Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just starting out... overwhelmed!

Just starting out... overwhelmed!

Old Mar 18th 2012, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Wigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud of
Default Just starting out... overwhelmed!

I'm a 25 year old from the UK, and about to start a bachelors degree in September this year. So, for the time being, I am relatively trapped here in the UK. Despite this I have decided that I no longer want to remain here once I am done with my study. However, I am finding it difficult to decide on which country I would like to settle in.

I have too many options available to me! I am single, have no family ties, and have a very limited social circle *plays a tiny violin* I could quite literally pack up and go anywhere.

I had thought that perhaps Canada would be my first choice, though the more I look into it the less demand I see for my chosen career path. My parents are in the process of emigrating to Australia and I could eventually join them, though I'm not sure I really want to!

As part of my degree course I can choose to study for a semester in another country, I was planning on a trip to Canada (although I could go anywhere in the world!) to see what it was like and thus killing two birds with one stone.

I have already studied at Post Graduate level in Counselling, and could pursue accreditation. Though having done this for a time, I did not find it to be a career I enjoyed.

I'm just really overwhelmed with making the decision when I have so many options open to me. I know that I have 3 years before I graduate so this might seem a little premature to some, but I want to make sure that whilst at university I can take advantage of things that may give me a better chance in emigrating to another county (i.e. study abroad)

Any help would be most appreciated! I'm really at a loss!
Old Mar 18th 2012, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just starting out... overwhelmed!

Hi, just a few questions

As this is your 2nd degree, does this mean that you are changing your carer path or enhancing an existing one. If canada and Australia are not your priorities are you looking at USA? New Zealand.

I am not being negative but being 25, single and starting a degrees unfortunately does not open up the world to you. I don't even think this is an option if you are a millionaire (I could be wrong, and maybe you can buy a visa).

Also you may need some post degree experience in your chosen career, as I am sure jobs are not easy to come by in most countries with just a degree.

Take a trip out to Oz and see your parents when they go, also take a holiday to Canada and get a feel for the place.

Hopefully it will all come together in the next couple of years.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 5:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wigglebury

I had thought that perhaps Canada would be my first choice, though the more I look into it the less demand I see for my chosen career path.
What is your chosen career path?

You will still be young enough when you graduate to apply for an IEC working holiday visa. It will give you the opportunity to try Canada and see if it suits.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Obtaining the right visa to allow you to live in another country is not a short process... Three years is not too early

Check the wiki on this site to see the different visa options that may apply to you.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Wigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud ofWigglebury has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sadieb
Hi, just a few questions

As this is your 2nd degree, does this mean that you are changing your carer path or enhancing an existing one. If canada and Australia are not your priorities are you looking at USA? New Zealand.
This is my first bachelor's degree, but I have done Post Grad study. I've done it in a bit of a jumbled order, but that's because at present the rules for training as a counsellor are a bit different to other jobs. It doesn't require a bachelor degree (though you can do that)

I think Canada is my priority and at the moment I'm in talks with the university about a semester spent studying/living in Toronto.

Also you may need some post degree experience in your chosen career, as I am sure jobs are not easy to come by in most countries with just a degree
I've had the opportunity to get some fantastic experience within my employment history. I've always thrown myself into trying new directions. I've worked for both the MoD and NHS, and have recently been working within the "social service" areas.

Originally Posted by JonboyE
What is your chosen career path?
I think after my bachelor degree I am aiming towards an 18 month masters in Social Work, though I may have saved enough by then to pursue this in Canada, and I'm still exploring this option.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think after my bachelor degree I am aiming towards an 18 month masters in Social Work, though I may have saved enough by then to pursue this in Canada, and I'm still exploring this option.
It is not a field I know a lot about (i.e. nothing) but I believe the masters degree is more or less a requirement here. There is usually a lot of palava around getting "foreign" qualifications recognized in Canada. This might be a good place to start http://www.casw-acts.ca/.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is not a field I know a lot about (i.e. nothing) but I believe the masters degree is more or less a requirement here. There is usually a lot of palava around getting "foreign" qualifications recognized in Canada. This might be a good place to start http://www.casw-acts.ca/.
Thanks!
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

This is my first bachelor's degree, but I have done Post Grad study. I've done it in a bit of a jumbled order, but that's because at present the rules for training as a counsellor are a bit different to other jobs. It doesn't require a bachelor degree (though you can do that)

I think Canada is my priority and at the moment I'm in talks with the university about a semester spent studying/living in Toronto.

I've had the opportunity to get some fantastic experience within my employment history. I've always thrown myself into trying new directions. I've worked for both the MoD and NHS, and have recently been working within the "social service" areas.

You've left this a bit late. By the time you'll have finished you be thirty or so. How about doing a degree in accounting, people always need trained accountants and its a profession that won't be as discriminatory about age.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
You've left this a bit late. By the time you'll have finished you be thirty or so. How about doing a degree in accounting, people always need trained accountants and its a profession that won't be as discriminatory about age.
I haven't left it a bit late. There's no age limit on education, in fact learning is a lifelong thing.

I don't want to do a degree in accounting, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:44 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't left it a bit late. There's no age limit on education, in fact learning is a lifelong thing.

Just trying to help. I've tutored a lot of mature students in my time and many don't seem to take their age into consideration when choosing their subjects. They up moaning like merry hell when they can't get a job in their chosen field and end up serving coffee at Starbucks or selling books at Chapters.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
Just trying to help. I've tutored a lot of mature students in my time and many don't seem to take their age into consideration when choosing their subjects. They up moaning like merry hell when they can't get a job in their chosen field and end up serving coffee at Starbucks or selling books at Chapters.
Not sure which part of that is supposed to be helpful. Seems rather pessimistic to me. Thankfully my degree is following on from the experience I've gained through employment, in order to help me progress.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

londonlisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I would agree re the pessimism. I am a Social Worker and have a family therapy MA and in my experience it is to your advantage to have experience behind you, both life and otherwise. Unsurprisingly, many people find it difficult to be counselled by someone who is 23 and fresh out of Uni. It is a profession which many people come to later in life so you will be in good company. Also in Ontario you need an initial degree first to get into a Social Work BA so students tend to be a little older. I studied in Ontario and was 25 by the time I qualified.

I think that your tentative plan to study for a semester in Toronto sounds like a good one. It would allow you to get a good feel for the place. At the moment Social Work is on the list of wanted occupations but this may change by the time you are done. I believe from reading other posts a degree (preferably an MA) is needed. Are you studying for a SW'er BA now? Sorry if I have missed something.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by londonlisa
Are you studying for a SW'er BA now? Sorry if I have missed something.
Hi, thanks for the response. My BA will be in crime and criminal justice. I had proposed to take advantage of the 18 month MA in Social Work after completing the BA. Hope that clears things up?
Old Mar 19th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Good answer, and I think you have a great plan. I started my PhD at 44 and my husband has been a qualified accountant for 20 years and has just done his MBA
(he did hate every minute of it ha ha).

learning is lifelong, I love your attitude.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Good answer, and I think you have a great plan. I started my PhD at 44 and my husband has been a qualified accountant for 20 years and has just done his MBA
(he did hate every minute of it ha ha).

learning is lifelong, I love your attitude.
Thank you Sadie. I was a little worried I came across as snarky. I understand some people think that I have left it a little late, but as mentioned by londonlisa:

in my experience it is to your advantage to have experience behind you, both life and otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.