British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Just started the journey..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/just-started-journey-483735/)

Dean1 Sep 26th 2007 7:36 pm

Just started the journey.....

Hi everyone, stumbled across this site while researching our move to Alberta and some great info..... look forward to talking to you guys.
Our file started processing in early July this year, so a while to wait yet but really excited for the future and bringing our 2 little kids up in Canada..:thumbsup:

amardan Sep 26th 2007 7:46 pm

Re: Just started the journey.....

Hi and welcome

What application are you waiting to be processed

Robin (The Gadget family) Sep 26th 2007 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dean1 (Post 5357979)
Hi everyone, stumbled across this site while researching our move to Alberta and some great info..... look forward to talking to you guys.
Our file started processing in early July this year, so a while to wait yet but really excited for the future and bringing our 2 little kids up in Canada..:thumbsup:

Hi Dean and welcome to BE. There is stacks of info here and all of it as a result of members experiences. It's worth having a search through the forum before you ask, just to see if anyone else has experienced what you need to know.
We're all either playing a waiting game of varying lengths and for various reasons or already there living the dream.
Are you going over on a work permit as a result of a job offer? Where abouts do you intend to move to. You're bound to find others on here going to the same area or who are already there.
So, enjoy the wait and enjoy coming to the forum to do whatever, it took me a while to become familiar with everything that is on here. Right clicking on someones profile, for example will give you options you might not be aware of.
See you around :)
Robin

Dean1 Sep 26th 2007 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by amardan (Post 5358027)
Hi and welcome

What application are you waiting to be processed

Skilled worker, so they say about 2 yrs before your really hear from anyone at the office, right?

Dean1 Sep 26th 2007 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family) (Post 5358060)
Hi Dean and welcome to BE. There is stacks of info here and all of it as a result of members experiences. It's worth having a search through the forum before you ask, just to see if anyone else has experienced what you need to know.
We're all either playing a waiting game of varying lengths and for various reasons or already there living the dream.
Are you going over on a work permit as a result of a job offer? Where abouts do you intend to move to. You're bound to find others on here going to the same area or who are already there.
So, enjoy the wait and enjoy coming to the forum to do whatever, it took me a while to become familiar with everything that is on here. Right clicking on someones profile, for example will give you options you might not be aware of.
See you around :)
Robin

Thanks Robyn,
We're going in on skilled worker, as my wife is a special needs primary school teacher and I own a property maintenance company, we are looking for jobs which we have been told if we get a job offer it will speed up the process and get the visas in 6 months

So we'll see and thanks for the advise
Dean

moondevil Sep 26th 2007 8:02 pm

Hi Dean and welcome to BE

Skilled worker time lines are currently 5+ years :curse:

Job offer with a posative LMO can get you out there in a few months and then quickens the process up.
Not sure what your wife will need for teaching, but have you looked at the invester route ??

Gill

Robin (The Gadget family) Sep 26th 2007 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dean1 (Post 5358076)
Skilled worker, so they say about 2 yrs before your really hear from anyone at the office, right?

We have been quoted 42-48 months!

Dean1 Sep 26th 2007 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew (Post 5358114)
Hi Dean and welcome to BE

Skilled worker time lines are currently 5+ years :curse:

Job offer with a posative LMO can get you out there in a few months and then quickens the process up.
Not sure what your wife will need for teaching, but have you looked at the invester route ??

Gill

Wow!!!!! I'll guess I will be looking for a job sooner rather than later then... what kind of investment $$$$ are they looking for?

moondevil Sep 26th 2007 8:15 pm

Just a quick search of google.ca have brought this up

http://employment.alberta.ca/cps/rde...s.xsl/563.html

Have a rea of the wiki above and also the cic site.
I am sure someone will come along with more info, but if you have a business idea and can show a good business plan you never know may open up door for you!!

Where in the uk are you ??
There is a show in york this weekend about immagration :thumbsup:

Gill

Dean1 Sep 26th 2007 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family) (Post 5358120)
We have been quoted 42-48 months!

How long have you been waiting so far Robin???

Dean1 Sep 26th 2007 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew (Post 5358175)
Just a quick search of google.ca have brought this up

http://employment.alberta.ca/cps/rde...s.xsl/563.html

Have a rea of the wiki above and also the cic site.
I am sure someone will come along with more info, but if you have a business idea and can show a good business plan you never know may open up door for you!!

Where in the uk are you ??
There is a show in york this weekend about immagration :thumbsup:

Gill

Thanks for that I'll have a read thru

I'm all the way down in Essex, but my parents went to that show a few yrs ago, they now live in Spruce Grove near Edmonton, got over there on a work visa earlier this year

Robin (The Gadget family) Sep 26th 2007 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dean1 (Post 5358184)
How long have you been waiting so far Robin???

Well as you will note on my above entry - we received our AOR - Acknowledgement Of Receipt on 1st August, like....just last month.....so we have a while to wait. This does suit us though because of needing to work just under 4 years more in order to be eligible for a small pension and a lump sum.
I haven't yet been able to drag myself away from the forum though, wonder if I'll be here throughout the next 4 years! (As well as after we get out there of course).

TinaH Sep 27th 2007 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dean1 (Post 5358199)
Thanks for that I'll have a read thru

I'm all the way down in Essex, but my parents went to that show a few yrs ago, they now live in Spruce Grove near Edmonton, got over there on a work visa earlier this year

Hi,

The immigration show is in Coventry next weekend (6th/7th ). We submitted SW back in Sept 05 not heard anything at all, husband managed to get a job offer and was accepted for PNP JUne this year - upto that point though not heard anything about SW application.....worth exploring lots of other avenues.....

good luck :thumbsup:

Tina :)

zippadydoda Oct 2nd 2007 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by TinaH (Post 5361174)
Hi,

The immigration show is in Coventry next weekend (6th/7th ). We submitted SW back in Sept 05 not heard anything at all, husband managed to get a job offer and was accepted for PNP JUne this year - upto that point though not heard anything about SW application.....worth exploring lots of other avenues.....

good luck :thumbsup:

Tina :)

That's great news! Do you mind me asking what line of work your husband does and how he managed to find work?
Thanks Alex