months time.

Kev